Disney MGM-Studios Soundstages

cattle

Original Poster
Does anyone know the status of the Disney-MGM Soundstages 1,2,3 and 4?

Any info would be most appreciated. My uncle runs a production company and wants to set up a movie on a Disney soundstage.

If the experts are avaliable and can provide detailed answers all the better.

Thanks

Brian_B

I was in one of them last year for a property control sale, and it looked to be in alright shape. It was the one with the greenscreen, but I"m not sure which one...

I know that one of them is used for the who wants to be a millionare show. Another had a recreated set from the haunted mansion movie in it, and for a short time you could tour it. I heard that while the tour closed, the park rents the set out for special dinners/events.

When I was working @ movie ride in july a film summer camp used at least one soundstage on a daily basis, so it appears they are quite functional. You should call the disney operator and start asking around.

Hope this helps

- Brian

cattle

Original Poster
thanks Brian

anyone know more information?

someone needs to know something?

Thanks again

anyone? anyone? bueller? bueller?

LongballMG

I am very interested in the Disney-MGM Studios.

Can some of the history experts, and I know there are some..., Please help this guy out?

I'd very much like to know about the Soundstages.

Thanks

Mike

Brian_B

Well...

I know that all of the soundstages were a part of Backstage pass, because there's a tour lane that runs through all of them. Originally, backstage pass was a part of The Backlot tour, which used to last roughly 2 hours...in the days when the studios were more utilized for actual production there would be things going on in the soundstages all the time, and hence fodder for the tour. I believe that a few of them housed different things over the years, such as the honey I shrunk the kids bee/blue screen demonstration, and the bette midler "lottery" film and subsequent "sets" (the idea being you watch the film, and then see the sets on the soundstage, like they JUST finished filming it...pretty neat, if I remember). I don't know the details, but apparently the trams loaded at the end of this walking tour over @ the Animation tour building. There's a long over hang of roof, making a covered area - this is where the original queue for the trams used to be located (you boarded them after the walking tour/backstage pass). Interesting note: It's still show-acceptable for Disney/MGM Studios CMs to wear the old backstage pass long sleeve jackets in cold weather (at least it was last winter, at movie ride) - it's interesting to see them walking around with history on their jackets...

The problem with the whole backlot area is that since it's cut off by the highway, there's no room for expansion, which is why part of the backlot was demolish for LMA. I love LMA, but I wish there was a better place they could have put it, or maybe just a way they could have reorganized the backlot...

- Brian

barnum42

Thought I read that Disney had closed them down as functional studios as they were too remote from other production facilities. But I'm sure if a production company had the money to hand, Disney would open them up.

LongballMG

bgraham34 said:
I believe they are to be Used for the Chronicles on Narnia walk thru coming Dec.

Does this affect all 4 soundstages? That would be interesting.

I'd like to see some action in the soundstages again.

Mike

cattle

Original Poster
Why is it that my threads always die?

The soundstages are a fantastic part of disney history.

Can the experts please endulge us?

Thanks

barnum42

cattle said:
Why is it that my threads always die?

The soundstages are a fantastic part of disney history.

Can the experts please endulge us?

Thanks
Afraid I don't think there is much to say. They hoped to make a new functional studio, but the logistics of being too far away from the major production centres meant they never caught on, and so filming was dropped.

LongballMG

With all the news about the new Narnia attraction, does anyone know anything more about the rest of the Disney-MGM Studios Soundstages?

Mike

speck76

The entrance to 1 is used for a Mickey Mouse Meet & Greet

2 & 3 are used for WWTBAM

4 is used for Narnia, was used for The Haunted Mansion previously (until May 2004)

Post-Production and the Walt Disney Theater are used for One Man's Dream

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom