News Disney releases updated timeline for Parks and Resorts openings through 2026

Vegas Disney Fan

The problem is that most people have limited vacation days and budgets. People will start choosing to allocate time they'd usually be at disney to universal. MK and maybe HS might still hang on, but Epcot and AK are absolutely going to take a hit early on
I agree, Epic will definitely poach days from the other parks, not just the WDW parks but the other Uni parks also.

Over the last few years Uni has already poached 2 of our WDW days, I don’t think that’ll change once Epic opens, we already get parkhoppers for Hogwarts Express so we’ll just take advantage of that and do USF/IOA one day and use our second Uni day at Epic.

For us USF will be the first park day to get cut, combined with our IOA day. If we find Epic makes Uni a 3 day park HS will be our second park day cut, or more accurately combined with AK.

MK, EP, AK, and IOA are at no risk of losing a day from us, USF and HS are at risk, the water parks aren’t even on our radar anymore, there’s just no time for them anymore.

Indy_UK

That’s their goal…and that would be when Disney is in trouble

If it becomes a trend line

We are contemplating it ourselves.

Have AKV DVC and we are going to Orlando August 2025 for 2 weeks but now are thinking of doing half at Universal as we haven't been there since 2017. Between the 3 parks and Volcano Bay, a week looks like a good amount of time.

It's nightlife that may still be a factor for people. Don't the universal parks close early and Citywalk isn't exactly Disney Springs. I guess I-Drive is near?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are contemplating it ourselves.

Have AKV DVC and we are going to Orlando August 2025 for 2 weeks but now are thinking of doing half at Universal as we haven't been there since 2017. Between the 3 parks and Volcano Bay, a week looks like a good amount of time.

It's nightlife that may still be a factor for people. Don't the universal parks close early and Citywalk isn't exactly Disney Springs. I guess I-Drive is near?
Universal is planning…if not actively building already…a second city walk type compound on the southern campus…

They’re aware of your concern

CJ2

I truly don't understand why we are getting all of the blue-sky ideas, to me even them ideas are not exciting. Would it hurt to poll people on what they would like to see in the parks? The parks make the money and yet they don't invest back into the parks. It seems that my visits to the parks feel the same, rides down, long wait times, and food is not even as good as it was once. This is not covid anymore so you can't use that, my favorite line from a cast member is if you can see space on the ground move forward. Maybe if you excited about a new hotel with bad theming then great.

Gusey

Updated Timeline as of Feb 2024
1707571694682.png

WoundedDreamer

Universal is planning…if not actively building already…a second city walk type compound on the southern campus…

They’re aware of your concern
Comcast is taking their board of directors to Epic Universe's construction site imminently. I'm thinking that this trip is going to serve two functions.

1) Justification for Epic Universe. Comcast is investing heavily right now. Bringing the board and showing them with specificity what they are spending on will ensure their support. Epic Universe is probably in the $3-$4 Billion investment range. This is an absurdly expensive and expansive project. Comcast is investing enormous sums into their fiber business and their streaming business. Why invest in theme parks too? The executive team are going to go all out on proving that the spending is worthwhile. They know they need the board with them.
2) Pitching future investments. This one is more speculative on my part, but I think this makes sense. This would be the appropriate time to woo the board on the next round of investments. These investments could be international investments. But the fact they're going to be at Epic Universe suggests to me that they are also keen on getting the board to approve new investments to Epic Universe and Universal Orlando. The pitch will be, "as you can tell the money you've let us spend is going to create wonderful things, but we don't want to lose our momentum."

That's my read on the situation at least.

WoundedDreamer

Updated Timeline as of Feb 2024
View attachment 767681
Assuming they announce new projects this summer, they should break ground by the end of the year or early 2025. It could be 2028/2029 before we see new projects come to fruition. But there is an old trick Disney could use. The retheme and overlay. There are two projects that could go through an accelerated time frame. The first being the Dinoland retheme. The second being the Frontierland retheme. Both those projects will make use of existing buildings and infrastructure. I could easily see something like the following:

Mid-2024) Announcement of New Orleans Area, "New Generic Desert Area which may or may not be called 'Frontierland' depending on focus group testing" and Latin America at DAK
Late-2024) Construction commences on the new projects
Mid to Late-2025) New Orleans Area opens
Mid-2026) Phase 1 Latin American area opens with rethemed Dinosaur to Indiana Jones
Late 2027) Phase 2 Latin America opens (Coco Ride)
Late 2028) Phase 1 of generic desert area opens at Magic Kingdom
Late 2029) Phase 2 of generic desert area opens at Magic Kingdom

This will give Disney a series of marketing tools starting from 2025 and going to 2029.

Animaniac93-98

They should probably start building family-friendly rides, then.

Not even Disney builds the kind of rides 3 generations can enjoy together anymore like World of Motion or Jungle Cruise.

The only recent examples in the USA I can think of are Navi River Journey and Runaway Railway.

Maybe Webslingers if Grandma doesn't have arthritis.

Secret Life of Pets is proof Universal can build that sort of ride, and do it well, but they unfortunately don't more often.

Andrew25

They should probably start building family-friendly rides, then.
Until Universal creates non-screen family-friendly (high capacity & no height requirement attractions), not just a simple meet and greet location or a simulator, Universal won't attract that crowd. This is a shame since they have very good IPs in their library that (arguably) has a more nostalgic connection to those starting to become parents and raising children.

Comcast is taking their board of directors to Epic Universe's construction site imminently. I'm thinking that this trip is going to serve two functions.

1) Justification for Epic Universe. Comcast is investing heavily right now. Bringing the board and showing them with specificity what they are spending on will ensure their support. Epic Universe is probably in the $3-$4 Billion investment range. This is an absurdly expensive and expansive project. Comcast is investing enormous sums into their fiber business and their streaming business. Why invest in theme parks too? The executive team are going to go all out on proving that the spending is worthwhile. They know they need the board with them.
2) Pitching future investments. This one is more speculative on my part, but I think this makes sense. This would be the appropriate time to woo the board on the next round of investments. These investments could be international investments. But the fact they're going to be at Epic Universe suggests to me that they are also keen on getting the board to approve new investments to Epic Universe and Universal Orlando. The pitch will be, "as you can tell the money you've let us spend is going to create wonderful things, but we don't want to lose our momentum."

That's my read on the situation at least.
Part of your comment is true, but I think the board has already confirmed that the parks business has more room to grow and is willing to continue investment, and they want to make sure Universal Creative knows what they're doing (which they are). Comcast has already signaled to investors that they want the experiences division to continue growing even beyond standard theme parks. We're in the Universal decade.

We're looking at Epic in 2025, HHN Vegas possibly late 2025, Frisco in 2026, massive expansions to UOR's current parks in 2027-28 and UK park in 2030.

Also, once Universal feels confident in the kids' park, those things can get built fast throughout the nation/world. With how fast Universal can get things done, its entirely plausible you can have 1 or 2 additional parks open by 2030.

There will be many guest who visit Epic for a day and return to Disney for the rest of their vacation.
Yes, but if you are Disney, you are not fond of losing even a single day to Universal.

All of us should be hoping that Epic takes away enough days from WDW to convince the board to push multiple projects in the parks.

Laketravis

There will be many guest who visit Epic for a day and return to Disney for the rest of their vacation.

Perhaps. I've never considered USF to be more than a two day experience, if that. I've been able to get in early, park hop, experience the best both have to offer, and be out by late afternoon. Much like I did with any Six Flags park, except at USF maybe go back the next day and do it all over again.

But that's me - my son loved WDW, spent an aggregate of 120+ days there by the time he was 11, and then Harry Potter and Spiderman took over. Last August (he's 18 now) we spent six days at USF and he never once wanted to go to WDW.

Had Epic been a third option, he probably would have wanted to stay for more than a week (much like we used to spend two weeks at WDW).

Universal has made it clear they want people to come and stay for a week. If that is a top objective, then the efforts that should follow may be enough to convince many families to reverse the mindset and make USF their primary stay with a secondary day or two at MK/EP or even AK. HS? Naw...........

Jrb1979

Until Universal creates non-screen family-friendly (high capacity & no height requirement attractions), not just a simple meet and greet location or a simulator, Universal won't attract that crowd. This is a shame since they have very good IPs in their library that (arguably) has a more nostalgic connection to those starting to become parents and raising children.

Part of your comment is true, but I think the board has already confirmed that the parks business has more room to grow and is willing to continue investment, and they want to make sure Universal Creative knows what they're doing (which they are). Comcast has already signaled to investors that they want the experiences division to continue growing even beyond standard theme parks. We're in the Universal decade.

We're looking at Epic in 2025, HHN Vegas possibly late 2025, Frisco in 2026, massive expansions to UOR's current parks in 2027-28 and UK park in 2030.

Also, once Universal feels confident in the kids' park, those things can get built fast throughout the nation/world. With how fast Universal can get things done, its entirely plausible you can have 1 or 2 additional parks open by 2030.

Yes, but if you are Disney, you are not fond of losing even a single day to Universal.

All of us should be hoping that Epic takes away enough days from WDW to convince the board to push multiple projects in the parks.
IMO I think Universal is waiting for the Frisco kids park to open and see how well that draws. If it does well I can see them doing more of those type of rides in the Orlando parks.

doctornick

Not even Disney builds the kind of rides 3 generations can enjoy together anymore like World of Motion or Jungle Cruise.

The only recent examples in the USA I can think of are Navi River Journey and Runaway Railway.

Maybe Webslingers if Grandma doesn't have arthritis.

Secret Life of Pets is proof Universal can build that sort of ride, and do it well, but they unfortunately don't more often.
I’d put Ratatouille in that category as well. But not really disagreeing with you point.

It’s part of the reason I’d like to see them bring Shanghai POTC or Mystic Manor to WDW.

Animaniac93-98

I’d put Ratatouille in that category as well.

The original version is now 10 years old and I keep forgetting WDW even has Ratatouille. 😳

I've only been to EPCOT once since it opened and skipped it because I had already seen it at WDSP.

I guess we can add Zootopia to the list. It's mostly trackless dark rides that are the true family friendly ones these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom