Disney Monorails go Officially Automated?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The difference is that those are attractions and the monorail is a mass transit system. The other thing is that you can close an attraction for an extended period of time to work on issues with the automation. Again, the monorail is a mass transit system that cannot be closed for an extended period of time to work on an automation project that started 5 years ago. There are just too many logistical issues with trying to upgrade the current monorail fleet to be fully automated.

But the current system is being upgraded for autoamtion, and parts of it had been shut down for extended periods for the work.

StarWarsGirl

Interesting. A computer system with a human there for emergencies certainly seems safer. I have to wonder what effect this technology could have on breakdowns on the system, whether this would reduce downtime or possibly just cause new issues (just speculating here; I don't actually know the answer).

It is nice to know they are actively working on upgrading/replacing the fleet.

MonorailMan

But the current system is being upgraded for autoamtion, and parts of it had been shut down for extended periods for the work.
The upgrade to automation has been going on for years and it isn't new news that they're trying to automate it. Parts of the system have been shut down during the middle of the day but it is still operating at park open and park close. To entirely close the monorail system for an entire day (which wouldn't be enough time to do really anything) would be a catastrophe.

Agreed....
But in the current atmosphere of "eliminate, ret rid of, do without, cut costs on," as much as Disney can get away with, that could be an expensive situation compared to letting the computers run everything.
I'm guessing that the trained drivers would be a temporary feel good measure for the park patrons.
Additionally, the GIGO rule is still in effect and the system will only be as reliable as the programmers input allows, and since the programmers are fallible humans the possibility of an unexpected set of circumstances occurring that the automated driver isn't programmed to respond correctly to is a possibility.

We all fail, therefore, for these automated systems exists computers based on artificial intelligence are not independent decision-making capabilities based on parameters unforeseen. When an automatic driving system detects a malfunction in any of its parameters, it stops or at the nearest station or the site where it is; prioritizes the lives of people on its mission to drive the monorail. It's all about knowing programming techniques well and have staff to monitor the development of the monorail from the central monorail control. It is not dangerous or less effective, is another way of thinking and see the development of the future. Not to do without drivers but reconvert in another sector within the monorail to make this service more efficiently.

As someone who at times deals with network security(from a fail-safe standpoint, not a hacker proof standpoint) I agree with all that you said, except they would have to also add redundant systems.

Exactly, redundant systems are always needed, as well as a remote control and many others. You only need a good design team and other maintenance and monitoring developments.

Chef Mickey

Rather than pay a trained Monorail operator Disney would rather gamble on the efficiency and safety of a computer which has all of the situational awareness of a toilet seat and none of the reliability.
You aren't giving computers/automation any credit and are ignoring the level of sophistication of today's automation in many every day things. So many things are automated, you don't even think about it.

1) I guarantee there will be an employee to "oversee" the automation, like pilots of today.

2) You'd be shocked at how much automation exists in the world today. For example, human error causes an overwhelming majority plane crashes, not the automation that you trust anytime you fly.

3) Planes can land themselves. We trust it every day and that's way more complex than a monorail on a single track.

4) Automation is the present and will be even more prevalent in the future. And it's the future because it is safer than a distracted, tired, or inept person.

5) Ever see anyone drive? It's no wonder Google is pushing hard for automated cars. It can and will work. It's already happening. I'd rather trust computers than these people on cell phones, shaving, putting on makeup, and being generally aggressive.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

Am I missing the point? I thought the whole idea of the automation was to run more trains more efficiently on the track, reducing the time people wait to take the monorail to get back to the resorts. I didn't think this was a cost-cutting measure. Are the same people who are complaining about this, the same people that complain about how long it takes to get a park by monorail?

Tom

Beta Return
I was at the Ticket and Transportation Center today where monorail blue came in and suddenly stopped halfway through the station. Then I noticed this computer panel set up in the cockpit, so I asked a cast member what it was for and he said that it was the brains behind the automation of the Mark VI Monorails and it was not going so well and was delaying the "removal of the pilot" and that there were some computer errors going on. By the way, there was a pilot in the cockpit and had to manually drive the monorail completely into the station. Anyone know anything about this or whats going to happen in the future?
View attachment 135650 View attachment 135651 View attachment 135649

I had not seen one of the computers until these photos. At least it's nice and compact, and modern looking :rolleyes:

It looks like a "computer" cabinet they would have built in the 1970s for American Adventure.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I had not seen one of the computers until these photos. At least it's nice and compact, and modern looking :rolleyes:

It looks like a "computer" cabinet they would have built in the 1970s for American Adventure.

That looks like a PLC controller and high power relays there is a processor in there somewhere.

mergatroid

Seems odd people complaining about having a pilot and an auto pilot system? The computer should do it in a more timely manner meaning less waiting time overall for guests. It will cost Disney more still paying for a driver who won't be used most of the time, it's actually a sign of them caring more about safety than anything. Surely that's a good thing?

UncleMike101

Seems odd people complaining about having a pilot and an auto pilot system? The computer should do it in a more timely manner meaning less waiting time overall for guests. It will cost Disney more still paying for a driver who won't be used most of the time, it's actually a sign of them caring more about safety than anything. Surely that's a good thing?
IMO, Disney's concerns about anything are taking second place to maximizing income at this time.
And.....
Computers work well in an ideal world where nothing goes wrong.
However in the real world one thing is certain.
Murphy's Law is inevitable.
Computers cannot possibly have all of the information that a well trained human can posses and computers can only rely on fixed algorithms input by programmers to accomplish a task where humans can foresee outcomes and make adjustments accordingly.
That's why we'll be sending people into space, and not just machines, for as long as there are people.
Of course Stephen Hawking may be correct when he said, "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540
If machines ever become self aware they may well decide that humans are not only unnecessary, but an impediment to their future development.

mergatroid

IMO, Disney's concerns about anything are taking second place to maximizing income at this time.
And.....
Computers cannot possibly have all of the information that a well trained human can posses and computers can only rely on fixed algorithms input by programmers to accomplish a task where humans can foresee outcomes and make adjustments accordingly.
That's why we'll be sending people into space, and not just machines, for as long as there are people.
Of course Stephen Hawking may be correct when he said, "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."
If machines ever become self aware they may well decide that humans are not only unnecessary, but an impediment to their future development.

There's a human in there too who can take over if need be. It's like an aircraft using auto pilot whilst the pilot is also there. It's like this very website uses a computer to blank out swear words whilst the human moderators also seek out argumentative posters and ban them.

UncleMike101

There's a human in there too who can take over if need be. It's like an aircraft using auto pilot whilst the pilot is also there. It's like this very website uses a computer to blank out swear words whilst the human moderators also seek out argumentative posters and ban them.
My point is that Disney will eventually want to remove the human component because of the costs.
Pilots will likely never be removed because of the probable outcry by the flying Public.
And anyone who's ever cursed Auto Correct knows how unreliable a computer program can be when it comes to human interactions.
I worked in a Quality Auditor office where, to eliminate the possibility of the workers browsing , certain key words were placed into the in house internet system as banned.
Consequently all of the people working there had to sign up for an e-mail server other than Hotmail.
GIGO is still in effect and will always be the reason to keep people in decision making positions.
Like driving a conveyance that carries people.
EDIT: Note that the word that I used to describe perusing the Internet in search of salacious material was changed by the computer to a series of stars whereas a human would have understood that my intent was not to look up such material but was merely using the common word for such material.
GIGO!!!!!!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

And.....
What? This automation process is hardly breaking new ground.

gsimpson

wow. I would have never expected people to complain about Disney modernizing. As our UK friends call tell you the Docklands Light Rail system is automated and fairly large. There are quite literally nearly a hundred automated "people mover" systems in use. In Miami there is a hybrid system, mostly a large people mover, that is fully automated. When Space Mountain has 10 or so vehicles out on the track do you really think "well trained human" could make sure they stay appropriately separated and the time between dispatched ride vehicles is never too close yet as close as possible to get hourly ride capacity up? If a vehicle or rider had an emergency on the track would a human be able to react fast enough to keep all the ride vehicles apart and stopped at the brake run if one of them fails? The automated systems does that quite nicely. I like the pilots because they are fun to talk to and with a pilot on board if something goes wrong you won't have to wait for someone to get out to you, but as far as operating the system and keeping it safe the automated system will be superior once completed.

mergatroid

My point is that Disney will eventually want to remove the human component because of the costs.
Pilots will likely never be removed because of the probable outcry by the flying Public.
And anyone who's ever cursed Auto Correct knows how unreliable a computer program can be when it comes to human interactions.
I worked in a Quality Auditor office where, to eliminate the possibility of the workers browsing ****, certain key words were placed into the in house internet system as banned.
Consequently all of the people working there had to sign up for an e-mail server other than Hotmail.
GIGO is still in effect and will always be the reason to keep people in decision making positions.
Like driving a conveyance that carries people.
EDIT: Note that the word that I used to describe perusing the Internet in search of salacious material was changed by the computer to a series of stars whereas a human would have understood that my intent was not to look up such material but was merely using the common word for such material.
GIGO!!!!!!

Well I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one my friend (but that's good as it would be really boring if we all had the same opinion :)).

There's nothing to say that Disney will remove the pilots of the monorails, in fact I've read on here that Disney have stated quite the opposite. Using the examples of aircraft and autopilots, it would actually appear that there's more fatalities or accidents as a result of pilot error than of the 'autopilot' crashing planes. Aircraft are much more complex than monorails and yet there's never been a public outcry as a result of aircraft taking off, cruising and landing all using autopilot. Being a much more complex system than the monorail you'd have thought there'd be many more problems using autopilot on aircraft, however that doesn't appear to be the case. The death of the monorail pilot a few years back was ultimately judged to be because of human error if I recall correctly, that's partly why Disney are bringing in this system now.

It's an interesting debate with arguments for and against but with the current system in place and a pilot still present, I don't think it's a huge problem. I could be wrong however I'm pretty sure that the monorails at Orlando airport have no human driver, have there been many incidents with that system if that actually is the case? As far as I'm concerned, I'm ok with the current system. I'm sure there's far more danger in us getting in our cars each day to drive to work, having to trust others drivers sharing the road with us all of whom could cause an accident that takes our lives from us. Also had the monorail that crashed near Epcot not had a driver, then there'd have been no fatalities as the cockpit was the only part damaged seriously if I remember correctly. An interesting debate though, with valid views from both sides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom