News Disney Riviera Resort announced

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, July 14, 2018. Here is a distance view of the top of the Riviera Resort from the elevated monorail inside Epcot. The lakeside Mexican restaurant, the Norway tower, and the Chinese blue pagoda are in the center of the photo.

IMG_0600.JPG

Skibum1970

If this turns out like the concept art, I am going to have to try and stay there. I like the look of the hotel. Of course, it will still depend on pricing. I'm not breaking the bank for this place and Disney is getting expensive for just tickets.

nickys

Premium Member
Any word on amenities? That’s really the whole ballgame here.

Nothing other than a rooftop restaurant (likely signature) and the fact that DVC are talking about this being their “flagship resort”.

The pool area doesn’t look that big or interesting, which is a shame and immediately casts doubt on just how good the resort really is going to be, IMO. I would hope that it will expanded in some way, with a splash play area and also that a quiet pool is added.

Bocabear

It is ridiculous that Universal can build a moderate resort like Cabana Bay that has amenities that far surpass Disney's Premium resorts... Look at the pools and Lazy rivers at Cabana bay compared to what they offer at any of the Disney hotels... Thisnpool area appears to be another boring Disney 4' deep pool...will probably have one not so interesting slide like all the others... Not sure why they can't do better on their premium resort amenities...

nickys

Premium Member
It is ridiculous that Universal can build a moderate resort like Cabana Bay that has amenities that far surpass Disney's Premium resorts... Look at the pools and Lazy rivers at Cabana bay compared to what they offer at any of the Disney hotels... Thisnpool area appears to be another boring Disney 4' deep pool...will probably have one not so interesting slide like all the others... Not sure why they can't do better on their premium resort amenities...

I’m sure they can, they just choose not to. Probably because they don’t have to, people still book and stay and their occupancy is still high. :(

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing other than a rooftop restaurant (likely signature) and the fact that DVC are talking about this being their “flagship resort”.

The pool area doesn’t look that big or interesting, which is a shame and immediately casts doubt on just how good the resort really is going to be, IMO. I would hope that it will expanded in some way, with a splash play area and also that a quiet pool is added.

“Signature” is a hollow term these days...especially if they are now converting “signatures“ Into porker buffets🤓

And I don’t trust anything DDC says about “flagship”...lol...they made Saratoga out to be shangri la and it was a failed retread...bay lake was a “crown jewel” that’s pretty bleh....and on an on.

My take is in agreement with yours: the amenities don’t look impressive...which means a DVC of old key caliber on moderate grounds at 4x the okw price.

I hope not.

There was tons of indignation when this was announced that went kinda like this:

“This is a separate, DELUXE resort on separate grounds from the moderate.”

Hmmm...so THATS why they ripped apart/expanded OPR first as they knocked down 384 Caribbean rooms??

...separate...makes total sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

...you’re not wrong. The problem is that DVC is still selling with less amenities going in. The last semi interesting add on pool is kidsni and that was 2009 opening? Bland pools and food add ons since.

That’s not so bad when they’re being strapped to the Eisner or Roy upper end hotels....but it doesn’t play at moderates.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The location and shape of that pool makes me think that would be the "quiet pool" and not the feature. I'd expect the main pool to be on the section closer to the water which is still a very large undeveloped area of land.

Perhaps...it would be nice if they built a real feature pool. Which has not been done since DAKL...or perhaps the Saratoga main one.

nickys

Premium Member
The location and shape of that pool makes me think that would be the "quiet pool" and not the feature. I'd expect the main pool to be on the section closer to the water which is still a very large undeveloped area of land.

I hope you’re right! Makes sense too they’d dig this one out first as it’s bang in the middle of the construction area.

nickys

Premium Member
...you’re not wrong. The problem is that DVC is still selling with less amenities going in. The last semi interesting add on pool is kidsni and that was 2009 opening? Bland pools and food add ons since.

That’s not so bad when they’re being strapped to the Eisner or Roy upper end hotels....but it doesn’t play at moderates.

I know you’ve always peddled this “add-on to CBR” theory.

I don’t. There is no way they send everyone over to CBR to use their feature pool, or for a QS. For all sorts of reasons, but mainly because that is not the way to market DVC, it opens a can of worms which makes it impossible to balance cost per point, MFs and points charts with the DVC framework. Plus the “flagship” comments.

Lensman

A year ago, @MisterPenguin posted the following picture from D23 that shows the main pool on the peninsula.
upload_2017-7-20_3-56-11.png

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-riviera-resort-announced.929272/post-7813322

BTW, I searched but couldn't find any plans from any filed permits. Have we not found any?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A year ago, @MisterPenguin posted the following picture from D23 that shows the main pool on the peninsula.
View attachment 298299
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-riviera-resort-announced.929272/post-7813322

BTW, I searched but couldn't find any plans from any filed permits. Have we not found any?

Only the permits that also gave away the Gondola game, which just shows the outline of the Riviera tower and the new retention ponds. Back then we were wondering what that online could be, for surely no one would build a resort in that shape...

1532459695717.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know you’ve always peddled this “add-on to CBR” theory.

I don’t. There is no way they send everyone over to CBR to use their feature pool, or for a QS. For all sorts of reasons, but mainly because that is not the way to market DVC, it opens a can of worms which makes it impossible to balance cost per point, MFs and points charts with the DVC framework. Plus the “flagship” comments.

You know? ...oh do tell. I don’t recall peddling that theory here...🤓

Well...you Have to assess based on the informational available. And that’s where it points - for now.

If you look at it: the “overpriced corridor” is lining up in spectacular fashion.

It was started with AoA...the most overpriced rooms in Disney history. Followed by moving moderates (cringe) to rack rates of almost $300 a night and rising...now the first ever “mod squad” DVC...and pop will follow after ski lift...perhaps a redo before that one?

Here’s where my basis comes from: spending dimes on DVC services is like pulling teeth. It is viewed as a “drag/loss” on profits. They HAVE to add some stuff...but what? And the Caribbean Work is 100% not a coincidence...multiple motivations for sure...but I’m gonna hold on 20 on my stance.

This thing is protruding into the lake and backing right into Martinique/OPR. (Unfortunately...I do know Caribbean like the back of my hand - it’s why I never go there 😎 ). Quite a coincidence indeed.

And if you recall - I assume, wasn’t here - the main discussion point on DVC at Caribbean (besides the stupid canal talk) was whether they CARE about the price point for amenity angle anymore? After all, isn’t it all about “location” now? That’s what is leaking and dusters are supporting. Who needs good food when you have a 190 sf “villa” and a hot box to mgm on a string for “rian Johnson: the experience”. (Oh...you get the point, I just can’t resist with such obvious tongue in cheek jokes)

Feature pool? Don’t see that being shared. But it could be a bland one like bay lake or wilderness 2.0.

Quickserve? Yeah I can see that shared. Absolutely.

1. Caribbean is losing 1/6 it’s capacity and has had the food area rehabbed twice in 16 years.
2. It’s too close for them to resist.
3. They can’t really be bothered to run quickserves except out of dire need at DVCs. Look at what okw has for 600 units? Or Saratoga for 1000?
4. The whole point of the ski lift is to flood people into the 2 parks where they already got about 15,000 employees toiling a day. Why add more than minimum food?

I mean...explain where any of this is unreasonable based on pattern and bucks?

pdude81

The surveys indicated that they were focusing on a large outdoor courtyard with a lot of spaces for families to relax. I don't know what that translates to exactly but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive pool complex built out there along with some recreation space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom