Disney not subject to Anaheim’s ‘living wage’ ballot measure, judge rules - OCR/SCNG

RobWDW1971

Yes, it's terrible that young people are concerned with solving these problems instead of leaving them for future generations.
You have to love it - even when you openly mock their self-righteous insufferable earnestness - they just keep on coming without an ounce of self-awareness.

At least when the WW2 generation hated the Hippies, they were having fun.

October82

You have to love it - even when you openly mock their self-righteous insufferable earnestness - they just keep on coming without an ounce of self-awareness.

At least when the WW2 generation hated the Hippies, they were having fun.

As far as self-awareness (or the lack thereof) is concerned, this speaks for itself.

SuddenStorm

Soylent Green is people!!!!

k5o-Ly.gif

Which reminds me. This fabulous Charleton Heston movie from 1973 was set in the year 2022. That's in six weeks. 😭

Back in the early 1970's all the "experts" just knew the population explosion would destroy us all, we'd all be starving to death by now and all the oil would be gone, and that all human advancement and technological progress would stop circa 1972. 🤣

Because... "experts" never lie! They also never apologize when they get it all so very wrong. :rolleyes:

But if any of you kids are looking for a fun movie night in front of your giant 4K screen, you can't do better than the 50 year old Big Hollywood classic Soylent Green. All the "experts" just knew this was our future. It was common knowledge back in the 1970's that this is what the 2020's would be like. They're experts!

It's funny- there's a meal replacement shake company that's popular in Silicon Valley that decided to call itself Soylent. It's a creative name, but I'm not sure they really thought that one through.

October82

It's funny- there's a meal replacement shake company that's popular in Silicon Valley that decided to call itself Soylent. It's a creative name, but I'm not sure they really thought that one through.

The name is based on the book and not the movie.

RobWDW1971

Soylent Green is people!!!!

k5o-Ly.gif

Which reminds me. This fabulous Charleton Heston movie from 1973 was set in the year 2022. That's in six weeks. 😭

Back in the early 1970's all the "experts" just knew the population explosion would destroy us all, we'd all be starving to death by now and all the oil would be gone, and that all human advancement and technological progress would stop circa 1972. 🤣

Because... "experts" never lie! They also never apologize when they get it all so very wrong. :rolleyes:

But if any of you kids are looking for a fun movie night in front of your giant 4K screen, you can't do better than the 50 year old Big Hollywood classic Soylent Green. All the "experts" just knew this was our future. It was common knowledge back in the 1970's that this is what the 2020's would be like. They're experts!

I prefer the future of Logan's Run when Farrah Fawcett was naked and ridiculously thin and good looking people ran around in polyester jumpsuits and went to Carousel when they got old.

Sailor310

Last edited:

TP2000

I kept looking and found "Make Room! Make Room! " by Harry Harrison. The source for the movie "Soylent Green".
Similar story line, except ..."A riot breaks out after a nearby food shop has a surprise sale on "soylent" (soy and lentil) steaks."

The book was from the mid 1960's and was set 35 years in the future in the year 1999. The world was over-populated because that's what all the mid 1960's "experts" said would happen by 1999. I read that book one summer about five years ago, and it was a riot.

Then when they made the book into a big budget movie in 1972, they set it even further into the future and set it 50 years later in 2022. The world was still over-populated, but had also collapsed and run out of oil and most commodities and almost all food. Because that's what the "experts" of the early 1970's said would happen in the early 21st century. It was common knowledge, and there were many serious Sci-Fi movies in the 1970's set in a 21st century where we had nothing. Experts are never wrong!

Except when they are wrong. Over and over again. :cool:

Vegas Disney Fan

Yes, it's terrible that young people are concerned with solving these problems instead of leaving them for future generations.

I think you missed the sarcasm that all these things (minus the social media brand) have been happening for generations. Kids today take a self righteous attitude that they are the first to tackle the worlds problems, but they aren’t, every social issue of today is nearly identical to what us “revolutionaries” fought back when we were self righteous teens and 20 somethings also.

In 20 years the revolutionaries of today will be the adults mocking the attitudes of the future revolutionaries who are fighting the same issues and feeling self righteous because they are “the first to do it”.

When I was a kid it was LGBT rights (they’ve just added more letters now), racism, police brutality (Rodney King), smog, the ozone layer, the “military industrial complex”, homelessness, inner city crime, etc, etc, etc. Nearly the exact same issues as today.

We’ve made huge strides in most of those issues if people take the time to look, far from perfect but it’s funny to see the young generations say nothing has been done by previous generations.

Last edited:

October82

I think you missed the sarcasm that all these things (minus the social media brand) have been happening for generations. [...]

I get the sarcasm. It's just not appropriate.

If the worst thing that you can say about someone is that they're too optimistic, that they are naive for believing things can change, or that they're wrong for believing that they can change it - if you make sarcastic comments and act like it's all a joke - well, all I'll say is that says a whole lot about you. None of it is good.

Vegas Disney Fan

I get the sarcasm. It's just not appropriate.

If the worst thing that you can say about someone is that they're too optimistic, that they are naive for believing things can change, or that they're wrong for believing that they can change it - if you make sarcastic comments and act like it's all a joke - well, all I'll say is that says a whole lot about you. None of it is good.
Nothing wrong with being optimistic, I consider myself an eternal optimist, nothing wrong with believing you can make a change either... being self righteous and condescending that you are the “first” to do it while completely ignoring decades of progress is well deserving of mockery though.

It’s also self deprecating, we were the same, we thought we were the first to “care” while ignoring everything our parents and grand parents generations did. Being a know it all, while blaming everything on previous generation, is a decades old young adult trait, the irony is we all turn into our parents… the same will happen to todays youth.

TP2000

Being a know it all, while blaming everything on previous generation, is a decades old young adult trait, the irony is we all turn into our parents… the same will happen to todays youth.

I just hope they learn how to laugh a little. Maybe look up from their phone once in awhile and laugh at something funny happening in real life?

Perhaps even gain a personality of some sort? ;)

TP2000

So, the Living Wage thing.

Apparently the few people who will go on record saying what a "Living Wage" is either think CM's should actually be paid slightly less today than they were 30 years ago adjusted for inflation, or think they should be paid upwards of $45 per hour to set out muffins in the hotel or sweep up nakpins in Frontierland.

Can we just remember that the next time someone claims CM's should be paid a "Living Wage!" please? :D

Vegas Disney Fan

I just hope they learn how to laugh a little. Maybe look up from their phone once in awhile and laugh at something funny happening in real life?

Perhaps even gain a personality of some sort? ;)
One of my favorite phrases… people need to pick their battles, a lot of things shouldn’t be laughed at but some should. Too many people find everything offensive and cant take a joke anymore, I can’t imagine being a stand up comedian these days, must be insanely hard.

Attachments

• C68605E6-F5C4-42FA-8C0F-588D94703E09.jpeg
    C68605E6-F5C4-42FA-8C0F-588D94703E09.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 48

October82

Nothing wrong with being optimistic, I consider myself an eternal optimist, nothing wrong with believing you can make a change either... being self righteous and condescending that you are the “first” to do it while completely ignoring decades of progress is well deserving of mockery though.

And when you show that me that person - I'll be just critical of them for whatever their sins may be. But I'm not going to go on a Disney forum and proudly put others down - certainly not for the tremendous offense of 'lacking historical perspective'.

To get this conversation back on topic. Today's young people are - statistically, factually - the best educated and hardest working generation in American history. They also have the dubious distinction of being the first generation in our country's history to be worse off than their parents. They're not wrong (or self-righteous) for telling you about it.

TP2000

They also have the dubious distinction of being the first generation in our country's history to be worse off than their parents.

About the only way they can be worse off than their parents is by going into big debt in order to get a worthless BA degree in "Communications", or any of the other BA degrees flooding the system. But at least they can rest easy, knowing there's an army of faculty and administration who laughed all the way to the bank.

Otherwise, the young generation today is safer, more comfortable, more coddled, more entertained, and surrounded by more luxuries, goods and services than their grandparents could ever dream of. And those luxuries, goods and services today's youngsters enjoy cost much lower than their parents and grandparents paid for inferior products.

RobWDW1971

If the worst thing that you can say about someone is that they're too optimistic, that they are naive for believing things can change, or that they're wrong for believing that they can change it -

Oh no, no, no - I was in no way openly mocking your generation's optimism, naïveté, or hope, please don't get me wrong.

To be crystal clear, I was openly mocking your generation for your boundless narcissism, complete lack of perspective and knowledge about what came before you, and your obnoxious devotion to self-promotion and meaningless, empty virtue signaling.

;)

TP2000

When Glyndanna Shevlin started her job as a Disneyland cashier in 1988 for the suspiciously high hourly wage of "5 dollars over minimum wage" a 20 inch RCA TV was selling for $198, as taken from this ad from the 1988 Christmas season.

maxresdefault.jpg

Adjusted for inflation, that $198 becomes $440 in today's money. And that money buys you a dramatically better product, like this 55 inch Samsung UHD priced at $449.

blog_10.png

Christmas 1988 = 20 Inch TV, 480p, mono sound, 13 channel dial, $198 ($440 in 2021 dollars)
Christmas 2021 = 55 Inch TV, 4K, stereo sound, WiFi enabled connectivity, $449 in 2021 dollars

It goes on and on like this. Automobiles, air travel, air conditioners, refrigerators, clothing, groceries and food staples, energy prices, furniture, home maintenance products, hardware, tools, kitchenware, etc., etc.

All of that got cheaper while the product improved, and sometimes became something wildly sci-fi like the TV example above (try explaining YouTube and Hulu and Netflix to someone from 1988, once they get over the concept of a slim 55 inch screen with unreal clarity that hangs on a wall).

So, yeah. Tell me again how we're supposed to feel sorry for the kids today earning $17 an hour selling churros at Disneyland?

Vegas Disney Fan

About the only way they can be worse off than their parents is by going into big debt in order to get a worthless BA degree in "Communications", or any of the other BA degrees flooding the system. But at least they can rest easy, knowing there's an army of faculty and administration who laughed all the way to the bank.

Otherwise, the young generation today is safer, more comfortable, more coddled, more entertained, and surrounded by more luxuries, goods and services than their grandparents could ever dream of. And those luxuries, goods and services today's youngsters enjoy cost much lower than their parents and grandparents paid for inferior products.

Wonder how many teens/20s today would volunteer to trade with their great great grandparents and live in the nineteen teens and be sent off to WW1, or happily trade with their great grandparents of the 30s for the ease of living during the Great Depression, or their grandparents of the 50s and the privilege of dying in WW2 thanks to the draft?

Wonder how many minorities and “protected” classes would trade places with their parents and grand parents who were second class citizens by law, had to live in the shadows, and had the privilege of using separate bathrooms and sitting in the back of the bus?

Our generation was lucky, we didn’t get drafted and sent off to war, we didn’t face any massive world ending crisis, the worst we had was living under threat of nuclear war and aids, we were also the first latch key generation because both parents had to work, compared to my parents and grand parents I’ll take that in a heartbeat though .

Todays kids are in a similar situation as our generation, just with a lot more toys.

This is exactly the mindset that drives me crazy, kids today (living in relative luxury) actually believe they have it bad compared to previous generations.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom