Disney Plans New Sports Arena

Gatorboy

you can see a couple pics on the wws.com venues section. small, but gives you an idea. plus, they have a sponsor footing some of the bill.

spaceghost

Hmmm....this sounds familiar. Seems like I remember reading a while back about Jostens and Disney partnering on something to do with WWS. Regardless, the key thing to look at here when comparing to improvements at other parts of WDW (Epcot, etc.) is that there's a major sponsor (Jostens) picking up a chunk of the bill. That additional financial support makes a huge difference in deciding what gets built where...

CaptainMichael

JostenCenter1.jpg

JostenCenter2.jpg

brkgnews

Exactly. The discontent about this from a lot of people is simply fan-boy-atical desires being unceremoniously shot down by pure economical business sense. Honestly, I think it's a great investment for Disney. And honestly, it's a much better investment than anything they could've dreamed up for Epcot's 25th.
I never claimed that it wasn't an unwise business decision. I just don't particularly care for it on a personal level.

Fanboy? Probably. But so what? We all have our pet projects. That's why I'm a Disney fan and not Disney management.

Legacy

I never claimed that it wasn't an unwise business decision. I just don't particularly care for it on a personal level.

Fanboy? Probably. But so what? We all have our pet projects. That's why I'm a Disney fan and not Disney management.

I wasn't taking a gibe at anyone, so if you were offended I do apologize. However, it is an extremely accurate example of it. For a lot of posters on Magic (and Web-wide), their personal desires are more important than smart business making. I'm not a "pure" Disney fan, so it does kinda bother me that people immediately complain rather than look at it logically.

Shaman

Hmmm....this sounds familiar. Seems like I remember reading a while back about Jostens and Disney partnering on something to do with WWS. Regardless, the key thing to look at here when comparing to improvements at other parts of WDW (Epcot, etc.) is that there's a major sponsor (Jostens) picking up a chunk of the bill. That additional financial support makes a huge difference in deciding what gets built where...

That's a great point. Who knows if this would've ever come to pass without a major sponsor...Disney isn't exactly the biggest risk taker out there; especially after 9/11. They want someone else to help shoulder the burden of a potential loss. I'm sure the plan was, find a sponsor first...then build.

Regardless, Disney is fattening WDW up....but for who....

Shaman

Comcast... :lookaroun

:drevil:
Lots of non-themepark expansion. DVC's going up left and right....makes a person wonder if Disney will own WDW for much longer. Operating WDW is much more comfy than owning AND operating.

(blame Brad for this brand of paranoia) :lookaroun :lol:

ImaYoyo

If you're a CM it would sound familiar because there was an article on "the hub" a few weeks ago talking about this.

Chalk me up as one that thinks this will be a great revanue booster. And when revanues are up, we all win...

ToTBellHop

If you're a CM it would sound familiar because there was an article on "the hub" a few weeks ago talking about this.

Chalk me up as one that thinks this will be a great revanue booster. And when revanues are up, we all win...
generally, but revenues are certainly up this year at WDW, and we have...one ride under construction.

ImaYoyo

generally, but revenues are certainly up this year at WDW, and we have...one ride under construction.
Yes, but we just had openings of:
1 ride (nemo at epcot)
1 show (nemo at AK)
1 attraction (Monsters Inc at MK)
and ON TOP of that, 1 ride under construction (Toy story at D/MGM).
Not to mention on going construction of a new restaraunt at AK, 2 new shops and a coffee bar at PI, and an ENTIRE 2 new resort areas (bonnet creek and western way).

Yeah, I see, WDW is definately not re-investing that increase in revenue...

:animwink:

ToTBellHop

Yes, but we just had openings of:
1 ride (nemo at epcot)
1 show (nemo at AK)
1 attraction (Monsters Inc at MK)
and ON TOP of that, 1 ride under construction (Toy story at D/MGM).
Not to mention on going construction of a new restaraunt at AK, 2 new shops and a coffee bar at PI, and an ENTIRE 2 new resort areas (bonnet creek and western way).

Yeah, I see, WDW is definately not re-investing that increase in revenue...

:animwink:
are any of those attractions major by any stretch of the imagination? The fact that the new restaurant is being built by Landry's not Disney, and both new resort areas are not being built by Disney, kinda renders them not applicable to the current discussion.

ImaYoyo

are any of those attractions major by any stretch of the imagination? The fact that the new restaurant is being built by Landry's not Disney, and both new resort areas are not being built by Disney, kinda renders them not applicable to the current discussion.
So should we also throw out all of the attractions that have sponsors? After all, those sponsors practically paid for the attraction... McDonalds ALONE has paid MILLIONS of dollars to sponsor attractions. And I'm not talking 10 or 15 million...

Even though some of what is being built is not operated by WDW, it is still built, maintaned and upkept by WDW. They're simply not running said hotel/attraction/restaurant.

ToTBellHop

So should we also throw out all of the attractions that have sponsors? After all, those sponsors practically paid for the attraction... McDonalds ALONE has paid MILLIONS of dollars to sponsor attractions. And I'm not talking 10 or 15 million...

Even though some of what is being built is not operated by WDW, it is still built, maintaned and upkept by WDW. They're simply not running said hotel/attraction/restaurant.
Well, I'm not going to get into another argument over Disney's spending habits, but suffice it to say, there have been more exciting years to study the goings-on at WDW...and it's been a long time since attendance at WDW was at current levels.

ImaYoyo

Ok, I'm not crazy... Found the article from January announcing this.

January 25, 2007 Jostens and Disney's Wide World of Sports
It is announced that Jostens will be the title sponsor for a new sports facility, scheduled to open in Summer 2008. Jostens will be an Official Sponsor of Events at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.

Was then followed by pictures and such... but that's the heading of it anyway. I'm excited for this new complex. I LOVE watching games at DWWS. There are some great invite-only tourney's for college basketball, softball and baseball throughout the year that are a ton of fun to watch. When I was a front-line CM I used to pick up EHH shifts so I could watch the games AND get paid to do it. Usher shifts were the best!

mm121

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but couldn't find the newer one for the new WWoS arena that was built and was wondering if there are any pics showing the interior somewhere.

TrojanUSC

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but couldn't find the newer one for the new WWoS arena that was built and was wondering if there are any pics showing the interior somewhere.

A quick Google found this (slide 2):

mm121

Thanks, tried searching here on the forum. And couldn't remember the official name of the new one.

Looks nice on the inside.

peter11435

That photo is not actually the new arena. That is the existing HP field house that has been there since the complex opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom