Disney Shirts!

Figments Friend

Thanks so much I'm going to try painting a pair of leggings for my daughter (she want's to be Vanellope for Halloween) and I was worried about major cracking from the regular fabric paint we used in the 80s and 90s

You are welcome.
Fabric paint has come a long way since then. I used to be frustrated as a teen looking for decent paint to use on fabrics and all that was available was
the 'cracking' kind , puffy paint ( that swells up once dry to create 3D effects on fabric ), and glow in the dark paint ( which rocks ) !

Back in 2002 i discovered the Polymark brand and it was a revelation. I so wished i had found it earlier...and it existed in the 80's when i was making my early shirts.

Sadly the store i usually purchase my art supplies no longer carries the brand, so i had to switch to the 'Scribbles' product which seems just the same. Perhaps it is actually the same company/brand, they just changed the name ?

Good luck with the leggings. This fabric paint we have been talking about should work perfectly for those!
Have fun !

:)

kbmum

Other brands i have tried with mixed results are Tulip and basic Benjamin Moore oil base paints.
I found the Tulip brand paint cracked eventually on fabric after a couple of years use

I was surprised to read this. I've been using Tulip flexible fabric paint, the matte paints in particular, and haven't experienced any cracking after years of use. I've worn and washed this shirt I made many, many times and it looks as good as the day I made it.

Figments Friend

I was surprised to read this. I've been using Tulip flexible fabric paint, the matte paints in particular, and haven't experienced any cracking after years of use. I've worn and washed this shirt I made many, many times and it looks as good as the day I made it.

GREAT shirt !

Glad to hear that Tulip works for you.
Perhaps their products have improved since i last tried them, or i was simply using a different version.
I see you mentioned using their matte finish paints and getting good results.

I believe the version i had tried was a more glossy finish, and i also used some of their liquid glitter paint.
I liked how they went on ..nice and smooth with a brush....but after repeated washings/dryings the paint became less flexible and the designs eventually became cracked.
I guess that is kind of okay, since the *distressed look* is now the hottest fashion in t-shirts...ha ha...but the designs i like to do now require a lot a detail work.
Cannot have those crackling up after a few years wear...

I like what i am using now...it holds up extremely well.

Last edited:

kbmum

GREAT shirt !

Glad to hear that Tulip works for you.
Perhaps their products have improved since i last tried them, or i was simply using a different version.
I see you mentioned using their matte finish paints and getting good results.

I believe the version i had tried was a more glossy finish, and i also used some of their liquid glitter paint.
I liked how they went on ..nice and smooth with a brush....but after repeated washings/dryings the paint became less flexible and the designs eventually became cracked.
I guess that is kind of okay, since the *distressed look* is now the hottest fashion in t-shirts...ha ha...but the designs i like to do now require a lot a detail work.
Cannot have those crackling up after a few years wear...

I like what i am using now...it holds up extremely well.

It might be the finish. I've never been happy with the glossier paints, but I'll have to give Polymark or Scribbles a whirl and see if I can get the same results as you. I used Scribbles a long time ago and the paint cracked and eventually peeled off in spots. It sounds like they've improved the brand.

Your shirts are beautiful, by the way. :)

Figments Friend

It might be the finish. I've never been happy with the glossier paints, but I'll have to give Polymark or Scribbles a whirl and see if I can get the same results as you. I used Scribbles a long time ago and the paint cracked and eventually peeled off in spots. It sounds like they've improved the brand.

Your shirts are beautiful, by the way. :)

Thank you for the compliment.
:D

Polymark has really impressed me. I never thought i would ever find a fabric paint that would go on so smooth and last longer then the actual fabric itself.
I have had no issues with that brand paint at all..and my shirts see a LOT of action.

The Scribbles brand is new to me...so the jury is still out on my overall final impression.
So far, so good. It seems to apply and dry to the texture/quality of Polymark...and behaves exactly the same which is great.
I was quite concerned when my local art shop stopped carrying the brand...so Scribbles has had to fill in.
It has been a great relief to find it seems to be the same decent product.

Raoul

The prints are looking great!
Just a quick question, do you redesign the designs before printing or is it "just" grabbing them from internet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom