Disney Rewards Chase Visa worth it?

foldmama

I do the exact same thing as drp4video. I transfer my points a few days before I leave and use the whole balance towards our hotel stay. Last November, I had $212.00 off of my stay at POR.

WDWFigment

So something weird is happening for me with Disneyshopping.com and the Disney VISA. As I indicated yesterday in the thread, I got a $25 off $25 purchase for using my Disney VISA.

So I go to the site again today, and low and behold, another coupon for $25 off a $25 purchase is in my cart waiting to be applied to 'this or a future order'. Does anyone else have one of these in their carts, or am I just lucky?

gettingsmaller

We're going to WDW in Sept, and I got the Visa just for this occasion (and through a shareholder promotion, got a free Mickey Mouse watch).
Here is my plan:
1) use other rewards cards for everyday purchases to build rewards. Some give 5% on gas purchases, etc.. Then, redeem those rewards for extra cash for the trip.
2) use the card ONLY for charging my WDW trip. THEN, take the money that will pay for the trip and put it in a 6 to 9 month CD (quick way to get some rates: www.bankrate.com). So, if my trip ends up being $4000, I'll get something like ($4000 * 5% * 0.5) = $100 in interest before it's all said and done. Not a huge sum, but if you are trying to squeeze every little drop you can... That's $100 in interest for about 30 minutes worth of 'work' (getting the card, setting up a CD, etc.). If my job would pay me $200/hr, I wouldn't be having to squeeze so hard. :)
3) Now, I have the card to get into a Meet'n'Greet or other thing (was there in 2005, and they were letting 'special' people go into Soarin' for a preview. If I would have had the card, I would have tried flashing it to see if they would let my family in.)

A previous poster was right when they mentioned that the reward is pretty bad. Not only is it only 1%, but it is also limited to Disney-related purchases. I can get 1% from Citibank, and it's cash that I can spend ANYWHERE. Personally, I think they should give some incentive--like increasing the reward OR making it possible to get things at a discount when using the reward.

ONE MORE "BEWARE": if I read things correctly, if you have a balance for your vacation that is 0%, THEN you charge additional things--which will NOT be 0%--THEN, you make a payment, that payment is going to go toward the lowest-interest balance. In other words, you will pay off some of your 0% vacation balance while leaving the new purchases to build up interest at XX%. This is a very tricky thing that credit card companies do with balance transfers, etc.. it is also one reason that the only charge on the card will be my DIS trip.

Yellow Shoes

It's been almost a year now since I cut mine into lil' pieces and mailed it back to Chase.

It's a shame it's Chase, and I despise Chase and its Indian Call Centers, and its policies, and its evilness.

Cutting up the Chase Visa is on my "to do" list for tonight.

They've pushed me once too many times.

Besides, it looks like it will be at least 3 years before we go again, and I'd rather get the cold hard cash from my Discover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom