News Disney Sets Sights on Possible Hollywood Land Reimagining at Disney California Adventure

TP2000

Well, where is Unite Here going to get illegal aliens for their protests?

To be fair, I think the USCIS building is for legal immigrants filing paperwork and paying fees and taxes the right way to become legal citizens, and/or people bringing products into the country legally via the Customs process.

But I believe it's also an office for people caught breaking Customs law by not declaring everything in their luggage and getting caught at the airport, etc.

Regardless, I can easily imagine there has been quite a parade of human drama in that building over the years. But at least the people going in there for services and appointments are trying to work within the legal system. :D

PiratesMansion

If this happens? Good. I'd consider everything save the theater (and if they're going to do this, they should finally build it a proper lobby!) expendable, though a part of me would be sad to lose the lobby of the animation building.

Not holding my breath that this will actually proceed any time soon, though.

Professortango1

If this happens? Good. I'd consider everything save the theater (and if they're going to do this, they should finally build it a proper lobby!) expendable, though a part of me would be sad to lose the lobby of the animation building.

Considering the animation building hasn't been fully functional in years, I'd be willing to let it go. Too big a space to have areas just closed off and the open areas be meh. I like drawing, but Turtle Talk and Beast's Library are certainly ready to move along.

TP2000

Considering the animation building hasn't been fully functional in years, I'd be willing to let it go. Too big a space to have areas just closed off and the open areas be meh. I like drawing, but Turtle Talk and Beast's Library are certainly ready to move along.

Agreed. It's not aging well 20 years later. Closing off chunks of it and letting most of it gather cobwebs isn't helping.

They did a "big refurb" to it a few years ago, but all they did was replace the carpet and swap out the film projectors for digital projectors.

It needs a full creative rethink if it's going to stick around for another decade or two. And it needed this 5 years ago.

TP2000

This was just puff piece talk from a low level executive. With the Chinese parks closed indefinitely, I can't imagine they are moving forward with major new capital expenditures for any park any time soon.

This project will sit around Glendale for another few years, and my hunch is that absolute best case scenario is that something gets announced at D23 Expo 2023. But it wouldn't surprise me if they don't move on this until a few years after that even.

When you Google this DCA exec, Patrick Finnegan, you get this little gem from last summer. I forgot how funny this was!

SSG

Someone please refresh my memory, and forgive my ignorance, but who was it here that dug into the federal documents years ago to discover the lease agreements with USCIS? Was it @SSG? @FerretAfros? @mickEblu?

We still owe that person a drink!

the simpsons hello GIF

TP2000

You were my first choice SSG! But I couldn't dust the cobwebs off enough in my brain to remember exactly. :D

Thank you again for that. It continues to be helpful info!

SSG

You were my first choice SSG! But I couldn't dust the cobwebs off enough in my brain to remember exactly. :D

Thank you again for that. It continues to be helpful info!

This was the post from a couple years back.

Location Code: CA7637
Lease Number: LCA01532
Street Address: 1585 S MANCHESTER AVE
City: ANAHEIM
State: CA
Zip Code: 92802
Lease Effective Date: 4/7/2005
Lease Expiration Date: 4/6/2020
Building Rentable Sqft: 67,424
Available Sqft: 0
Congr. District: 0646

D.Silentu

The major question in my mind is whether they would bother to keep the Hyperion. Is such a large dedicated theater space relevant to to a Disney park anymore? Last I visited, the Frozen show seemed popular, but that was some time ago and then it was relatively fresh. It seems to me that whatever is in store, the Hollywood theme is unlikely to survive the transition. I imagine a good sized attraction would fit on that theater plot and serve as a proper 'weenie' for the new area, being visible to your left when entering the park.

Last edited:

Snow Queen

I like the Hyperion as far as show spaces go, but it's not something I'd miss, especially not with that eyesore exterior. Ever since they removed the Muppets, I've been up for just bulldozing the whole place. Animation building is a nice lobby but not remotely worth the plot of land. Monsters Inc might be the worst dark ride at the resort. The empty show buildings make the backlot feel desolate and the exposed structural support beams and stage equipment make you feel like you're walking through an area you shouldn't be allowed to. Nothing of real significance would be lost flattening the land. A few years ago, I would have advocated for expanding the land and splitting it in half, with a Hollywood section and a tunnel into Toontown, allowing that space to be opened up in Disneyland, but obviously that ship has sailed.

George Lucas on a Bench

Hyperion could also be gutted and turned into an elaborate multi-level dark ride. But I do think DLR needs that type of stage show as entertainment. There are so few shows.

TP2000

This was the post from a couple years back.

Location Code: CA7637
Lease Number: LCA01532
Street Address: 1585 S MANCHESTER AVE
City: ANAHEIM
State: CA
Zip Code: 92802
Lease Effective Date: 4/7/2005
Lease Expiration Date: 4/6/2020
Building Rentable Sqft: 67,424
Available Sqft: 0
Congr. District: 0646

Thank you! So the lease expires in 60 days. It will be interesting to see what happens to this building by May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom