Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

joelkfla

One thing I noticed on P2tP's video: When he entered the queue for Pop at CBR, the line was stopped. It looked like when it started moving, it was in "creep mode" for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then I could hear the engine accelerating.

It seems to me this would be a very reasonable "adjustment to our processes ... following a complete review with the manufacturer," considering that the pileup occurred when restarting after a stop.

I can't quantify it, but I also felt that they were slowing the system more frequently. That would also make sense, training operators to be more aggressive in anticipating a loading challenge and slowing the line before a stop becomes necessary.

raven

Other than slowing or stopping the system what more can a CM do to screw it up? If there are buttons which when pushed, cause the cabs to derail and crash into each other, there are larger systematic design problems here.
There are manual or “maintenance mode” options for most attractions where just about anything can be performed. Just sayin’.

Goodeone

I can't quantify it, but I also felt that they were slowing the system more frequently. That would also make sense, training operators to be more aggressive in anticipating a loading challenge and slowing the line before a stop becomes necessary.

As a life long skier, this is something that's incredibly common on chairlifts and gondolas at ski resorts. As the operators get more confident they will do exactly what you mentioned...slow the line down more often in terms of an anticipated issue, but come to a complete stop less often. Not sure what the actual difference would be in terms of capacity, but I'm sure it's not as alarming to the less familiar guests.

Patcheslee

There are manual or “maintenance mode” options for most attractions where just about anything can be performed. Just sayin’.
Any chance you'd know if that's the same type of "maintenance mode" manufacturing machines use? Put the system under standby for minor work while power is still needed to correct an issue. Sort of a step below lockout/tagout.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Rumor has it they're test marketing a new name for the Gondola, Disney's Slowliner.

They even picked out a new person for the voiceover announcements. (Which unless you are British or watched Top Gear/Grand Tour, you won't get the reference.)
MV5BMzc2MWU2Y2MtYzkzMy00YWM5LWI4NDQtYWIyZGRmMWFhMzJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMzMzk2Mjg@._V1_.jpg

trainplane3

Rumor has it they're test marketing a new name for the Gondola, Disney's Slowliner.

They even picked out a new person for the voiceover announcements. (Which unless are British or watched Top Gear/Grand Tour you have no taste and only watch American Top Gear for some terrible reason, you won't get the reference.)
MV5BMzc2MWU2Y2MtYzkzMy00YWM5LWI4NDQtYWIyZGRmMWFhMzJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMzMzk2Mjg@._V1_.jpg
Fixed.

I know they left the BBC for Amazon but my point still stands.

mp80237

There's a reason most amusement parks (and Disney) stopped using these as rides in their parks. They are inefficient, maintenance headaches, and I was shocked that Disney built these eyesores as a means of mass transportation. I am a little bewildered that some people question why others are questioning why Disney didn't shut down the entire system after the accident. The reason Disney would shut down the entire system is simple: they don't know that actual cause of the accident. They may have known at the time it was a power failure that caused the cabins to collide, but they most assuredly didn't know the cause of that power failure, and whether or not it could easily occur on the other line. They also didn't know if the rollback was indeed the result of that failure. It's about mitigating their liability. I am surprised Disney didn't shut it all down.

I live in Colorado. There are many many gondolas used in the Colorado mountains. There is even one gondola that takes you from a hotel in Avon, Colorado and ends at the base of Beaver Creek (a ski resort). In Whistler, BC, there is a gondola that will take you from one peak to another. I have been riding gondolas for well over 40 years. I can't wait to ride the one at Disney. Gondolas are not rare. They are just rare in the south. Gondolas are no longer inefficient. Those are the gondolas from the 60s and 70s. I have never heard of a gondola malfunction in Colorado. Ski lift, yes. But gondola no.

JoeCamel

I live in Colorado. There are many many gondolas used in the Colorado mountains. There is even one gondola that takes you from a hotel in Avon, Colorado and ends at the base of Beaver Creek (a ski resort). In Whistler, BC, there is a gondola that will take you from one peak to another. I have been riding gondolas for well over 40 years. I can't wait to ride the one at Disney. Gondolas are not rare. They are just rare in the south. Gondolas are no longer inefficient. Those are the gondolas from the 60s and 70s. I have never heard of a gondola malfunction in Colorado. Ski lift, yes. But gondola no.
Just because you don't know about an accident does not mean it hasn't happened

Last edited:

tissandtully

tissandtully

So did you guys know that Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland derailed and killed 1 and injured 10? o_O

The Skyliner is no more dangerous than most rides at the parks (and is actually MUCh less risky). The hyperbole in this thread is starting to get at the pre-opening levels.
It really is crazy how over dramatic everyone is... you'd think there was a mass casualty event every day with some of these comments.

RaveOnEd

So did you guys know that Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland derailed and killed 1 and injured 10? o_O

The Skyliner is no more dangerous than most rides at the parks (and is actually MUCh less risky). The hyperbole in this thread is starting to get at the pre-opening levels.
"You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan"
-Lt. Frank Drebin

mdcpr

They 'aint Disneyworld.
They're not Americans
They're not Disneyworld customers.
They're not people paying thousands of dollars on their busy vacation possibly a once in many years - or even lifetime vacation.
What's interesting is that the people from Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela who visit WDW probably know how to ride Gondalas, and spend way more money than a lot of Americans on this board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom