Disney sees studio revenue soar 21% after 'Black Panther' crushed expectations

Rteetz

Because I walk down the same line of rooms every day and remember which rooms had no guests. Unless the guests make their beds every morning. If you understand random sampling, wings of rooms are kind of a random sample so if 80% are empty, you can generalize that to mean the resort is roughly "half" empty and certainly not only 10% empty.
Disney wouldn't really lie bout occupancy rates. They have nothing to gain from that. You have to remember also 90% occupancy is domestic so that includes Aulani, Disneyland, WDW, and other DVC resorts. Disney also has several WDW resorts under renovations right now with large sections out of service.

In my trips I wouldn't consider walking down the same line of rooms during my trip to be an accurate representation of occupancy at a resort let alone domestically.

Jimmy Thick

Um do people know if Disney is lying about “occupancy rates” it could be considered fraud with terrible repercussions? Does that make sense? Or just fake dollars? Really nothing to criticize here......

Either way during these little hullabaloo’s it pays to be totally transparent.

I now leave you to your regularly scheduled budget cut theories with no merit.

jakeman

Also by looking in the windows and seeing empty rooms. No one in the rooms next to us. Yet when you try to book there's no availability. I'm pretty sure the buildings that ARE actually dark for renovation are not included in the ratio, so I really don't understand how they calculate 90%. The sort of opposite question is how is there no DVC availability when you can pay cash on reservation site for them! haha off topic don't answer that!
Oh...you're serious.

I wasn't. Sorry, buddy.

peter11435

Also by looking in the windows and seeing empty rooms. No one in the rooms next to us. Yet when you try to book there's no availability. I'm pretty sure the buildings that ARE actually dark for renovation are not included in the ratio, so I really don't understand how they calculate 90%. The sort of opposite question is how is there no DVC availability when you can pay cash on reservation site for them! haha off topic don't answer that!
You realize the post you quoted here was actually making fun of you.

Your assumptions about resort occupancy are very very wrong.

jakeman

Disney wouldn't really lie bout occupancy rates. They have nothing to gain from that. You have to remember also 90% occupancy is domestic so that includes Aulani, Disneyland, WDW, and other DVC resorts. Disney also has several WDW resorts under renovations right now with large sections out of service.

In my trips I wouldn't consider walking down the same line of rooms during my trip to be an accurate representation of occupancy at a resort let alone domestically.
I prefer counting the number of unused hamburger buns in the dumpster behind Cosmic Ray's at the end of the day to judge attendance.

Bairstow

It wasn't and that is not the reason it didn't perform well. You are projecting your beliefs and assuming your beliefs to be universal and they were the overarching reason it didn't succeed.

He's got a point, though.
Wrinkle's secular edits, combined with its female-heavy cast and mixed-race leads, and the fact that the media extensively focused its inclusive nature in its coverage seemed almost perfectly calibrated to irritate a certain, large American voting demographic. This was all very noble on Disney's part, but no one following the current cultural trends in America should be surprised that it failed to gain universal appeal.

Yellow Strap

He's got a point, though.
Wrinkle's secular edits, combined with its female-heavy cast and mixed-race leads, and the fact that the media extensively focused its inclusive nature in its coverage seemed almost perfectly calibrated to irritate a certain, large American voting demographic. This was all very noble on Disney's part, but no one following the current cultural trends in America should be surprised that it failed to gain universal appeal.

What the hell is that BS you just said???

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
And still no mention of a stock split, yesterday by bobby i when he was on the stock market show live. Its been 17 years. I wish Michael Eisner was Back he, liked giving us stock. What gives bobby”
I feel like I'm being trolled here. You don't seriously think that you get anything when there is a stock split, do you? A stock split is equivalent to exchanging your 10 dollar bill for two fives.

winstongator

Original Poster
As the parking fees start kicking in they should get another nice 20% boost in guest spending. I'm trying to figure out how occupancy is at 90% though -- there is no way. I bet a lot of the resorts are only half filled most of the time. They must black out rooms to make that look higher.
There are severe penalties for lying in quarterly and annual reports. There might be some minor changes to the denominator, but the parks were packed my last visit. I've also checked into a room at 1am, and was out by 8, so looking at that room for most of 2 days, it would look empty, but would be booked for each.

winstongator

Original Poster

The penalties for lying in annual reports, where they quote occupancy rates, would nowhere be worth any benefit for having the higher occupancies. There'd be huge shareholder lawsuits, Iger'd be fired, and people could potentially go to jail.

Disone

As the parking fees start kicking in they should get another nice 20% boost in guest spending. I'm trying to figure out how occupancy is at 90% though -- there is no way. I bet a lot of the resorts are only half filled most of the time. They must black out rooms to make that look higher.

Updated for clarity.
No. You are grossly under estimating how full the resorts are. Almost none of the resorts are ever half empty. And I'm not talking about available inventory I'm talking about actual inventory.

The real occupancy is probably lower than 90% because total available inventory has been lowered a little bit by refurbishments. It's also easier for Coronado Springs to reach 100% right now because it's missing a small section of rooms were there currently building a tower. That has lowered its available room inventory making it easier to reach a hundred percent. But by and large, a Disney Resort at 50% just does not happen. I know your intuition is telling you otherwise, but honestly it does really does not happen.

Also if they were to be caught lying about such a thing and inflating numbers on a publicly made and very official shareholder report, the backlash would be horrendously bad for them. Not worth the risk.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In a few years time the 10 would become $20 anyway.

Also, where is this idea that you double your dividends with a stock split coming from?

Typically the dividend is split, same as the stock.
Well, I've typically sold my DIS well before the splits, so I haven't actually experienced one... but I have watched the stock after the splits, and it has typically grown again back into split territory... which historically has been ~ $120 a share IIRC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom