Disney Resort Hawaii

Spyne

Wow, really didn't see this coming. It's definitely news I didn't expect.

I think it's a good idea and a good marketing plan to build a Disney-themed hotel in Hawaii. As of right now, they are saying it is not going to be a theme park oriented resort. But if this resort hotel on it's own is successful enough, who knows what the future can hold.

TP2000

1. Sounds like you've never been to the Hyatt on Kauai or the Ritz on Maui.

The Hyatt, no. The Kapalua Ritz, yes. But it was a few years ago now. It was a big fancy Ritz-Carlton with great restaurants and an overpriced spa. My Kapalua visit was just when I was getting into spa treatments, and I chortled to myself at the menu of "culturally sensitive" day spa treatments at 250 bucks a pop.

I just find the PC stuff that the high-end travel industries try to wrap themselves in to be the funniest, and least authentic, of the PC marketing spin. And the luxury hotels of the free world, like a Ritz or a Four Seasons, offer up some of the funniest and most self-absorbed and self-congratulatory examples of that sort of stuff. It's hilarious! :ROFLOL:

The artwork from the Disney Hawaii project looked kitschier than I would have imagined however. Did you notice the volcano shaped water slide? The Rat Pack longhouse restaurant with liberal applications of tiki torches? And all in front of a massive steel and cement hotel tower? The architecture in the Disney sketch looks 1960's enough that I half expect Elvis to pull up to the porte cochere in a Cadillac with Anne Margret or Shelley Fabares on his arm. It looks from the artwork that Disney is going more along the route of "Brady Bunch Goes To Hawaii!" rather than "Honor The Noble Culture With Native Lobby Art And 200 Dollar Seaweed Body Wraps".

I would actually respect Disney more if they just went the full-fledged kitsch route and played up the propane tiki torches and Minnie doing the hula at a corny dinner show, rather than Disney trying to be uber-cool and pretending to be "culturally sensitive" to "indigenous peoples and customs". Pass the poi Chip and Dale!

Computer Magic

I see this as being connection to the Adventure By Disney tour guide. As for DVC, I bet it will be a crap load of points. I remember looking at using DVC points for ABD, :eek: there was no value there.

gsimpson

I agree, ABD

I wonder if we are going to see this "stand alone hotels" set up wherever adventures by Disney is a success. I wouldn't mind seeing a DVC Costa Rica.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom