News Disney partners with Epic Games to launch gaming and entertainment universe tied to Fortnite

MrPromey

Well one would assume if they exit their position Epic will no longer be creating Disney content.

So your saying this is just a short term news story to distract investors ?
One would probably be assuming wrong since they've already been doing partnership IP in Fortnite with Disney for years.

At this point, nearly every major character from Star Wars is in there along with just about every type of storm trooper. So is Indy. So are a whole
Slew of Marvel charters... as posted, so is even Jack Skellington - and that was just a licensing/cross-promotion deal that had nothing at all to do with this.

It's worth pointing out that in addition to this Disney owned content, Batman is in there too along with Terminator, a xenomorph, predator. Robocop, Chung-Li, Michale Meyers, Dragon Ball, TMNT, and plenty more - all in the same game interacting with each other.

And of course, contracts can be changed but this is all content people have paid money for. These could be reversed but it would be similar to buying Taylor Swift's latest album in ITunes and then them retracting it later - it's digital so it could happen but it would likely require a refund and I don't imagine Disney would be interested in giving all that money back to get out of their previous deal.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Its not just for the parks. When you invest in a company to that degree you get access to a lot of IPs. Remember that its not just mario but also donkey kong and anything else universal makes a deal with them on. What is real elephant in the room is when they suddenly decide to go with pokemon. Now that is when universal is gonna tap into a franchise with massive draw. You think pokemon go was wild. Imagine when universal decides to tap into that. Not just for in park but merchandising as well which is still a strong contender whether it be USA or Asia.

Disney so far out of this deal gets fortnight and maybe jazz jackrabbit and jill of the jungle if anyone at all remembers them which I highly doubt. If you are thinking gears of war you have to remember that epic only developed the game while microsoft actually owns the IP rights. Honestly its a bad investment as disney gets only a developer mostly known for 1 game over the last decade and a game distribution system that regularly has to give away free games just to keep people coming back.
Conveniently ignoring the other major part of Epic's business there, aren't you?

JD80

Did I say it was for the theme parks? No I did not. You made a huge assumption so I will explain so you can understand why this is a bad mistake.

Just leasing the unreal engine is suitable enough as there are plenty of great developers that can create fantastic games. The problem is unreal like valve has lost its developer roots in favor of being a monetization platform. They are not exactly well known for making amazing content. Most of it is based on user submitted content and flavor of the week promotions that lose their charm almost immediately. To make matters worse they will probably not expend the effort to create a new game from scratch. Sure it will use the unreal engine but they will likely use existing premade content. That is why fortnight skins with a few exceptions are very much alike. That is why the arenas are very much alike. At one time they may have made some amazing content but now their real talent is just making the engine.

As for disney investing in epic games, they are obviously also looking to tap into those monetizing and how will they do that while the games are being made, fortnight. They will also likely be wanting to some how pitch this content into merchandising as they are after all investing billions in this. This is why I bemoan this situation. Universal was smart to invest in nintendo as it has many franchises and a solid merchandise based that adds much to the content. What does epic games offer to disney? Fortnight. They tried EA but EA is so crazy about monetization that they even have governments investigating them. They were in talks with ubisoft but that is belly up. At this point this could have made a strong deal with microsoft as they have bought several developer teams but they chose epic.

This is why I am not too happy with this as its not a wise choice for a developer or business partner. Its nice on paper to have a literal engine developer in your corner but the real power comes in the developers who create the content using the engine. There are a lot of amazing developers that could do this so much better.......but alas they chose the company whos most popular title at the moment is fortnight.

When you said "So this is disney's way to compete with universal/nintendo?" I assumed you meant theme parks and a Fortnight land?

This investment is more institutional than just making a video game.

Mike S

Its not just for the parks. When you invest in a company to that degree you get access to a lot of IPs. Remember that its not just mario but also donkey kong and anything else universal makes a deal with them on. What is real elephant in the room is when they suddenly decide to go with pokemon. Now that is when universal is gonna tap into a franchise with massive draw. You think pokemon go was wild. Imagine when universal decides to tap into that. Not just for in park but merchandising as well which is still a strong contender whether it be USA or Asia.

Disney so far out of this deal gets fortnight and maybe jazz jackrabbit and jill of the jungle if anyone at all remembers them which I highly doubt. If you are thinking gears of war you have to remember that epic only developed the game while microsoft actually owns the IP rights. Honestly its a bad investment as disney gets only a developer mostly known for 1 game over the last decade and a game distribution system that regularly has to give away free games just to keep people coming back.
What Disney is going after seems to be exposure through Fortnite and my “just Mario” comment was exclusively for movies which is why I brought up Sony nabbing Zelda. Universal Parks however seem to be getting all the biggest Nintendo IP as there’s already rumors of Zelda and Pokémon coming.

jeanericuser001

Conveniently ignoring the other major part of Epic's business there, aren't you?
If you are referring to their game sales, its not working out as well as you think. Epic is getting a lot of flak from developers for practically giving away their games just to keep people on the platform. Add in that some of the games being added are very old games, games created with ai, game that are half finished, and games that are not exclusive and you got a lot of problems for one platform. As for them making games, they hardly do that as much as they use to. As for leasing the unreal engine, that only goes so far as technically you can get the platform for free. Its when you go for distribution that you have the leasing agreement but even that can vary based on the prestige of the developer utilizing the engine. There are a lot of games using the unreal engine but not all of them are making big enough bank to be a serious financial boost for epic. What is providing their biggest profit appears to be fortnight which they have milked till its shooting out powder instead of liquid.

When you said "So this is disney's way to compete with universal/nintendo?" I assumed you meant theme parks and a Fortnight land?

This investment is more institutional than just making a video game.
Oh god no! A fortnight land is the most horrible thing imaginable. No. Oh god no! Hell to naw naw naw! The problem is disney should have invested in something with a lot of long term ip production. A publisher with their own distribution network, multiple IPs that can keep profit sustainable, and multiple dev studios which are good at putting out games. That is why I was hoping they might consider ubisoft or microsoft. Im uncertain that epic will be able to do anything more than updates of existing titles. At one time I even thought they were fishing around with a deal to create a vr series of games with apple but alas Im uncertain if that is still on.

What Disney is going after seems to be exposure through Fortnite and my “just Mario” comment was exclusively for movies which is why I brought up Sony nabbing Zelda. Universal Parks however seem to be getting all the biggest Nintendo IP as there’s already rumors of Zelda and Pokémon coming.
Well with the simpson IP deal coming to an end soon there could be something else to take its place. With that much space they could put in anything. As for exposure through fortnight, I grimace at that. The skins seem to be a poor cash grab. That is why its such an ugly mess to me. Besides its only a matter of time before disney tries to start hawking fortnight merch. You just know that one day that could lead to a fort night attraction some day. Right now I can hear walt spinning like crazy in his grave. Maybe that is how they plan to save on power once again.

Mike S

Well with the simpson IP deal coming to an end soon there could be something else to take its place. With that much space they could put in anything. As for exposure through fortnight, I grimace at that. The skins seem to be a poor cash grab. That is why its such an ugly mess to me. Besides its only a matter of time before disney tries to start hawking fortnight merch. You just know that one day that could lead to a fort night attraction some day. Right now I can hear walt spinning like crazy in his grave. Maybe that is how they plan to save on power once again.
Simpsons is exactly what’s rumored to get replaced by Pokémon. Zelda’s going to take over The Lost Continent.

MrPromey

If you are referring to their game sales, its not working out as well as you think. Epic is getting a lot of flak from developers for practically giving away their games just to keep people on the platform. Add in that some of the games being added are very old games, games created with ai, game that are half finished, and games that are not exclusive and you got a lot of problems for one platform. As for them making games, they hardly do that as much as they use to. As for leasing the unreal engine, that only goes so far as technically you can get the platform for free. Its when you go for distribution that you have the leasing agreement but even that can vary based on the prestige of the developer utilizing the engine. There are a lot of games using the unreal engine but not all of them are making big enough bank to be a serious financial boost for epic. What is providing their biggest profit appears to be fortnight which they have milked till its shooting out powder instead of liquid.

If you've followed the history of their online store at all, you know the real reason they launched that which like their lawsuits with Apple and Google, is a lot more inside-baseball than the retail sales you're looking at.

As for "Developer Flack", that's news to me since the ones who have their games "given away" are agreeing to and getting paid for that arrangement.

Anyway, since they're not a publicly traded company, they get to do these sorts of long-term things intended to reshape industries rather than focus on quarterly profits.

But as to what I was talking about, I'm referring to Unreal, the thing you didn't mention in the previous post.

It's their oldest product and why Epic Games exists at all.

As for the business model, I'm aware of how it works which leads me to believe you don't understand how they're making money off it. that huge group of people not making real money with anything they make from using it aren't their actual customers.

That's just how they ensure it maintains its status as an industry standard.

It's the multi-person studios who blow right past that $1 million in sales (which isn't very high for anyone who isn't a hobbyist or indie developer) who are their real customer base.

Customers like Ubisoft, Gameloft, CD Projekt Red, even EA who has been moving to Unreal 5 in favor of their previously developed in-house engine - these are the kinds of companies paying royalties on each unit sold that make Unreal profitable.

The adoption of Unreal in the movie, tv, and animation industries has also begun to show huge upside and they've entered that market with a very similar approach giving access away for free while making money on enterprise solutions for big studios that need it... like Disney.

For that matter, guess what "gaming engine" was used in the production of the highest grossing movie of 2023?

You're right that Fortnite makes more today but Fortnite is also their showcase for Unreal Engine development and for years now, has been on a path to become a platform of its own (now complete with it's own version of Unreal 5 accessible from within it to develop with) rather than a game like it started out being and if Fortnite does not continue its evolution away from being just about the game it originally broke out as*, you can bet Unreal will still be around and still continuing to grow as a business.

If Disney just wanted a gaming studio, they'd have had the funds to outright buy Ubisoft rather than take a minority stake in Epic. Heck, Epic themselves has the capacity to outright buy a studio like Ubisoft and gobble up that IP with barely a blink if they were so motivated.

Maybe some day they will.

In this scenario, Disney's not in this for the IP. That's what they are bringing to the table (along with that $1.5 billion, of course).

My point is, this investment from Disney is about so much more than a gaming studio and as a tech company, which is really what Epic is today; a tech company that owns a few gaming studios - they have business interests that align with almost everything Disney does outside of timeshares.

If you don't want to see that and want to be stuck in the mindset that Epic is just about Fortnite and that Fortnite is still just a battle royale game, I'm obviously not going to change your mind, though.

*Though for something launched in 2017 that saw it's highest recorded unique user activity ever last fall, they seem to be managing to get by for the moment - not sure what milk you think has turned to powder, there.

Last edited:

Mike S

I’d love to see Epic Mickey come back and actually fulfill its amazing potential rather than the crapfest that the second game was.
Thank you Disney. Thank you :happy:

Mike S

Hoping Epic Mickey is a multiplatform release. Even in the trailers you could see some pretty major frame dips. Game is in development still I guess, but would be nice if it were on a more powerful console.
It doesn’t look like it should be pushing the hardware as there’s plenty of games that look about the same or better and run just fine on Switch. The only way a remaster of a Wii game would run poorly is incompetence or laziness lol

tanc

It doesn’t look like it should be pushing the hardware as there’s plenty of games that look about the same or better and run just fine on Switch. The only way a remaster of a Wii game would run poorly is incompetence or laziness lol
Apparently it's a remake, according to what the direct said.

Mike S

Apparently it's a remake, according to what the direct said.
Either way it doesn’t look any more demanding than something like Super Mario Odyssey or Kirby and the Forgotten Land would be. Plus if it ends up being exclusive that’s even less of a reason for it to run poorly as it should be even easier to make it run well as you’re only developing it for a single platform and therefore you’d know what limitations to make the game in.

Edit: the devs behind this also did the remake of SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom which I think did pretty well so we’ll see.

Mike S

Confirmed for all consoles including last gen through its website.
And to tie it to the thread it uses Unreal Engine. It looks really good in the higher quality screenshots but since I only have a Switch that’s where I’ll be playing. I played the new Doom games there and will happily play this as well.

Mike S

I missed Epic Mickey back in its original release, so I'm excited it's coming to all platforms!
I’m happy too considering only the second game ever got a wide release and that game was trash compared to the first lol

I remember getting to the end and being like “what? I’m already at the final boss?” Massive disappointment. The first Epic Mickey is no perfect masterpiece but it was a very enjoyable game to me nonetheless and now it’s no longer stuck on the Wii.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom