Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

Lilofan

For automating front line roles at the Disney parks the cost of labor isn't the only consideration. There are genuine concerns from even before the pandemic about the ability to source labor at all, especially at Disneyland. They didn't commit to building affordable housing at WDW just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Now you can argue they could just pay more - which, in fairness they should - but also working at Disney is a lot harder and asks a lot more of you than many other competing places.
Affordable housing by Little Lake Bryan to include tennis courts, full sized gym, full sized swimming pools etc.

celluloid

Not sure, I always combine my gift cards anyways. I feel like I've seen "up to 5" somewhere, but that may have been at ShopDisney.

It just seems silly we are still not at a point where more than one can be used in such a transaction. I used to hate working at the DRC with those for just that reason. It always felt weird telling guests that were going to use just two large ones that they would have to go and combine them at the Disney gift card website.

Piebald

Every single one of my applications for Data Analyst roles within the company was recently closed noting the "position will be closed without a candidate." Interesting to note Universal continues as normal.
Yep, I applied months ago when I got laid off as well as some coworkers and we all got the same emails. The project based jobs were closed with no one filling it but other rejection emails came because they found out candidates.

MarvelCharacterNerd

As someone who may or may not be checking the Disney job board daily ;) I find three basic categories of jobs posted:

Software Engineers/Data Analysts
Parks jobs (esp. F&B and custodial)
Internships

There have been an explosion of intern positions added over the past month. Other paid (non-park or non-computer) jobs, not so much.

Also seeing jobs closed without notification.

Tha Realest

As someone who may or may not be checking the Disney job board daily ;) I find three basic categories of jobs posted:

Internships

There have been an explosion of intern positions added over the past month. Other paid (non-park or non-computer) jobs, not so much.

Paging @Sirwalterraleigh - does this suggest a company gearing up for all these massive expansions and new builds everyone’s convinced are imminent, or rather a company moving into hunker down mode

Lilofan

Internships

Interns who I had worked with in my state are a cheap form of salaried mgt labor staffing. Get college educated folks put them in mgt roles pay them lower and they work a set contract ( months or years ). At the end of the contract they leave the company or if there are permanent roles if no budget constraints some are selected for these roles. If the intern is told in advance there is no extension of their internship etc they apply for entry level positions ( at even lower pay ) in the company or if they don’t want to, they quit after the internship is ended. All in all they gain experience in the field during the internship to add to resume whether it be in projects or in operations. I would think interns as opposed to permanent mtg staff, interns would work the less desirable early morning or late night time frame because they are the new kids on the block.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Paging @Sirwalterraleigh - does this suggest a company gearing up for all these massive expansions and new builds everyone’s convinced are imminent, or rather a company moving into hunker down mode
It doesn’t tell you much of anything. They don’t hire the architect and contractor or other vendors for new builds through the their website.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always thought they were gonna stop construction for all intents and purposes for at least 5 years after iger’s “legacy builds” finished. And here we are.

Nothing to do with viruses, recessions, etc…just the living manifestation of their completely flawed management philosophy: that no one will resist them because the labels on the front…doesn’t matter if Orlando/Anaheim are overrun with people because they didn’t keep up (facts)…
…it’s like heroine. Can’t resist.
And they’re at least partially right. No doubt. But still wrecking the place longterm.

They built - actually mostly replaced - for 5-7, then they were gonna “extract” for a minimum 5-7 years…it seemed clear to me at least.
We’re starting the second half of that cycle.

Iger’s diminished reputation may change that - it certainly would be a wise move now to change that narrative…
…but the guy is NEVER wrong…right? Just nobody buying anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Internships

…I’m gonna go ahead and take a completely wild guess and say they are ramping up college program and international program recruiting too?

…I’m like kreskin

_caleb

It doesn’t tell you much of anything. They don’t hire the architect and contractor or other vendors for new builds through the their website.
I may be misremembering, but wasn't Josh D'Amaro hired just by asking for a job application at the front gate of Animal Kingdom?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom