Disney Passes on Bluey Theme Park Rights?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
"A source familiar with Disney's original Bluey deal in 2019 says the company's consumer products division had the chance at the time to license the show's merchandising and theme park rights from BBC Studios, but it passed on them. That's something Disney now regrets."

@wdwmagic if this is duplicated or in the wrong part of the forum please move or delete.

Comped

Wouldn't surprise me if Disney tried again to buy the show, and it's merch/park rights, for an insane amount of money.... They've made offers before allegedly.

monothingie

Premium Member
Original Poster
Remind me, who was the CEO in 2019?
Not saying that Iger was not uninvolved, but Disney products was Chapek’s domain.
I can't believe Iger passed on a chance to buy yet another flash-in-the-pan non-Disney-created IP. He must be slipping...
Bluey is the most streamed thing on D+ and it’s not even close.

dothebrdwalk

Yeah it would be a laugh riot for the 8 more years it’s actually a sellable product.

Kid shows go in and out so fast. Bluey will be no exception and I love watching bluey with the kids.
Literally! Look at how many times the Disney Junior show and the meet and greets have changed in the past 10 years alone. Disney isn't sweating this. They're just enjoying the streaming numbers until something new comes along.

monothingie

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah it would be a laugh riot for the 8 more years it’s actually a sellable product.

Kid shows go in and out so fast. Bluey will be no exception and I love watching bluey with the kids.
Iger’s MO was to acquire franchises and IP and fold them into the Disney ecosystem. It seems incredibly short sighted to not even make an effort to cultivate this when they’ve expended more capital on lesser well received franchises and IP.

co10064

Premium Member
After the death of Walt Disney, the company has been hesitant to create permanent attractions (well, rides) based on TV shows. There have been some exceptions for shows/other experiences, but even those have been mostly short-lived.

PuertoRekinSam

This quality you descibe I once saw described as
"The kids show that teaches adults how to parent."
And I think that hits the nail on the head.

It is genuine that is for sure.
I thought it was a cute show, better than most but nothing super special.

Then I took my 4 and 6 year old to the traveling play.

Disney On Ice this is not.
Yes the show had the greatest hits from the tv program.. grannies, keepy uppy , walking leaf… but one of the main plot points is Bluey doesn’t want her sister to keep being right there being like her. Mom explains if she keeps pushing her away, one day she won’t come back. Mom knows this from experience. At the end of the play, mom ask dad to borrow his phone, dials and says “(big sigh) hey Brandy it’s chilli… it’s been a while”. FADE TO BLACK.

At that moment I fully understood this was not a show for kids, they just don’t realize that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom