Disney plus removes classics

Disney plus removed Dumbo from kids accounts. Do you agree or disagree with this decision?

• Agree

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

sullyinMT

Why? Did they find elephants offensive, or Peter Pan offensive?
I dont' understand their thinking anymore, no common sense or logic.
I’m guessing Dumbo’s crows and the “savages” in Peter Pan. Both are still on “adult” accounts, for now and for what it’s worth.

I’m glad we own physical media of most of these, except Swiss Family Robinson, which I never much cared for, anyway.

rylouisbo

Original Poster
its bizarre, whats the point of having a "kids account" on disney plus if they block classic kids disney movies... had to change my kids account to an adult one so they can access the movies. if disney actually thought the movies were that offensive why would they continue to have dumbo/peter pan rides or even have the movies available at all. their logic makes no sense.

dfisher9

I never set up mine as kids account anyway. Moana was blocked because it was PG. If they want to do parental control, they need to do it right. HBO Max gives you all the ratings and allows you to pick which ratings your kids' account will be able to see.

rylouisbo

Original Poster
my kids 1 and 3 (mostly the 3 year old) love the classics, dumbo, bambi, peter pan, Pinocchio ect. i dont think its a "big deal" its just weird that disney is acting like their classic movies are harmful to kids haha and annoying as it creates user interface issues for no good reason. it also seems to be a slow progression to more significant measures as this started with a little "warning" then turned into a longer "warning" and now they are making the films more difficult to watch, so whats the next step they'll do? edit the movies because a small minority of people believe something?

TeddyinMO

my kids 1 and 3 (mostly the 3 year old) love the classics, dumbo, bambi, peter pan, Pinocchio ect. i dont think its a "big deal" its just weird that disney is acting like their classic movies are harmful to kids haha and annoying as it creates user interface issues for no good reason. it also seems to be a slow progression to more significant measures as this started with a little "warning" then turned into a longer "warning" and now they are making the films more difficult to watch, so whats the next step they'll do? edit the movies because a small minority of people believe something?
The benefit to this is simple. By doing this, Disney is giving parents the ability to easily control whether their children watch culturally insensitive images from older movies. As a parent, I can make the decision whether to allow it or not or use it as a teaching moment (which is what I do). I think this is a great compromise.

Of course parents should always monitor their children’s TV/streaming, but this just makes it easier. Parents can know if their kid is watching the “kids’” account, these kind of images won’t be there. If the parent wants to expose their children to these classics despite the very insensitive references, the parent can do so using the adult login.

rylouisbo

Original Poster
the thing is that saying they are "culturally insensitive" is a subjective opinion. I believe there are many inappropriate scenes in other movies that you would consider perfectly fine that are available to watch on kids accounts. also, if you believe these films are culturally insensitive why in the world would they be allowed on the service at all? "hey these films show bad things but if you watch this 15 second clip then its ok to watch the bad scenes" that makes no sense. disney doesnt need to be the morality police determining what is good or bad. the parents can make that decision without the random policies from disney plus. you can make your teaching moments without this happening, by your logic they should really be taken off the platform all together and you can just buy the dvd and teach them using that if you want.

also, "very insensitive"... wow. what a world we live in where people are saying films like peter pan and dumbo are "very insensative"... lol

TeddyinMO

the thing is that saying they are "culturally insensitive" is a subjective opinion. I believe there are many inappropriate scenes in other movies that you would consider perfectly fine that are available to watch on kids accounts. also, if you believe these films are culturally insensitive why in the world would they be allowed on the service at all? "hey these films show bad things but if you watch this 15 second clip then its ok to watch the bad scenes" that makes no sense. disney doesnt need to be the morality police determining what is good or bad. the parents can make that decision without the random policies from disney plus. you can make your teaching moments without this happening, by your logic they should really be taken off the platform all together and you can just buy the dvd and teach them using that if you want.

also, "very insensitive"... wow. what a world we live in where people are saying films like peter pan and dumbo are "very insensative"... lol
Look, Peter Pan is an all-time classic. I love it. But the scene with the chiefs is just cringe-worthy. The crows in Dumbo are another example. I don’t believe anyone had any racist intentions when they made these movies. Just like I don’t think Bing Crosby dancing in black-face in Holiday Inn was meant as racist, but it’s really inappropriate in today’s world. We’ve evolved and we learn.

Having these classic movies available is important. Putting them on a parent’s account vs a kid’s account seems like a great compromise to keep them out there but give parents some additional control.

Brer Oswald

Anything short of an introduction that: ‘explains the context of the offensive material, why it isn’t okay, and why it was originally included without concern’ will just open the company to constant mockery from both sides of the argument.

The people who are offended will commend this decision, but will still make a mockery of old Disney for being racist, with little to no understanding of the fact that the norms of 1940 weren’t the norms of 2020. The people who hate censorship will cry and exaggerate that the company plans to censor everything.

The poor kids will either grow up in a sanitized environment, never being challenged by opposite view points, or a anger filled environment that hates all change.

Again, I’m all for acknowledging the problems of these films, but this has to be a learning experience. There has to be accurate context. They did it with the limited release Walt Disney Treasures tins, they can do it again.

rylouisbo

Original Poster
The people who are offended will commend this decision, but will still make a mockery of old Disney for being racist, with little to no understanding of the fact that the norms of 1940 weren’t the norms of 2020. The people who hate censorship will cry and exaggerate that the company plans to censor everything.

its a lose lose for them, for the people that are offended it will never "ok" and the people who didnt care are annoyed at the changes.

which is why disney should just leave them be as they are. each person can do what they want with the material. if they want to use it as a learning lesson for their family they can and if they dont then the original is left unchanged and noncontroversial.

their current plan just creates controversy when its easily avoidable. which makes me think that they want the controversy and they believe its their place to be educators and moral police... sigh

Brer Oswald

its a lose lose for them, for the people that are offended it will never "ok" and the people who didnt care are annoyed at the changes.

which is why disney should just leave them be as they are. each person can do what they want with the material. if they want to use it as a learning lesson for their family they can and if they dont then the original is left unchanged and noncontroversial.

their current plan just creates controversy when its easily avoidable. which makes me think that they want the controversy and they believe its their place to be educators and moral police... sigh
I’m not so sure they should “leave them be”. But I don’t see why they would subvert a learning opportunity for a cheap sentence that provides no context whatsoever.

Minnesota disney fan

I just wish Iger would get his run for president over with and quit messing with things that don't need messing with. You are right, he is trying to be the moral police and that never goes over well. They are trying to dumb down history. History is history. There were slaves in the South, that's history. We can learn from it and go on. Banning or censoring the things certain people think are offensive is offensive in itself as is their self righteous attitudes.
I've watched Gone with the Wind many times, and I never once wanted to get a slave and dress in petticoats. Sigh....!
My family as been on POC many times, and not once have my kids wanted to own slaves or become a pirate!
It's getting ridiculous!

erasure fan1

The Indians in Pan were caricatures, but you could say something similar about veddy-British Wendy and her family, plus the Indians were, in fact, allies of the good guys. And the crows in Dumbo rock. This is all so stupid. Is Elmer Fudd a racist Caucasian caricature? Where does this nonsense end?
I've said it before, it doesn't. This kind of stuff never ends, it just modulates to something new. If it does end, it means we are all sitting on our porch watching the lawn grow. Unless you eliminate everything, you will always offend someone.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Even in the 90s when these films became widely available on VHS, people knew they contained dated jokes and depictions, and that it was Disney's responsibility to make sure their newer movies were not like that.

But with the exception of SotS, the attitude then was never to hide these older films forever or from children under a certain age. Implying that young children can't be taught about these things or that it's not Disney's responsibility to teach them is lazy...and hypocritical when Disney still tires to sell them toys based on these movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom