Disney Professionals

MrMike

Original Poster
Hi, I'm new here and I'm sorry if this question has been posted before. And if it's out of line, I apologize.

Back in January, I had my 2nd face-to-face interview with WDPRO, but was turned down. I was very thrilled by the idea, but looking back, I think my nervousness got in the way. But in the mean time, I haven't given up hope in finding a job with WDPRO or WDIG. The job was through a consulting firm instead of directly through Disney HR if it matters.

I understand that professional jobs with Disney is very competitive. But I'd like to ask the Disney professionals of the group, those of you who have not joined Disney via the CP or an internship, can you share with me your experiences of getting hired by Disney? Is there some advice you can share, that would help better my chances at the next interview?

Thank you in advance!

ImaYoyo

I know you're asking for people that joined that had not participated in a front-line role or a CP, but to be honest, you'll be hard pressed to find such. In my department, I don't have a single person that either started on a CP or in a front line role. Not that my dept. is huge (22 people), but it's a fairly typical example.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I've only met 2 people in my time with the company that were hired directly into professional roles. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but like the man above me said, it's rare.

If you have your MBA from a selected SoCal school, you do have a chance of getting hired directly into TWDC Burbank offices where you can become a soulless peon, but really, who wants to do that?

MrMike

Original Poster
In the back of my mind, I've been wondering if I shouldn't try out for a front line role (either part or full time), then try to move into an IT role at some point in the future. But I've been a little afraid to ask Disney's HR this question directly.

From my wife talking to different nurses at her workplace, she's gotten the feeling that Disney tends to promote from within. My wife has also met a nurse through work, who's husbands started at Disney as a lifeguard, but after a few years moved into a DBA (Data Base Administrator, for the non-IT people) role.

MrMike

Original Poster
If you have your MBA from a selected SoCal school, you do have a chance of getting hired directly into TWDC Burbank offices where you can become a soulless peon, but really, who wants to do that?

I've also considered going back to school to get my MBA... but I'm in Florida. Sorry, did I mention that I wanted to work in Florida? :hammer:

I've worked for several companies... I find IT is either loved or hated, depending on the kind of people working in IT. I assume Disney is no different?

ImaYoyo

I've also considered going back to school to get my MBA... but I'm in Florida. Sorry, did I mention that I wanted to work in Florida? :hammer:

I've worked for several companies... I find IT is either loved or hated, depending on the kind of people working in IT. I assume Disney is no different?
You'd be correct. I absolutely LOVE 4700 (what IT is known as to many here) but others usually don't share my opinion of them.

An MBA from what I call the "Disney-fied" schools can help (Stetson, Rollins), but it's still tough. My father was with the company in a DVC Sales roll for a bit. The way he got there was started front-line part time while he worked his "real" job, then after a year of that, applied for the role he wanted.

mkt

Premium Member
My brother-in-law got his MBA from UCLA and was offered a job immediately after getting the degree. He ultimately declined the position and took one that paid twice as much with Citigroup, but apparently the recruiters were targeting his colleagues from UCLA like a hawk targets food.

wedway71

My best friend came to TWDC(Disney Consumer Products) with a MBA and at the time 10 years of Mid level management experience. He went to Glendale,Ca. He said he got 75k with a 10k moving bonus to start but said MBA in stratigic planning got 85k to start.

Even with his backround and education it was very lengthy to get on but worth it to him. He is hoping to cross over to a mid/upper level mgt role with Parks and Resorts(Global) maybe in Hong Kong or Disneyland Paris S.C.A.

KeithVH

Wow, things definitely seems to have changed. I remember getting a cold call from Casting ~10 years ago. Not even sure how they got my resume as I never applied to Disney. I ended up turning down their offer (IT Sysadmin - stuff that's a dime a dozen nowadays) as it was a little low.

Now I see an MBA with 10 years experience gets around 75k? I wonder if that is representative? My impression is that's low also. Maybe differences by division?

Makes me wonder what an IT Project Manager with 20+ years of IT experience could get to start . . .

mkt

Premium Member
My BIL got offered $85k... Citi offered him $110k + full relocation to NYC and monthly trips to Buenos Aires.

Which would you take?

wedway71

Wow, things definitely seems to have changed. I remember getting a cold call from Casting ~10 years ago. Not even sure how they got my resume as I never applied to Disney. I ended up turning down their offer (IT Sysadmin - stuff that's a dime a dozen nowadays) as it was a little low.

Now I see an MBA with 10 years experience gets around 75k? I wonder if that is representative? My impression is that's low also. Maybe differences by division?

Makes me wonder what an IT Project Manager with 20+ years of IT experience could get to start . . .

Actually he got that when he started about 7 years ago. He is now making more and working on a raise since hes trying to go to Hong Kong.

Sherrybaby

I have been dreaming of working for Disney ever since I can remember, but after reading about management salaries I sort of lost interest. I'd like to eat.

That being said, I have 18 years of management experience and I am just ready to graduate from college with my Business Management degree.

Is it really a pipe dream to try to get into management with Disney without starting out making $7 an hour first?

In addition, would a person looking for management apply the same way as hourly cast members do? What is the exact procedure?

I live in Ohio and the only way to work for Disney is in a Disney store, which really isn't Disney anymore anyway. Not that I really want to work retail in a mall--now working retail at WDW as a manager is a different story.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sherry

wedway71

I have been dreaming of working for Disney ever since I can remember, but after reading about management salaries I sort of lost interest. I'd like to eat.

That being said, I have 18 years of management experience and I am just ready to graduate from college with my Business Management degree.

Is it really a pipe dream to try to get into management with Disney without starting out making $7 an hour first?

In addition, would a person looking for management apply the same way as hourly cast members do? What is the exact procedure?

I live in Ohio and the only way to work for Disney is in a Disney store, which really isn't Disney anymore anyway. Not that I really want to work retail in a mall--now working retail at WDW as a manager is a different story.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sherry
Hiya Sherry..
Indy here so kinda close.I have 17 years Management experience most in Retail Mgt except 4 years as a Sales Manager with Coca-Cola.Currently I am a Guest Experience Executive for Target(just moved from Hardlines) and would also like to get with Disney in Mgt in Merchandise/Brand Management.
I also have an MBA to boot.
My freind who works for Consumer Products had the right idea.He went to a unit of TWDC that is not as saturated with applicants such as Consumer Products or Buena Vista or Disney Internet. He went straight into a Management role. He shares my dream of working for WDPR in Management.He has been at Conumer Products for 7 years and since already part of TWDC he will do an internal transfer into a mid/upper level Mgt role with WDPR specifically WDPR Global in Merchandise/Product Developement maybe Hong Kong Disneyland or DL Paris SCA.

Sherrybaby

Hiya Sherry..
Indy here so kinda close.I have 17 years Management experience most in Retail Mgt except 4 years as a Sales Manager with Coca-Cola.Currently I am a Guest Experience Executive for Target(just moved from Hardlines) and would also like to get with Disney in Mgt in Merchandise/Brand Management.
I also have an MBA to boot.
My freind who works for Consumer Products had the right idea.He went to a unit of TWDC that is not as saturated with applicants such as Consumer Products or Buena Vista or Disney Internet. He went straight into a Management role. He shares my dream of working for WDPR in Management.He has been at Conumer Products for 7 years and since already part of TWDC he will do an internal transfer into a mid/upper level Mgt role with WDPR specifically WDPR Global in Merchandise/Product Developement maybe Hong Kong Disneyland or DL Paris SCA.

Hi ...thank you for responding...I have a few questions. My first one is why don't you follow in your friend's footsteps?? :)

I'm not sure what "TWDC" or "WDPR" are--can you clarify? Where exactly did your friend apply? I'm a little confused but it seems as if he reached his goals in any case.

Thank you for any further information you can provide!

Sherry

wedway71

Hi ...thank you for responding...I have a few questions. My first one is why don't you follow in your friend's footsteps?? :)

I'm not sure what "TWDC" or "WDPR" are--can you clarify? Where exactly did your friend apply? I'm a little confused but it seems as if he reached his goals in any case.

Thank you for any further information you can provide!

Sherry

Yes sorry...
TWDC=The Walt Disney Company
WDPR=Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Actually he started for Disney Store in Glendale,Ca.This was when Disney still owned Disney Store.Disney Store was under the umbrella of Consumer Products.Knowing the sale was going to happen Disney shifted people in Corporate to other areas in Consumer Products from the Disney Store brand.
Most operations positions either fazed out or stayed but now working for Childrens Place/Disney Store like Store Managers,District Managers,Regional Managers,etc.
As far as me I cant seem to get my wife convinced that living in either Orlando or Southern Cali is a great idea even though I want to. She has always loved going to Paris so maybe I can join my buddy at Disneyland Paris S.C.A?????:D

DisneyJMU86

Hey! I'm a junior at James Madison University and a Hospitality and Tourism Management major. I am not exactly where I would like to start my career once I graduate but I have been noticing a lot of emphasis placed on getting an advanced degree. That is something I would definately be interested in if it seems quite beneficial to my career. Any advice on schools/programs/masters in general?

mkt

Premium Member
Hey! I'm a junior at James Madison University and a Hospitality and Tourism Management major. I am not exactly where I would like to start my career once I graduate but I have been noticing a lot of emphasis placed on getting an advanced degree. That is something I would definately be interested in if it seems quite beneficial to my career. Any advice on schools/programs/masters in general?
get your advanced degree if you want to start out as something more than a button pusher :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom