Disney Money?

Sir Hiss527

Original Poster
I love Disney just as the next guy does, everything the magic, rides, etc. Now I went to the "Colombia Harbor House" yesterday got a simple Chicken finger basket and a Sprite. $10.00 bucks it was. I hate there money buisness ripping people of like this. To me they have so much money, why do they have to cheat us? Disney seriously needs to go down on their prices. Walt is probally so ticked right now:lol:. Anyways back to the post. What do you have to say about this? Thanks! Post!

-Sir Hiss-

Erika

Come on over to Chicago- we can rip you off just as easily here :lol:

$4 for a Coke at the movies last night and NO refills allowed :mad:

orangefan15

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
I love Disney just as the next guy does, everything the magic, rides, etc. Now I went to the "Colombia Harbor House" yesterday got a simple Chicken finger basket and a Sprite. $10.00 bucks it was. I hate there money buisness ripping people of like this. To me they have so much money, why do they have to cheat us? Disney seriously needs to go down on their prices. Walt is probally so ticked right now:lol:. Anyways back to the post. What do you have to say about this? Thanks! Post!

-Sir Hiss-

Well, there's 3 things at work here that I see. One is the captive audience issue. You're in the parks and on Disney property...chances are you aren't going to leave the park, hop in the car and drive off property just to save $5 on a burger while wasting large amounts of time. As such, they can get away with charging high prices. Its the same reason why movie theaters charge $7 for a small tub of popcorn and $4 for a drink.

This is also a direct result of all the people who want bigger and better rides to open and open fast. Big, better, technologically advanced rides carry a HUGE price tag...they've got to get the money from somewhere. It all translates into higher prices on everything.

And lets not forget Wall Street. Wall Street nowadays demands that a company's earnings exhibit huge amounts of growth each year. Otherwise, your stock price plummets and people question the financial viability of your company (even if you're still making money!!!!). As such, companies are forced to raise their prices to create these huge growths in revenues and earnings.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527

-Sir Hiss-
What's the difference between this and a movie theater (thanks, Erika), an airport, Six Flags, or a hotel? You are a captive audience and you basically have no choice. I know that when I go to WDW, I'm going to have to fork out the cash for everything I do, but I know this in advance and am prepared to deal with it. Try budgeting your money on a trip and factor in that it's going to cost. Period. Disney is expensive and the prices are not going down.

Woody13

The Colombia Harbor House serves mostly deep fat fried food and I don't care for that sort of meal. However, the New England Clam Chowder - served in a bread bowl for $4.99 is a very good deal. Try it next time you have the chance. I think you'll enjoy it very much.

cymbaldiva

Re: Re: Disney Money?

Originally posted by sandjhooker
What's the difference between this and a movie theater (thanks, Erika), an airport, Six Flags, or a hotel? You are a captive audience and you basically have no choice. I know that when I go to WDW, I'm going to have to fork out the cash for everything I do, but I know this in advance and am prepared to deal with it. Try budgeting your money on a trip and factor in that it's going to cost. Period. Disney is expensive and the prices are not going down.

I agree with what you're saying, but isn't it a bit sad?

It's sad for me to realize that for me to go to Disney, I will have to wear my poor checkbook out just for room, park admission, and fast food fare - I don't think that that's the way Walt wanted things to be

SpongeScott

Re: Re: Re: Disney Money?

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I agree with what you're saying, but isn't it a bit sad?

It's sad for me to realize that for me to go to Disney, I will have to wear my poor checkbook out just for room, park admission, and fast food fare - I don't think that that's the way Walt wanted things to be
Yeah, I guess it is kinda sad; this is why we start planning a year in advance for a trip down there. As for Walt, I can't answer that. All I know is that as a businessman, I'm sure he was interested in turning a dollar. Plus, times have changed since Walt left us, so for good or bad, all of corporate America is about $$$.

cymbaldiva

And in the meantime, most of America have to save for ayear to even visit WDW and can still not possibly afford to take advantage of the many luxuries (sp?) that they have to offer...

Diva is sad...:cry:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
umm.. compared to other Theme and Amusement parks across the US, WDW is a bargain (ESPECIALLY in comparison to Cedar Fair parks!)

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by mktiggerman
umm.. compared to other Theme and Amusement parks across the US, WDW is a bargain (ESPECIALLY in comparison to Cedar Fair parks!)
True that. As long as you don't go all out you can eat at a Disney park for much cheaper than a Six Flags park. Back when I had an annual pass to Six Flags Over Texas I never considered eating meals there because it was just too much. It's a shame they don't have a Pecos Bill Cafe at SFOT!

SpongeScott

Originally posted by mktiggerman
You're right, Rob. I can drive 4 hours to Six Flags and plop down $40 per person OR I can drive 12 hours to Disney and plop down $50 per person. This is not even a contest. I rue the day when I ever have to walk back through the turnstiles of a Six Flags park.

SpongeScott

Well, it is after midnight.....

When you're paying close to the same price for themepark entertainment, I'll take Disney hands down, though a little higher in price and further away in dsitance. Disney gives you more bang for the buck.

Better?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
ooops... forgot to cite an example!! lol

Cedar Point, last summer. Lunch for 3 consisting of 2 Burgers, 3 Small Sodas (at least they had refills!!) and an order of Onion Rings came to $29. At WDW, an Equivalent meal would've cost $22 at WDW and $25 at Universal

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I think I missed the value statement in that one...:confused:
Value is more than cost.

Taking my previous example, I can eat cheaper at SFOT from a cost paid point of view than I can at Disney. BUT the food isn't very good and you get a lot less of it! So Disney is "cheaper" even though it costs more because I would have to buy many more food items at SFOT for the level of satisfaction I get at Disney!

Pecos Bill is like $7 or so a meal which is steep for burgers and fries by most standards but the food is delicous and you get access to the fixin's bar! I can get a burger and fries for less than $7 at SFOT but the value of that meal is much lower.

Badger Brent

I think sandjhooker was just trying to say he has the option of going to another park that's closer and cheaper but still thinks the overall bang for your buck is at WDW. The whole meal situation kind of irks me sometimes. But when you go to a national chain and plop down $60.00 for a family of 4 without trying, you realize that WDW pricing isn't that bad after all. You get for the most part, atmosphere, better service, and hopefully something that isn't offered in your home area when you dine at WDW.

SpongeScott

THanks, Mr. Brent!! And you are correct about eating out with a family of four and shelling out the bucks. If you're careful and Disney and don't mind ______________ down that lovely Florida tap water, you can do fairly well on your meals for a themepark.

Wckd Queen

I just finished paying off my 2 trips to WDW from 2000 this month :sohappy:

Yes, overall, it is a very expensive vacation, but I cant think of anywhere else I would rather spend my money or my time :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom