Disney Sketches

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I have been curious about these sketches for some time as I have a few myself of Mickey, Figment & Roger Rabbit....I'm referring to these pieces of artwork as an example..
400000027389%20(1).jpg

What I wanted to know is are these really hand drawn? or are they just Being traced because when I was at the Art of Disney at DTD the stand at the desk the artist was working on was brightly lit and with the Big Binder of characters to choose from it seems they have a number order they go to finding said design...Anyone Know??

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster

DisneyKiwi

I'm referring to the Artists that do the constant artwork at Art of Disney...As you can see at the bottom there's the said binder I mentioned...

Judging by the photo looks like they could be tracing/using the picture as a guide. Probably people aspiring to be Disney character artists would be doing that job - a great way to practice.

CP_alum08

From what i can remember it's mostly tracing with a little bit of freehand if you want a name or other small detail added.

Judging by the photo looks like they could be tracing/using the picture as a guide. Probably people aspiring to be Disney character artists would be doing that job - a great way to practice.

I sat there and watched two different artists in two different locations and they weren't tracing. If they were it was extremely subtle, plus there weren't any sketches that were the same. We got a Rapunzel sketch and her hair was way too smooth to have been traced. It would have been a bunch of small lines. This was very long lines that were uninterrupted.

DisneyKiwi

I sat there and watched two different artists in two different locations and they weren't tracing. If they were it was extremely subtle, plus there weren't any sketches that were the same. We got a Rapunzel sketch and her hair was way too smooth to have been traced. It would have been a bunch of small lines. This was very long lines that were uninterrupted.

You'll probably find that each sketch will be handled differently depending on the artist and their experience drawing said character.

For example an artist experienced at drawing Rapunzel could probably do the entire sketch without the need to trace or use of a reference image, but ask them to sketch someone less popular e.g Kuzco from Emperors New Groove and they'll probably need to trace or use a reference image.

Most of them have probably been asked to draw Anna, Elsa, Olaf, Rapunzel, Ariel etc enough times that they don't need to use the reference images at all for those characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom