Disney+ @ Parks & Rollout

Mouse Trap

let's be honest here... if the same people are architecting and managing Disney+ than managed their other websites... it will be a disaster in terms of stability

why a company the size of Disney can't get their act together on this drives me crazy, especially as an IT guy myself knowing what typically needs to be done to plan and/or autoscale where needed.

It's not the same people. And as an "IT guy" you should know that and why.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Does the Imagineering story focus on situations / people, or the legendary attractions and state of the parks at certain time periods?.. or both?

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Well big news in regards to Disney+. An unprecented number of 4K releases, including many of which cannot even be found on Blu-ray ranging from all Star Wars films to Pirates of the Caribbean, Beauty & the Beast, Who Framed Roger Rabbit (originally in 4k so surprising it took this long), Wall-e, and even the Black Cauldron.This is huge, and a surprising turn since Disney has resisted 4K.

Star Wars going to a series format is a game changer as well. Sure, Disney+ could fail through some consumers refusing to make the switch, but it has everything in the making to be an unprecedented success. Long term strategy is key and it’s very impressive as is. It will only grow in value when more content moves over from Netflix and when it is the only place to stream its catalog. The high-quality original shows—not so much movies—are sure to keep people onboard.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Does the Imagineering story focus on situations / people, or the legendary attractions and state of the parks at certain time periods?.. or both?

It's framed through time periods. The first episode for example covers the creation of Disneyland through Walt's death. Episode 2 is the creation of WDW through Tokyo Disneyland.

The content is the people and attractions and trying to uncover their process in the time period they worked. Episode 1 is obviously Walt heavy, but also talks to and/or about others. Interviewees talk much about their process in designing the park and or attractions. Bob Gurr talking about creating the Matterhorn and and examination of Mary's Blair's process were the highlight of the first episode for me.

AndyS2992

Oh good, the tv channel line up at Disneyland Paris is dire. News channels, Disney Channel or Sophie, Paris’s version of Stacie prancing about the parks filmed back in like 2006 lol and that’s about it.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
let's be honest here... if the same people are architecting and managing Disney+ than managed their other websites... it will be a disaster in terms of stability

why a company the size of Disney can't get their act together on this drives me crazy, especially as an IT guy myself knowing what typically needs to be done to plan and/or autoscale where needed.

If you're an IT guy, then you should know that there will always be server issues on a launch day, regardless of what it is. No amount of planning will stop your service from crashing because theres a LOT of people trying to get on at the same exact time.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If you're an IT guy, then you should know that there will always be server issues on a launch day, regardless of what it is. No amount of planning will stop your service from crashing because theres a LOT of people trying to get on at the same exact time.
I get that but I’m not buying it. There are ways to plan better unless the number of hits just waaaaay exceeded their estimates and stress testing numbers in which case I feel as if they should have over planned at first and then ramped down when able to

disney is not unique from other mass website traffic sites that are way more consistently stable

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Again, the best planning wont stop literally almost everybody from trying to use your service at the same exact time and overloading the servers. Let's take a look at video games and specifically Call of Duty. Every single year a new game releases and the servers take a dump because everyone's trying to play at the same time. This year was no different.

WDWTank

The app is down as of 6:52am EST. Any word on hotel rollout?

Not unexpected given the unprecedented demand!
View attachment 424886
EDIT: Went back up shortly after, with outages popping up sporadically in the hours since. Nothing to be alarmed about, and this was to be expected. The app is actually well designed and smooth, and it will work great once the initial rush dies down.
LOL I love that error message picture! :D

mikejs78

Premium Member
I get that but I’m not buying it. There are ways to plan better unless the number of hits just waaaaay exceeded their estimates and stress testing numbers in which case I feel as if they should have over planned at first and then ramped down when able to

disney is not unique from other mass website traffic sites that are way more consistently stable
Most of those Mass website traffic sites have had outages on launch days of specific products. Amazon, of all companies, still ends up with issues on Cyber Monday and Prime day on occasion.

And having done this for high volume apps before, no amount of stress testing can prepare you for actual users slamming the system. Often times everything checks out in stress testing, and users use the system in a pattern you didn't predict, and find a bottleneck that was not uncovered during testing.

Scale is a very difficult challenge and it's not as easy as just throwing hardware at the problem and stress testing it.

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Most of those Mass website traffic sites have had outages on launch days of specific products. Amazon, of all companies, still ends up with issues on Cyber Monday and Prime day on occasion.

And having done this for high volume apps before, no amount of stress testing can prepare you for actual users slamming the system. Often times everything checks out in stress testing, and users use the system in a pattern you didn't predict, and find a bottleneck that was not uncovered during testing.

Scale is a very difficult challenge and it's not as easy as just throwing hardware at the problem and stress testing it.
Agreed. People prefer emotions over facts, so that’s why you have click-bait in the first place. Disney+ is killing it so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom