Disney Misses Out on Michelin Stars

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was wondering about this too. We took a trip just before the pandemic and just after they reopened, and again late last year. Drop off in food quality was dramatic over that time. Can’t help but think it’s carried over to some degree across the board?
I think the bigger loss beyond quality…which they always try to do behind the wall…is the loss of serving/managerial staff likely with a 2 year closure.
That is important.

The problem that Disney fans have…both in restaurant and lodging…is believing that the travel industry doesn’t downgrade them for their lack of service investment. But it does.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not only Disney fans, but most importantly, Disney itself. It's in nobody's interest for Disney to get complacent.
Well that’s an old “flaws of Disney thing” people don’t like…

But the problem with charging what they do and touting their hotels is that it comes with tourism basic assumptions…just a few:

1. You don’t tell your front office staff to not venture off property or make recommendations if the guest requests them. Ridiculous.
2. You don’t have a non-24 concierge. Which is why they stopped calling it that in the first place. You also don’t hire them out of a central hiring pool with no experience. Holiday inn is more picky.
3. You never have no ability to provide food/drinks…really anything after like 10 pm. Embarsssing.

hismattjesty

As a foodie who has dined at no less than 50 Michelin starred establishments and V&A multiple times, 1 star is likely all they'd ever receive. While the food is great and ambiance and service fantastic (in all fairness, I have not eaten there since the current remodel), they are nowhere near or even on par with a 2 or 3 starred establishment. The Chef's Table experience would get them to that 2nd star, but it is too inaccessible to be considered in the review process.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a foodie who has dined at no less than 50 Michelin starred establishments and V&A multiple times, 1 star is likely all they'd ever receive. While the food is great and ambiance and service fantastic (in all fairness, I have not eaten there since the current remodel), they are nowhere near or even on par with a 2 or 3 starred establishment. The Chef's Table experience would get them to that 2nd star, but it is too inaccessible to be considered in the review process.
V&A is ultimately a stones through from a mass attended amusement park that has a big castle mock-up in the center. Open hotel grounds…stuffed animals walking through the breakfast below it…swimsuits everywhere.

It’s not THAT place.

But considering all that…it’s been pretty amazing overall

Jrb1979

V&A is ultimately a stones through from a mass attended amusement park that has a big castle mock-up in the center. Open hotel grounds…stuffed animals walking through the breakfast below it…swimsuits everywhere.

It’s not THAT place.

But considering all that…it’s been pretty amazing overall
That's why I don't get why they try to have so many high end places to eat or make it a place for the upper class.

Unbanshee

Yeah, that's one of my thoughts too. V&A's pricing is in line with some Michelin 3-star restaurants. And one of Michelin's four evaluation criteria is "value for money." That is not exactly synonymous with Disney costs.

However, I really think Michelin's decision came down to timing: V&A simply hasn't been re-opened long enough for a proper review cycle:
  • V&A re-opened on July 28, 2022. Call it August 1 to make the math easier.
  • I'm assuming Michelin had to complete its reviews by April 1 at the latest.
  • That's 9 months, tops, for a reviewer to schedule approximately 3 trips
AND
  • It's unlikely that Michelin would've sent a reviewer until the restaurant had been opened a while. If you told me they have to wait at least 3 months, and more likely 6 months after opening, I'd totally believe that
  • V&A's chef, Matthew Sowers, has only been there 9 months as well.
The combination of being open 9 months, with a new chef in place for only 9 months, might be the main reasons it doesn't have stars yet.

Like I said, I was there last night. Had the degustitation menu. It meets the other criteria for Michelin stars. I think it's just a matter of time.

ETA: For context, the most recent 2-star I've dined at is The Modern in Manhattan. I don't know how many 1-stars I've been to, but the most recent was Capa at the Four Seasons.

V&A was included in the guide in general. Is being included in the general guide different criteria than the bib gourmand or star process?

My95cobras

V&A was included in the guide in general. Is being included in the general guide different criteria than the bib gourmand or star process?
Very.
recomended is just a place they think is good, but the lowest form of recognition.
bib is a place to get an app, main and glass of wine for under 50
the stars criteria are significantly higher.

Bocabear

That's why I don't get why they try to have so many high end places to eat or make it a place for the upper class.
While I agree the food costs across-property are higher than other amusement parks, there are not a lot of places for the "Upper Class"...lol V&A is a destination restaurant...there is only one of them on property in this league. It is nice to have one place on property where you are not going to wait hours to be seated in a noisy dining room....and have a truly great meal and exceptional experience... I think there is a good mix of value, moderate, and expensive restaurants overall... maybe a few too many expensive ones...but V&A is not in the same category...It is a separate thing altogether.
Dining at Disney World is more like going to a resort destination...as opposed to an amusement park... there are different options for different budgets...I am glad at least there are places that are a little nicer...a little quieter and less crowded...and kid-free.

flyakite

Sorry for the bump…I ate at Norman’s tonight and learned about their efforts to achieve Michelin stars in the near future. In discussing the surprise that V&A did not receive any acknowledgement, it was pointed out that the restaurants submit a menu prior to being considered and V&A was late in submitting the menu, unfortunately. Thus, they were not reviewed. However the reviews occur every six to nine months. So….. let’s see what happens this fall or winter.

RSoxNo1

Just looked and it seems like there are no times for Toledo - Tapas, Steak and Seafood from October 9th on? Any idea what's going on here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom