Disney, Pixar reportedly close to renewal

Woody13

Original Poster
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 25 (UPI) -- Insiders say an announcement is imminent that Disney and Pixar have renewed their distribution pact, it was reported Sunday.

Neither side would comment on the report, however, Daily Variety said.

Sources point to a new, closer relationship between the former rivals with Pixar's top executives gaining unprecedented access to the "Circle 7," a secret division formed under for Disney Chief Michael Eisner to make sequels to Pixar films.

Disney has already started production on "Toy Story 3" and the division will soon announce a second sequel from among several script in development. Variety predicted the choice will be between "Finding Nemo 2" or "Monsters, Inc. 2."

A renewal would ensure Disney's distribution rights to Pixar films and also keep the sequel production rights in the House of the Mouse, Variety said.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
While I would welcome a renewed deal, the thought of multiple Disney-created sequels to Pixar's movies make me... :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Woody13

Original Poster
Will Disney and Pixar Reteam?
Source: Variety
December 27, 2005

Variety reports that Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios are on the verge of renewing their distribution deal.

So what's holding things up? The trade says a key point is "Circle 7," the secretive division that Disney formed to make sequels to Pixar films, for which it has rights through next year's Cars, which is also the last film under the partners' current deal.

Production on Toy Story 3 is already under way and the division is close to picking a second film to greenlight from several scripts under development -- most likely Finding Nemo 2 or Monsters, Inc. 2.

Apparently the next step -- picking a director -- is on hold until Disney and Pixar close their deal.

Disney CEO Bob Iger reportedly is keeping Pixar head Steve Jobs and creative guru John Lasseter in the loop about developments at Circle 7 -- something former Disney topper Michael Eisner rarely did.

Under the new deal, Disney will probably distribute new Pixar films and produce, in one form or another, a slate of sequels.

Connor002

There's still something about this "Circle 7" that seems off...
I'm not sure how this will play out, but the idea of PIXAR agreeing with Disney's plan for sequals seems awfully odd.

Woody13

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
There's still something about this "Circle 7" that seems off...
I'm not sure how this will play out, but the idea of PIXAR agreeing with Disney's plan for sequals seems awfully odd.
Indeed, Jobs made a big issue of this aspect while Eisner was still CEO. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if Jobs is now whistling a different tune. :lol:

Shaman

I think keeping Pixar in the loop isn't so bad, especially since they "made" the originals. What would be the harm? Unless Disney has already agreed to some other questionable terms made by Pixar.

objr said:
Unless Disney has already agreed to some other questionable terms made by Pixar.

I doubt this to be the case. Disney has had the upper hand in this situation since the get-go. The success of Chicken Little, increasingly crowded CGI field, and new CEO at Disney have all added to this.

It will be very interesting to see how all of this plays out in the end with so many possibilities open.

TheDisneyMagic

How did the Disney/Pixar deal actually work, did Disney not actually have anything to do with making the movies and pixar done everything, then after production Disney distrubuted them? or is it something els? I really do not understand the whole situation, if that is the way it works why does Disney's name come first on everything?

jddjcfc said:
How did the Disney/Pixar deal actually work, did Disney not actually have anything to do with making the movies and pixar done everything, then after production Disney distrubuted them? or is it something els? I really do not understand the whole situation, if that is the way it works why does Disney's name come first on everything?

The deal has evolved over the course of the relationship between the two companies.

As it stands now, Disney finances 50% of the cost of each film and Pixar finances 50%. Profits are split 50/50 after Disney collects 12.5% as a distribution fee. So, in effect, Profits actually break down to be Disney-62.5% and Pixar-37.5%.

Disney alone owns the copyrights to Toy Story. Disney and Pixar together own the copyrights to each move thereafter. Disney also has the right to make sequels to the movies with or without Pixar.

TheDisneyMagic

ThreeCircles said:
The deal has evolved over the course of the relationship between the two companies.

As it stands now, Disney finances 50% of the cost of each film and Pixar finances 50%. Profits are split 50/50 after Disney collects 12.5% as a distribution fee. So, in effect, Profits actually break down to be Disney-62.5% and Pixar-37.5%.

Disney alone owns the copyrights to Toy Story. Disney and Pixar together own the copyrights to each move thereafter. Disney also has the right to make sequels to the movies with or without Pixar.
Thanks very much for clearing that up, is that why at Disney - MGM Studios, all of the references to Toy Story just say "Disney's Toy Story" but all of the references to Toy Story 2 say" Disney / Pixar"?

So Disney finance 50% of the movie, do they have anything to do with the making of the film or is that entirely Pixar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom