Disney rash

DaMaus56

Looking forward to my October trip but need some advice/help. I always have an issue with Disney Rash. Last year I broke out within hours of being there. I’m looking for prevention suggestions or things I can do to control it after it starts. I’ve changed my walking schedule to hotter parts of the day and i’m up to 4 miles without issues. Help!

Minnie Mum

Good luck with that. It's also called golfers or hikers rash, or exercise induced vasculitis. According to the literature there is no known prevention. Treatment is symptomatic: elevation of the legs , cool baths or wet cloths, NSAIDS, and possibly cortisone ointments. It's usually self limiting, going away in a few days or a week.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As @Minnie Mum stated, there is not much you can do save for symptom relief. There are several versions of hydrocortisone that have cooling effects that tend to relieve the symptoms a little better.

Also, depending on where your rash occurs there has been some success in prevention by using compression garments. The compression garments do not need to have copper, titanium, healing crystals or any other marketing BS that gets attached to them. They just need to be of good quality and fit properly. If you have been to the doctor before regarding this you might be able to get insurance to flip the bill.

Lastly, you have probably already done this, but you want to make sure what you have is actually exercise induced vasculitis and not simple chafing. If it is chafing, there are a number of ways to prevent that.

Upvote 0

westie

My daughter and myself got it on a sept. trip. Her bum and my arm pits. My wife made me use diaper rash creme which seemed to work pretty well and I smelled all flowery lol.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Bodyglide works well, dont confuse it with Astroglide
DB1E1495-AD1E-44D7-97B5-A0809164A841.jpeg

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

If it's inner thigh friction rash, try wearing different clothing. I say this because this is one reason you will never see me in shorts. I normally wear pants or cargo past-the-knee length shorts. I wore shorts at another theme park trip years ago. Learned my lesson. You would have thought I got sun burnt on my inner thighs only.:in pain: And that stuff hurts!

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Unrelated, but reminded me of...

Our April 2017 Trip, I broke a tooth the very first day...hurt like, well, a broken tooth. Had my dentist back home call in a script to the Walgreens around the corner...as I'm waiting in line to get my stuff, I hear a woman's voice behind me say to guy behind counter..

"I need help...We went swimming in a lake last night, and now I have this rash all over me" at that point i HAD to glance...... It was bad.

Upvote 0

MissMaryEli

I got it last time I went for the first time. Right above my sock line. So I concluded the compression of my socks must have helped. I can’t imagine wearing compression leggings in the heat though. Fortunately I had cortisone packed so I put that on each night and elevated my legs with a cool cloth. It helped to take a break between days but that isn’t always possible. I’m going again in a couple of weeks and I’m definitely packing the cortisone as well as lanacaine spray.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If the rash is friction related, i.e. chafing, I recommend Bodyglide. Rub it anywhere you might experience a problem - inner thighs, under bra, arms, even bottom of your feet. I use it for every long run, works wonders. Buy from Amazon, but don't think you have to get the women's version, it's the same. I sometimes get what looks like a rash on the back of my legs. Realized I'd forgotten to apply sunscreen.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

I had it really bad on my legs a few weeks ago. It started on my sock line and went up my thighs. We did a lot of walking each day and, happy to say, it was hot and humid (not rainy and yucky).

I purchased Solarcaine Cool Aloe at the Fantasia Market in The Contemporary. I put it in the fridge and applied it each night - before and after my shower. I had instant relief. It felt great and it did calm it down.

My mom freaked out when she saw how bad my legs were and, of course, ripped into me - "You better learn what this is before you move down here!!!". I told her I already knew what it was since I had it years ago when I lived in Berlin, Germany during their hottest summer since Lincoln was a lawyer.
I don't think I would have it when I'm a local since I won't want to/have to go crazy and walk so much with "the gift of time".
But...if I do always have it...I'll still be smiling! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WDWMPrincess

Could it be heat rash? I sometimes get that if I am dehydrated. What works for me is to start drinking plenty of water, apply powder before going out in the heat, and using a little cortisone cream on affected areas at night after I have bathed and am inside in the AC for the night. I usually use Gold Bond but I have used Odor Eaters foot powder and plain old fashioned corn starch in a pinch. I think any unscented powder would work. I've read somewhere you can take antihistamine for it but it seems like that would just increase your water needs so I've never tried it.

Upvote 0

huwar18

This must have been a bad year for Disney Rash. I have been to Disney so many times throughout the years and never heard of it. When we were there in July, I got it on both ankles. That was the first time I ever got it. I have seen so many people and outlets talk about it recently.

Upvote 0

crxbrett

This must have been a bad year for Disney Rash. I have been to Disney so many times throughout the years and never heard of it. When we were there in July, I got it on both ankles. That was the first time I ever got it. I have seen so many people and outlets talk about it recently.

Same with me. Never had it before and I've been to WDW and DL a bunch of times and then this past July I went to DL for the day and got it really bad. I hope I don't get it at DW in a few weeks! It didn't really hurt at all, the skin was slightly sensitive is all, but it looked ghastly!

Upvote 0

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I had the “Disney rash”, aka exercise-induced vasculitis on both legs, from the ankles to the knees.
28D99DF3-8C24-4B67-9C18-DD595E8A1E7F.jpeg

This wasn’t even near the worst of it. By the end of the trip, my legs resembled cuts of meat displayed in a butcher case. They were swollen, my skin felt like it was stretching and burning, and my legs hurt to the touch. I’m hoping going to WDW during cooler weather will help, along with more frequent breaks for my legs. I’ve read what you’re doing (getting your legs acclimated to the conditions and amount of walking) helps. Please let us know how you fare on your upcoming trip!

Upvote 0
I have lived in Fl my whole life and have been doing outside exercise as well and I just started getting this rash on my legs like the picture but only when I am at EPCOT. I thought it might be from the pest control as it doesn’t appear until the late evening. Never have swelling or burning so I thought it was just a topical contact.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom