News Disney partners with Epic Games to launch gaming and entertainment universe tied to Fortnite

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I love Fortnite and love Disney characters in it, so I'm excited to see what this becomes. Although I assume we won't be shooting people as Mickey Mouse or Moana.

Would love if they built some of these areas from that preview image in the parks. Imagine stepping into Halloween Town from Nightmare Before Christmas.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Why do they believe that this will succeed when they've tried this route many times before ? Yes they'll get to utilize some current talent, but they will force it into directions like they have with the prior products that have fallen flat. The current Dreamlight valley is their current Meh offering and its dull.

MerlinTheGoat

So i'm dead serious here, my mother called me up and said "hey, did you hear that Disney is building a fifth park at WDW". Took me by surprise, looked it up and saw this. Apparently she was reading some clickbait articles and also saw this piece of art and got punked into thinking it was a new theme park thing. I had to explain that it was just a video gamey thing, not real. She wasn't impressed to say the least and had some very strong words...

As someone who grew up playing video games and still occasionally engages with them as an adult, this doesn't look interesting. I also wonder if this is also going to be related to their prior announcement of investments into AI, which is also rapidly infiltrating and polluting the gaming industry now.

I'm curious if this is going to impact future park projects. Again, that concept art looks alarmingly close to the sort of art used in announcements of new lands/parks. It even made me do a double take at first before I looked more closely. Makes me wonder if they've given up on the park projects they've been kicking around at D23 for the past couple years and are going to double down on digital simulations instead.

Meanwhile, Universal's reaction to this news-

1707345015953.jpeg

tissandtully

So i'm dead serious here, my mother called me up and said "hey, did you hear that Disney is building a fifth park at WDW". Took me by surprise, looked it up and saw this. Apparently she was reading some clickbait articles and also saw this piece of art and got punked into thinking it was a new theme park thing. I had to explain that it was just a video gamey thing, not real. She wasn't impressed to say the least and had some very strong words...

As someone who grew up playing video games and still occasionally engages with them as an adult, this doesn't look interesting. I also wonder if this is also going to be related to their prior announcement of investments into AI, which is also rapidly infiltrating and polluting the gaming industry now.

I'm curious if this is going to impact future park projects. Again, that concept art looks alarmingly close to the sort of art used in announcements of new lands/parks. It even made me do a double take at first before I looked more closely. Makes me wonder if they've given up on the park projects they've been kicking around at D23 for the past couple years and are going to double down on digital simulations instead.

Meanwhile, Universal's reaction to this news-

View attachment 767295
100% guarantee it was an Inside The Magic post

tanc

I don't see how this is better than making games based on original content. I just don't see how Fortnite could possibly equate to 1.5 billion. To put into perspective, some of the top of the line games cost about 100+ million to make. How could fornite possibly be worth 1.5 billion? There's no way skins or whatever are possibly worth that much.

Surferboy567

I don't see how this is better than making games based on original content. I just don't see how Fortnite could possibly equate to 1.5 billion. To put into perspective, some of the top of the line games cost about 100 million to make. How could fornite possibly be worth 1.5 billion? There's no way skins or whatever are possibly worth that much.
Totally agree, it’s worth noting Kingdom Hearts is also exclusively on the epic games store on PC

VicariousCorpse

I don't see how this is better than making games based on original content. I just don't see how Fortnite could possibly equate to 1.5 billion. To put into perspective, some of the top of the line games cost about 100+ million to make. How could fornite possibly be worth 1.5 billion? There's no way skins or whatever are possibly worth that much.
Fortnite made 4.4 billion in 2022.

tanc

Totally agree, it’s worth noting Kingdom Hearts is also exclusively on the epic games store on PC
Huge Kingdom Hearts fan, but not even KH is worth 1.5 billion. Most of those games were handheld games that probably cost substantially less to make.

Surferboy567

Huge Kingdom Hearts fan, but not even KH is worth 1.5 billion. Most of those games were handheld games that probably cost substantially less to make.
Oh, I know it’s not worth that but it’s worth noting that it was exclusive to epic games.

Also mainline games are the ones that bring in the most money. They are console releases, I think the age of handheld games are behind us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom