Disney/Pixar

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Three more Dis/Pix films

LOS ANGELES, April 21 (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. < DIS.N > on Sunday unveiled three new computer animated films in its venture with Pixar Animation Studios Inc. < PIXR.O >, who both combined for 2001 hit "Monsters Inc.," the second-highest grossing animated movie ever with $504 million in global ticket sales.
Pixar, which makes its home in the San Francisco Bay Area and is headed by Apple Computer Inc. < AAPL.O > chief Steven Jobs, makes the movies and Burbank, California-based Disney markets and distributes them.

The plans should soothe recent concern on Wall Street over the ongoing partnership, which started with 1995's "Toy Story" and has raked in $1.7 billion in global ticket sales through three subsequent films, "A Bug's Life," "Toy Story 2" and last November's "Monsters."

The most recent movie, a family film about a pair of ghastly-looking but fun-loving fellows who scare humans for a living, has amassed $253 million in domestic box office and $251 in international ticket sales after setting records in Japan, England, Mexico and Spain.

"(It) has been an extraordinary success all over the world, and we are extremely proud it has become the second most popular animated film of all time," said ________ Cook, the recently appointed chairman of Walt Disney Studios.

"Monsters" is second in box office to another Disney animated hit "The Lion King," which generated $767 million in worldwide ticket sales following its release in 1994.

First up on the slate of new Disney/Pixar films is "Finding Nemo," an underwater adventure set for release next summer. It is being written and directed by Andrew Stanton, who was co-director and co-screenwriter of the 1998's "Bug's Life" and co-screenwriter on the "Toy Story" films.

In the 2004 holiday season, audiences will see "The Incredibles," an action-adventure comedy from director Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant"). It centers on a family of superheroes who save the world while living a quiet suburban life.

Finally for the holidays in 2005, Pixar's two-time Academy Award-winning director John Lasseter will direct "Cars," a comedy featuring an assortment of cars as characters who get their kicks on the famous old Route 66.

Franchise movies like "Lion King" and what the Disney/Pixar films are becoming, earn untold millions of dollars in profits for media conglomerates like Disney. The Lion King spawned sales of toys, home videos and other merchandise. It brings people to Disney's theme parks, generates advertising revenues for Disney-owned TV networks, and it even spawned a Broadway play.

But "Lion King" and many Disney movies like it are in old-style, hand-painted animation, whereas the new computer animated films like those of the Disney/Pixar collaboration and 20th Century Fox's current hit, "Ice Age" are in the digital form that newer, younger audiences find highly appealing.

Disney made its own computer-animated movie, "Dinosaur" in 2000. It had a successful run at box offices, but was nowhere near the size of the Disney/Pixar films. So, Disney investors are anxious to see the collaboration continue.

Back in January, confusion arose among some investors over the length of the two companies' venture, prompting Jobs to issue a statement saying the two would combine for three more movies under their current working relationship, which is a straightforward 50/50 venture.

Sunday's announcement merely outlines the three new movies under the existing deal, and Disney executives declined to discuss any plans beyond the three. But until Sunday, details on the collaboration were sketchy.

NowInc

There are more films they are working on that arent listed..one of which is a more serious film that i seriously think will bring pixar a best picture nomination..and not just in animation...

2 other ones in production are actually kinda obvious to guess if you think hard enough...

Lhriangel

Toy Story III and.. um.. Monsters Inc II?

Which wouldn't be that bad in my opinion cause Pixar does come out with pretty good sequals (see Toy Story II).

NowInc

Originally posted by Angelique
Toy Story III and.. um.. Monsters Inc II?

Which wouldn't be that bad in my opinion cause Pixar does come out with pretty good sequals (see Toy Story II).

You're half right....which half...I cant say ;)

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Goofster
ohh no, i bet Toy Story III is more likely to roll around then Monsters II, but what do I know?

So do I, but maybe people think a III is just pushing it. Even though I agree with Angelique, Pixar is totally capable.

Lhriangel

Originally posted by MKCustodial

So do I, but maybe people think a III is just pushing it. Even though I agree with Angelique, Pixar is totally capable.

Woohoo someone is agreeing with me.. Does that mean I'm not saying something completely stupid?

I wish they would make MI 2 cause I loved Monsters, Inc. And I wouldn't mind TS 3 because ... well Pixar is good LOL.

NowInc

Well..I cant confirm or deny anything..but the answers are there..yes..

Keep in mind My time at pixar ended before the completion of Monsters Inc...soo..anything "new" (meaning that was started after the time i left) I have no clue about...

Goofster

not very subtle, but thanks for the info Now

:D :D

So Toy Story 3, I know it will happen if Disney and Pixar forge a permanent alliance, do you think it could or will happen?

NowInc

Originally posted by Goofster
not very subtle, but thanks for the info Now

:D :D

So Toy Story 3, I know it will happen if Disney and Pixar forge a permanent alliance, do you think it could or will happen?

Well..by the time their original contract runs out..it will be over 10 years since it was signed...it will probobly merge into a perminant alliance by that time.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by NowInc

Well..by the time their original contract runs out..it will be over 10 years since it was signed...it will probobly merge into a perminant alliance by that time.

By the way, NowInc, nice new avatar... Looks like you're betting on the poké... I mean, Stitch, huh? :D
:p :p

wdwmaniac

Pic.

Attachments

• d_p_fish.gif
    d_p_fish.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 55

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom