News Disney partners with Epic Games to launch gaming and entertainment universe tied to Fortnite

VicariousCorpse

Because when they are in Fortnite, you’ve got your IP wielding SMGs and Ak-47s lol. Has anyone else seen the new Jack Skellington skin in Fortnite? Seeing him with an SMG is really weird.

Everyone knows the real allure is watching Jack hit the griddy.

jack-skellington-fortnite.png

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Not going to lie, when I saw that art they were using to promote this and heard the frequent use of the word "Epic" I immediately jumped to the (incorrected) conclusion that this was concept art for a 5th gate that Disney was building to compete with Epic Universe... was a little disappointed to find out what it actually was...

Mike S

I stopped playing Fortnite when the latest season completely messed up how locker presets work and removed the shuffle feature. The skins and making presets was a huge deal to me when it was finally added years ago at the start of Chapter 2 and now I’m just done. I’m back to only playing non-live service single player games and I feel like I’m better off for it. I no longer have a need to log in every day and can just play games at my own pace.

You know what I want from Disney video game wise? Full HD remakes of The Haunted Mansion and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction from the GameCube. I LOVED those games. Also I’d love to see Epic Mickey come back and actually fulfill its amazing potential rather than the crapfest that the second game was.
Yeah the Star Wars skins doing emotes gave me Hyperspace Hoopla cringe flashbacks. Surprised Lucasfilm wasn't objecting haha
I heavily enjoyed having Darth Vader perform Master of Puppets when I was still playing lol

MerlinTheGoat

Not going to lie, when I saw that art they were using to promote this and heard the frequent use of the word "Epic" I immediately jumped to the (incorrected) conclusion that this was concept art for a 5th gate that Disney was building to compete with Epic Universe... was a little disappointed to find out what it actually was...
This. Had this been just another announcement without that type of art, I don't think people would have batted an eye. But a lot of people saw that art and assumed it's some new parks project. Unsurprising because it looked EXACTLY like a piece of parks art. Even I did a double take at the art and thought it was a parks project before I read into the details. And i'm fairly tech literate and know a lot about gaming and who Epic are.

Had they used more gamey looking art to promote this partnership, as well as the Fortnite logo, there wouldn't have been any misunderstanding. Even worse, this came only a week after Universal formally unveiled Epic Universe. This was some very unfortunate timing and the "Epic" name is also going to confuse everyone further.

This probably should have been marketed as a Disney Infinity revival or successor of some sort.

Dranth

So let’s say they grow revenue to 5 billion.

That’s 250m for Disney.

Only 20 years to recap the investment.

People will still be playing Fortnite in 20 years right?
That assumes they can never sell the stock or it is worth nothing when they exit their position.

Trauma

That assumes they can never sell the stock or it is worth nothing when they exit their position.
Well one would assume if they exit their position Epic will no longer be creating Disney content.

So your saying this is just a short term news story to distract investors ?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A big bet on Fortnight being evergreen is a risky bet.

But the real money is owning a part of Unreal Engine which will be the backbone of the "next Fortnite" and is instrumental in modern SFX in movies, especially, as mentioned above, "The Volume."

There's a need to bring the cost of SFX down for the type of movies Disney makes.

Mike S

A big bet on Fortnight being evergreen is a risky bet.

But the real money is owning a part of Unreal Engine which will be the backbone of the "next Fortnite" and is instrumental in modern SFX in movies, especially, as mentioned above, "The Volume."

There's a need to bring the cost of SFX down for the type of movies Disney makes.
Forget movies, owning a piece of Unreal Engine gives them money from GAMES using Unreal. The video game industry > the movie industry money wise.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Clearly I'm old, as I thought Fortnite was just a game where you went and killed people Hunger Games style, attempting to be the last person standing. I was thinking to myself what an odd partnership for Disney that was.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Clearly I'm old, as I thought Fortnite was just a game where you went and killed people Hunger Games style, attempting to be the last person standing. I was thinking to myself what an odd partnership for Disney that was.
Seems odd, doesn't it.

So does interest in a game of getting an obloid ball past a defender's goal. But that generates a huge number of people, money, interest, betting, fantasy leagues, and social interaction in person and on TV and social media.

And Disney's in partnership with that.

Dranth

Well one would assume if they exit their position Epic will no longer be creating Disney content.

So your saying this is just a short term news story to distract investors ?
Doesn't have to be so black and white. Keep the investment and partnership as long as it is serving your needs. At that point dump it. Barring a collapse of Epic that should put them a good bit ahead of where folks seem to think they will be as people keep discounting that Disney will be able to recoup at least some of the cost of the upfront purchase if not make an outright profit on it.

Trauma

Doesn't have to be so black and white. Keep the investment and partnership as long as it is serving your needs. At that point dump it. Barring a collapse of Epic that should put them a good bit ahead of where folks seem to think they will be as people keep discounting that Disney will be able to recoup at least some of the cost of the upfront purchase if not make an outright profit on it.
What I’m saying is I don’t see this being a impactful line item on any future income statements.

They may make some money may lose some.

I just see it as meh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom