Disney needs to crack down on merchandise scalping.

FettFan

Original Poster
This morning, as part of Epcot's 35th anniversary, a limited edition Funko Pop figurine of Figment was released in the park.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/09/FigmentPop-800x400.jpg
Problem 1: Guests were limited to 10 figurines a piece. Not much of a limit, and from what I've seen on social media, there were complaints of this limit being ignored outright, with some people walking away with as many as 15.

Problem 2: Scalping. These figurines were $19.99 plus tax at Epcot....but soon started popping up on eBay for $50-$60 each. These "Disney fans" were buying up as many as they could just to turn around and re-sell them at 300% markups. (which, being the nature of eBay, won't actually be taxed like a regular business).

This isn't the first time this has happened....a few weeks ago, the Orange Bird Funko Pop was released in-park with the same "ten per guest" mentality....and promptly invaded eBay and Amazon for crazy prices. https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Orang...=1506896148&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+bird+funko

And Disney's not the only company with this problem....we keep seeing the same thing from Nintendo, last year with the NES Classic and this year with the SNES Classic.

Here's my solution to end this madness.....1. When Disney makes limited editions of these items, actually work to limit them to park visitors. 10 per guest is downright stupid; you KNOW these jokers are just going to go run online. (Mr. $60 Figment was in such a rush to resell his, he actually took his ebay sales pic while sitting in his car, holding the boxed Figment in front of his radio. Classy)

2. Not only limit the number being sold to in-park guests, but also put some of them for sale online, so that if someone wants one who isn't anywhere near the park that day, they aren't getting ripped off by a scalper.

AndyS2992

100% agree. Shame that some people are so damn selfish.

However how would this be enforced? Say an item was limited to two per guest, what’s stopping someone from buying two at one location, then going to another store across the park and buying two more there and so on. Likewise someone could buy two and then come back a short time later and buy more since the cashier would probably be different or they just wouldn’t remember them.

The thing is Disney is getting their money so I doubt they care. I’m sure they’d rather scalpers clear the shelves than have stock sitting around for months on end taking up space. The fact it was limited 10 per customers just shows this. It would be 2 per customer if they were being serious about it. Who needs 10 Figment Funkos? Obviously going to get sold on.

FettFan

Original Poster

However how would this be enforced? Say an item was limited to two per guest, what’s stopping someone from buying two at one location, then going to another store across the park and buying two more there and so on. Likewise someone could buy two and then come back a short time later and buy more since the cashier would probably be different or they just wouldn’t remember them.

That's just it though....the demand of these limited edition items is so high that people are lining up for hours to get a chance at them. According to some of the posters on Orlando Attractions Magazine's facebook page, the wait to get Figment was nearly 3 hours.

Cmdr_Crimson

The thing is Disney is getting their money so I doubt they care. I’m sure they’d rather scalpers clear the shelves than have stock sitting around for months on end taking up space. The fact it was limited 10 per customers just shows this. It would be 2 per customer if they were being serious about it. Who needs 10 Figment Funkos? Obviously going to get sold on.

IMO When you purchase something in the park you should get your magic band scanned for a Merch-Purch...That way if you go to Mousegear to buy said 2 and then run over to Imageworks to get another 2 it would then block the person in buying another set for their own limit....But, then's theirs the people that bring their families and have them buy 2 of each and so on and soforth...

Disneyhead'71

It's not Disney's fault that you guys are crazy enough to feed a profitable "after market".

I have very little toleration for the "Disney Crazy" anymore. After I saw a 60ish year old woman, I refuse to call her a lady, physically shoved my 5 year old daughter out of her way so she could bull in a china shop her way to the front of the line to get the special pin at Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea. She was stunned when I placed both of my hands on her back and very firmly shoved her away from my child and informed her that she would not be touching my child again (ie: get your (expletive) hands off my kid). She puffed herself up real big and was about to unload on me when I pointed at the security camera and said, "they have you shoving my kid on tape, and Disney doesn't take kindly to adults assaulting 5 year olds at their resort. So shall we call security now. I'm sure Disney would LOVE to tresspass you and take your AP." She put on her indignant face, huffed, and walked away. And here is what it was all about.
RARE-DLR-Disney-Mary-Poppins-Practically-Perfect-Tea.jpg

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I mean there is obsessive..... And then there's obsessive! Like this gentleman who bought out an entire set of Cinderella popcorn buckets at Disney's Hollywood Studios when they were released
From disboards...
yOxh19k.jpg
Yeah that is a CM coming stock a location not a customer! Lol I laugh every time I see this posted yet again.;)

Raineman

I still fail to understand the hysteria over park-specific collectibles, pins, etc. The only merch I usually come home with after a WDW trip is a t-shirt or two, and any complimentary items from our resort room (I have quite a few WDW pens at this point). Are tiny Disney pins really worth fighting over? Seriously. My favorite souvenirs of any trip are some pictures, and alot of great memories, both of which I do not have to stand in line and fight other people for.

GlassHalfFull

I still fail to understand the hysteria over park-specific collectibles, pins, etc. The only merch I usually come home with after a WDW trip is a t-shirt or two, and any complimentary items from our resort room (I have quite a few WDW pens at this point). Are tiny Disney pins really worth fighting over? Seriously. My favorite souvenirs of any trip are some pictures, and alot of great memories, both of which I do not have to stand in line and fight other people for.

I will never go to the park to stand in a line that is more than 15-20 minutes to buy merch.. but if that's what AP's want to do with their time, unless disney does these Shop Disney opportunities for those of us hundreds or thousands of miles away, the AP's will do it if for nothing else, exclusivity and paying for their AP's.. I know at the last Star Wars Weekend, I overheard multiple people (in the 15 min line I was in) saying they buy all the ones they want, and extras of each to sell to pay for their AP's each year..

JIMINYCR

Not just a Disney problem. DS works for a major retailer and whenever they have a special advertised they have entire families and crews coming in buying up to the personal limit and trying to come back later to buy more. Items being sold not only on E-bay later on but also on overseas markets. Disney sells an item at their cost, they are making their profit and dont care what happens afterwards to the merchandise. They cant stop someone else selling on E-bay at a higher price. People who dont live close cant pop in and buy so these sellers see a market. Disney limiting editions like these spurn the mass buying and reselling. Not only limiting sales to individuals but start selling online to those of us being taken advantage of.

DizWiz

I understand the exclusivity of selling park specific and limited edition merchandise only in the parks. Hey...if you're there and able to get an item, then more power to you. However, clearly, when somebody is buying 10 of an item, it's not just for them. Yes, there are ways to get around the 2 per person limit (have other family members buy, get back in line, etc.), but at least it's something to inconvenience them and it would allow others a chance to get one before they get another turn at getting them. And, if an item isn't selling as briskly as Disney thought it would, they can lift the limit at any time. But, if there's a 3 hour line, and people are buying 10+ at a time, you're going to have a lot of disappointed people at the back of the line that are there on the special day and just want the opportunity to purchase their one.

JohnD

To me it actually means something if I'm there and I buy a specific item or two to remind me of why I visited. Otherwise, no eBay for me. I have items from each MNSSHP, MVMCP, SWW, Osborne Lights, I attended. That kind of thing. Basically more sentimental value. Funko POP Figment? Um, no.

Edit: Epcot 35 shirts are now available again on the Disney Parks app. I broke down and bought one. Legitimate purchase, not from a scalper on eBay.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Didn't really have to go into a panic mode to get this, but on my one-day Disney trip back in August, I WAS going to get me A Great Movie Ride souvenir. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of people waiting in the line for a tervis cup...but that is what I wanted and went after it. Other than that item, no I don't understand the hype like yourself. For some reason an item is marketed to become a collectible in the hearts of many Disney fans. They item is usually followed by something like "Limited Edition" or "For a short time ONLY".

Other than that, my normal WDW souvenirs are things I can use in the office, pens, mugs, calendars, etc (not to mention my favorite gummies of all time - Character Gummies). I do however have a few pins on my work backpack, but I don't trade. Not sure what that is all about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom