Disney Research Introduces New Touch Technology

toolsnspools

I guess we know where some of the billion dollars on research has been going. I guess RFID is only one of the elements to their new technologies that will be emerging...

WDITrent

Wow. That's really cool. Would help a lot on typing with an iPad.

But this doesn't really have to do at all with the parks.

rct247

This is amazing news! Folks, this is the future of ALL touch screen devices. Disney will have the rights to this technology for a while though until another company can reproduce it and it becomes common place.

This could be a key to a very large door not only for in park experiences but also all of our electronic devices around us. This sort of technology can therefore simulate braille on a touchscreen device, or so one would think. As our society turns more to touch screen devices and controls, those who can not see are the ones loosing out. This opens an entire new window for them.

It is hard to see how this will come in to play with new attractions and experiences at the parks, but who knew that cell phones would turn into an attractions/experience with Kim Possible. The technology application is very cool stuff that provides a unique experience for guests just as the state of the art audio animatronics were when they debuted under the Disney name.

It is easy to guess at how it may be used based on similar experiences offered at the parks such as the games in Space Mountain or interactive kiosks at the Magic of Disney Animation, but it is hard to see much past that unless you have a very creative and open mind.

In 10 years, this technology is bound to be a standard part of your cell phone or your television remote or your entire computer. What if you could order clothes from home and feel the material online?

I'll end my giddy tech nerd stuff there, but mark my words, this will lead to something amazing and even if you are a fan of old school Disney dark rides, just knowing that this technology could be used in your everyday devices is just cool enough!

rct247

OK' this interactivity stuff is going WAY overboard. THE PARK IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

One could also say the same when we saw a surplus of audio-animatronics replacing actual performers in certain shows or when motion simulators replaced roller coasters.

The result was not ALL live shows or roller coasters replaced by those, but the result was amazing when we saw shows like The Country Bears and America Sings (both of which could have easily been live entertainment shows) or rode rides like Dinosaur or Star Tours.

trr1

this could come in handy for the visually impared with cell phones, text messaging and computer touch screens.:sohappy:

Cmdr_Crimson

and 99% of the parks still aren't video games :shrug:

Um.........Too Late...:lookaroun
racingtour.jpg

All 4 parks & both water parks are race tracks......Yeah........Still a good game.

PhilharMagician

Since when did being able to touch something become a video game? :shrug:
and since when did everything that Disney creates have to be part of the parks?

This technology could be worth billions to tWDC. Many new electronics today have a touch screen HID and this sounds like the next big step in that technology. I am honestly surprised Disney is the first to produce this technology

Kamikaze

OK' this interactivity stuff is going WAY overboard. THE PARK IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

And touch technology doesn't always have to do with games. In fact, it is more commonly used outside of games then in them. But lets not let facts get in the way of our crazy rants here on wdwmagic.

Not to sound dumb or anything, but I don't get what all the hype is about this. :shrug: Can someone please explain? I mean, personally, if anything, I think this would be perfect for folks with disabilities (perhaps impaired vision), but I'm not seeing the WOW factor.

Thanks for helping me understand!

:)

beyondyou

Not to sound dumb or anything, but I don't get what all the hype is about this. :shrug: Can someone please explain? I mean, personally, if anything, I think this would be perfect for folks with disabilities (perhaps impaired vision), but I'm not seeing the WOW factor.

Touch screens today have you doing only that, touching; without feeling. Disney has made a touch screen device that you can actually feel. This is amazing to be able to feel weight just through touching an electronic screen.

Imagine you're shopping online through your next gen phone with this technology. You come across a new shirt you think looks awesome. So you touch the shirt on a website and you can feel every single detail of the shirt.

This technology is mind blowing in every kind of way. What's next? being able to pick up a piece of food from you're touch screen and taste it? Or smell things from your cell phone?

I hope this clears up how amazing this is haha

rct247

Easiest way to test it out for yourself...kinda. Try typing a couple sentences on your keyboard with your eyes close. If you notice on your keyboard, there are raised bumps on the "F" and "J" usually to help you get your hands situated before typing. With your eyes clothes, you can feel the grooves, you can feel those raised bumps. The keyboard is also a 3D object so you can feel where the keyboard ends and your desk starts.

Now, print off or draw a basic keyboard on a piece of paper. Place it on a flat surface. Now try to type with your eyes closed. You won't see your result, but you can't tell me that it isn't harder. You have no idea what keys you are pressing. There is no raised bumps or grooves. You don't know when you are on the keys or just whitespace or even your desk.

That simulates a touchscreen device for someone who can't see. This technology would aid you on a touchscreen. You would in a sense feel the grooves or possibly feel the weight when you press a key. The technology offers a virtual feeling of material, friction, and substance.

Now expand this to everyday things and future applications and it opens the door for other possibilities like the clothes shopping example or playing video games, etc. After all, you can google a picture of sandpaper on your computer, but imagine if you can touch your computer screen and feel it right there!

Maerj

Yeah this is amazing news for the sight impaired, now they'll be able to easily use electronic devices. Good work Disney! Maybe they'll have this at Epcot for people to try soon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom