Disney/Raglan Road Sued Over Food Allergy Death

TrainsOfDisney

Also…. I honestly don’t know - would a company making fun of a situation on-stage in a show at a theme park ever come up in a court of law? As evidence the company doesn’t take this seriously?

I don’t know if that ever happens or not.
I’m referring to the Deadpool joke at DCA.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
That’s the difference between manslaughter and murder correct?

I'm not a lawyer but I think you are correct. One is because of willful neglect and the other is premeditated.
I am not a lawyer, but I was a LEO in Florida. The difference between murder and manslaughter is not premeditation. It is intent. If you are committing a robbery and someone surprises you and you shoot them dead, you had no premeditation to kill them, but you did just murder them. In Florida, manslaughter is an accidental killing. Broadly defined, a manslaughter offense can be considered voluntary if the crime was intentional and resulted amid provocation. If you start a fight, punch, someone in the face, and they fall down hitting their head and die. You have committed manslaughter. You decided to get in a fight, but your intent was not to kill the person. If you drive drunk and kill someone, you will be charged with manslaughter (vehicular homicide in some states). You decided to drive drunk, but did not intend to kill someone. Involuntary manslaughter is a form of unintentional killing that results from careless, negligent, or reckless behavior. Unlike murder, manslaughter offenses do not have to involve premeditation or a disregard for human life. But just like murders, depending on the circumstances surrounding the situation, manslaughters can be classified as voluntary or involuntary. If someone was charged it would be with involuntary manslaughter.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Wouldn’t it be voluntary if they knew of the allergy and knowingly prepared / served the food?

Like it would be involuntary if they got confused and didn’t know, but if they knew, it would be voluntary?
Voluntary would be a tough charge to stick. Involuntary covers negligent and even reckless behavior under Florida Law. It is tough to explain. An example would be if the server didn't tell the chef because he thought "screw that guy and his special diet" or if the server just plain forgot. One shows intent, and the other shows an accident or mistake.

TrainsOfDisney

An example would be if the server didn't tell the chef because he thought "screw that guy and his special diet" or if the server just plain forgot. One shows intent, and the other shows an accident or mistake.
Yeah I think we are on the same page. Forgetting or just simply getting confused is “accidental”

The chef intentionally making a dish with allergens would be voluntary.

Lilofan

There is a difference between ignoring a allergy request and intentionally ignoring one because you want to cause harm to the person.

I know that it does happen that sometimes people use "allergic" to mean they don't like something. To a kitchen, that is a issue. If somebody has an allergy, they have to use a separate, cleaned, area to prepare the food to prevent any cross contamination. If they are just leaving it out, they don't have to do any special prep - they can just leave the ingredient out.

My wife is allergic to mushrooms. If she eats mushrooms in any significant quantity she gets cramps and bloating and well, time in the bathroom is in order. However she is not SO allergic that a trace of mushroom will set her off. She explains this to the wait staff. She will ask if a dish has mushrooms, and if it does, can they be left out. She explains it is an allergy, but not a serious one. No need to prepare the dish in a special mushroom free zone - just don't add any.
You better hope that the cook making your wife’s dish in the busy kitchen are new / cleaned pots pans and utensils to prevent cross contamination if using the same cooking supplies.

Phonedave

You better hope that the cook making your wife’s dish in the busy kitchen are new / cleaned pots pans and utensils to prevent cross contamination if using the same cooking supplies.
That is the thing, for my wife it does not matter. She can have a "little" bit of mushroom. It is when there are significant quantities of mushrooms in the dish, or if, for example, the chef is using mushroom powder to add umami (we encountered this in a restaurant last week - the short ribs did not have pieces of mushrooms in them but the chef apparently added a good quantity of mushroom powder to the braise).

So my wife makes it clear - she cannot handle large quantities of mushrooms. If there are pieces in the dish, or the chef is using mushroom powder, it is a no go. But there is no need to go through the trouble of clean pans, utensils, pots, etc. She is fine with ingesting small / trace amounts. Her allergic reaction is also not life threatening, just unpleasant.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Original Poster
That is the thing, for my wife it does not matter. She can have a "little" bit of mushroom. It is when there are significant quantities of mushrooms in the dish, or if, for example, the chef is using mushroom powder to add umami (we encountered this in a restaurant last week - the short ribs did not have pieces of mushrooms in them but the chef apparently added a good quantity of mushroom powder to the braise).

So my wife makes it clear - she cannot handle large quantities of mushrooms. If there are pieces in the dish, or the chef is using mushroom powder, it is a no go. But there is no need to go through the trouble of clean pans, utensils, pots, etc. She is fine with ingesting small / trace amounts. Her allergic reaction is also not life threatening, just unpleasant.
I have a similar situation. I have some "sensitivities" to certain common foods. They irritate my IBS symptoms and make life unpleasant for me for a couple days. But I'm not going to die because I eat them. Two of these are onion and garlic which, well, are present in just about every restaurant dish ever prepared, so it can be hard to avoid them.

On our recent Disney trip, I was able to navigate the menus pretty well, but it actually got irritating that I would mention a special request, like could you please season this steak with just salt and pepper, and they insisted on treating it like a full-blown allergy issue. I guess I should be happy they are taking it seriously, but at times I just wished they'd believe me that I know what I can eat and how I need it prepared and leave it at that. I don't need a special consultation with a chef every time I sit down.

DisneyHead123

I have a similar situation. I have some "sensitivities" to certain common foods. They irritate my IBS symptoms and make life unpleasant for me for a couple days. But I'm not going to die because I eat them. Two of these are onion and garlic which, well, are present in just about every restaurant dish ever prepared, so it can be hard to avoid them.

On our recent Disney trip, I was able to navigate the menus pretty well, but it actually got irritating that I would mention a special request, like could you please season this steak with just salt and pepper, and they insisted on treating it like a full-blown allergy issue. I guess I should be happy they are taking it seriously, but at times I just wished they'd believe me that I know what I can eat and how I need it prepared and leave it at that. I don't need a special consultation with a chef every time I sit down.
Can you just say you don’t like those things so you’re ordering it without X? Or do requests like that get outright ignored?

Chef idea Mickey`=

I don't need a special consultation with a chef every time I sit down.
Not all of us may need it but I don't mind it because allergic needs needs to be taken seriously it's not fun for the individual themselves, there's no benefit whatsoever. I don't even think the family here asked for special consultation with a chef/allergy chef, manager if already he is trying to sue Disney before Raglan. You would of known who's fault of responsibility would then would been on the chef, you even want the chef to bring it to you themselves for safety. Most people who happen to have always good service everytime would not feel the need and just go and trust that the server or cashier will remember or take it seriously or importantly. She survived up to parenthood and now all of sudden now she passed. I hope it wasn't while being on vacation you just want to be for once like everyone else and you say it's just one time or live a little or un resist and boom.

Phonedave

Can you just say you don’t like those things so you’re ordering it without X? Or do requests like that get outright ignored?

My experience with that (or at least my wife's experience) is that if you say it that way, then sometimes it does not get taken seriously. If she says "I do not like mushrooms" sometimes she gets mushrooms because they are part of the preparation but are so broken down that they kitchen thinks she will not notice. Or, as we encountered recently, the chef actually is using mushroom powder to provide umami to the dish, but it does not have a mushroom taste or texture.

Being honest is the best course of action for her. "I can't eat mushrooms. A little bit, or trace amounts are OK, so no need to go crazy, but if I eat to many it really upsets my stomach. It's not that I don't like, them. In fact I do like them a lot, I just cannot eat them."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom