Disney paying $500 million for youtube content creator - Maker Studios

rob0519

Like I said in the other thread...

I still have no idea why they would want to buy a company that just sponsored famous shows or events from youtube.com

500 million would have a done lot of more things in the parks.

It could buy a lot of Windex and paper towels to help keep the rides clean, no?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I guess I look at it like buying a record label. The record label doesn't actually make any of the music themselves... they seek out talent, nurture it, seed fund it, promote it. That's basically what these content networks do that focus on rising talents.

But the price paid... I can't fathom it at all.

Cesar R M

I guess I look at it like buying a record label. The record label doesn't actually make any of the music themselves... they seek out talent, nurture it, seed fund it, promote it. That's basically what these content networks do that focus on rising talents.

But the price paid... I can't fathom it at all.
but record labels have a portfolio and can own song permissions/images..etc...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
but record labels have a portfolio and can own song permissions/images..etc...

This content has owners too... The record company doesn't create any of that music themselves, it isn't the creative force behind the music. Without their contracted talent, they produce nothing. The business model is different in that record labels sell copies of performances while online video services sell their viewership...

Cesar R M

This content has owners too... The record company doesn't create any of that music themselves, it isn't the creative force behind the music. Without their contracted talent, they produce nothing. The business model is different in that record labels sell copies of performances while online video services sell their viewership...
yeah but currently they still have a lot of power.
They are sacred cows with huge lobbying(SOPA, ACTA..etc..) power that leech insane percentages of money from the artists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom