Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

jrhwdw

Wow dude, take a chill pill. Lets see you write up a whole story at 11 pm on a Saturday night...
Yeah! Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think Steve is a "On The Beat This Second Breaking News Reporter" Steve could have been home sleeping for all we know. The only reason the other sites had it so quick is prob they were in Skyliner Area to begin with.

Don't worry Steve! You're fine!

Sir_Cliff

I rode the skyliner opening day and enjoyed it but this is why they needed a monorail or people mover (people mover like at the Orlando airport, not the attraction) with dedicated emergency walkways. As usual... the cheap comes out expensive!
Perhaps this goes without saying, but gondola systems are being increasingly and effectively used as public transport systems in major cities around the world. We're not seeing monorail and people mover systems springing up in the same way. Monorails are cool, but I don't think many people would argue they are a model of efficiency when it comes to transporting large numbers of people. I think even Bob Gurr said something to that effect. So, it really made a lot of sense to consider a gondola system at WDW.

The fact that these systems work so effectively day in, day out in places like Medellin, Mexico City, and La Paz but couldn't go six days at Walt Disney World without a significant incident should be rather embarrassing for both Disney and Doppelmayr.

Last edited:

VaderTron

I have to say this forum overall has gotten real negative and not as fun as it was when I first started coming here.

Maybe it’s just part of the current times we live in.
This is a thread about a negative news item. It's expected there will be lots of negative information here. If you're looking for "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow.." there are threads on trip reports, what's your favorite ride threads, etc. Maybe wander over in that direction for a change of tone.

Lilofan

Mutual aid and back-fill from other agencies is always an option, just like any other jurisdiction.

It would probably be worse if RC was already primary on one large event when the Skyliner then goes down and needs an evac, than the other way around: While RC probably has the technical training (and now the experience) to evac the Skyliner compared to other agencies, they couldn't simply just drop what they're doing, say, on a large fire, and turn that operation over to other agenc(ies)
That would be an extreme disaster if that would ever to happen. Maybe the Disney meeting of the minds thought " What if...... " What a scene, guests stuck in midair, no AC, can one imagine if the skyliner vehicles get stuck for several hours during the day when the outside temps are hotter..

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
This is a thread about a negative news item. It's expected there will be lots of negative information here. If you're looking for "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow.." there are threads on trip reports, what's your favorite ride threads, etc. Maybe wander over in that direction for a change of tone.
Sure. But there's a big difference between measured, negative info about an event and "the sky is falling", "so much for the Skyliner", "see, I told you Disney made a big mistake!"

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I love Disney. We all do. Nobody wants to see these things but I just wish disney would have invested in some type of peoplemover trams at most places ground level like we see at airports and larger cities instead of taking the cheaper way out which also doesn’t look as good (my opinion)

They need to consider situations like this more. Front end cost vs bad PR costs now

Lilofan

Disney will give them the privilege of buying a limited edition "I was rescued from the gondolas" button for $19.99. T-shirts, mugs, and magnets also available for purchase.
Some savvy entrepreneur is probably printing up his own shirts to sell online..

Timmay

Good to know however if City of Orlando gets pulled away from their responsibilities and helps out Reedy Creek does Mickey get the bill from the City of Orlando fire dept?

They may. You would have to dig into the documented agreement.

Some agencies have fees, some don’t.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Perhaps this goes without saying, but gondola systems are being increasingly and effectively used as public transport systems in major cities around the world. We're not seeing monorail and people mover systems springing up in the same way. Monorails are cool, but I don't think many people would argue they are a model of efficiency when it comes to transporting large numbers of people. I think even Bob Gurr said something to that effect. So, it really made a lot of sense to consider a gondola system at WDW.

The fact that these systems work so effectively day in, day out in places like Medellin, Mexico City, and La Paz but couldn't go six days at Walt Disney World without a significant incident should be rather embarrassing for both Disney and Doppelmayr.
latest

What about Ogdenville and North Haverbrook?? It put them on the map.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom