Disney Propaganda?

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The Old, Old, Old Disney Days!

Back in the mid 1980's, Disney did a film that was rather widely circulated in the corporate world (and government too) about the Disney organizational structure. The basic idea was that CM's that directly serve the public come first (i.e. ride operators, costumed characters, ticket sellers, etc.). These employees were at the top of the chart. Next came those employees that "serve" the direct public contact CM's (i.e. personnel, administrators, etc.). The entire idea of the film was that the Walt Disney Company was only as good as the CM's in the trenches. I really think that the Disney Company once felt that way and gave great support to CM's. Of course, this management style is long gone but does anyone else remember that film? Does Disney still use it for new employees?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I remember it.. I came at the end of that era (mid/late 90's).. and no, they don't use that film anymore

cm1988

Still pixie dustin'...

Originally posted by Talsonic
...in the mid 1980's...film... basic idea was that CM's that directly serve the public come first...Next came those employees that "serve" the direct public contact CM's (i.e. personnel, administrators, etc.)....Walt Disney Company was only as good as the CM's in the trenches.... this management style is long gone but does anyone else remember that film?
When I started in (surprise) '88, the film taught that cast members - both front line and behind the scenes - are responsible for the magic. A supervisor was shown helping to buss a table. People were shown in many onstage and backstage roles, all in support of the show.

I don't believe the film teaches this, but on the job you definately learn that if you work backstage, cast members (front line or others you support) are your guests. It's just the same as onstage, and that is regardless of "rank". Honest!

fngoofy

.... this management style is long gone

I am currently a full time cast member as well, and I can honestly say that all of my managers are there for me 100%

They have no problem with helping out, explaining any question asked, and coaching and mentoring me on my carreer development.

All in all the Disney corporate sturcture that I have seen and experienced is the best it could be.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
it also depends on where in WDW (or Disney in general) you work at. I'm lucky right now to be under the best management team I've ever worked for, but just before this one, I was in an area run by brownnosing idiots

Monorail Lime

They showed that film during one of our College Program seminar sessions. It was pretty neat. Our instructor says that some companies pay thousands and thousands of dollars to receive management training in the style we were learning for free! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom