Disney/MGM Studios crowds - Sat, Dec 11

wannab@dis

Anyone else at the Studios last Saturday? We were there earlier in the week and everything seemed as expected in December. The crowds were heavier than I've seen in early December, but they not bad. We had 15 - 25 minute waits at ToT and RnRC. The shows were full, but not a madhouse by no means.

All that changed on Saturday. We started the day at AK and the first thing I noticed was, WOW, where did all these people come from? I have never seen that many people trying to get in, nor have I ever seen the masses of people trying to get through the Oasis. The park was not overwhelmed, but it did seem more than normal for this time of year. Dinosour had 30 - 40 minutes, PW had 25 - 40, FotLK was 90% full, KS was 45 minutes. Well, the real eye opener was when we decided to leave to go over to MGM for the rest of the day.

We left AK around 3:30 and the entrance to MGM was packed. It took at least 15 minutes to get through the turnstyles into the park! Most were open with the exception of a couple of exit areas and the construction areas. Hollywood Blvd and Sunset were both shoulder to shoulder people. ToT was 55 minutes and RnRC was 60 minutes. We got a fastpass for RnRC that was good about 2 hours later so we decided to standby ToT. They were using the entire queue!! We ate and then headed back over to RnRC for our fastpass and it took 20 minutes with the FP!

Went over to Star Tours and it was backed up almost outside, but only took about 20 minutes to board. When we came out, it was dark and they had opened the Spectacle of Lights. I have never seen that many people in MGM at one time! The entire street (old NY street) was PACKED with people. Nobody could walk! Then entrance to the SoL was lined up back to the GMR.

We decided to call it a night. The crowds exceeded what I have seen in peak season in July. As we were leaving, there were security guards stationed at the end of Hollywood Blvd trying to direct people out of the park. So many people were still coming in that they couldn't use the exit turnstyles. They were sending people out through the backstage area next to Oscars and then out of the park. I talked to a guard and he said he had never seen that many people at MGM in the years that he had worked. He called it "just plain wierd". I have to agree! Anyone else there?

wannab@dis

Original Poster
I've got a couple and will try to post them when I get a chance. It was so crowded on the way out that I didn't take time to get a pic, but got a few earlier.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom