Disney/MGM NEW SHOW Survey - Weird

KnightRonin

Original Poster
Below is an excerpt from a survey I received today via e-mail about a potential new attraction at Disney/MGM Studios. Based on the survey, the show will carry a separate admission price that seemed (to me, at least) cost prohibitive. What do you all make of it? Cool? Garbage?

Disney is considering building a new 2,000 seat indoor, air-conditioned theater located at Disney-MGM Studios. The theater's design will evoke the grandeur of Hollywood's golden era with an expansive stage and state-of-the-art sound and lighting system.

The show itself will give Guests the opportunity to truly immerse themselves into the fantasy and wonder of Disney stories, brought to the stage in a way that Guests have never seen before. Innovative and amazing special effects, elaborate dance choreography, and thrilling acrobatics will captivate both adults and children. Guests will love the chance to see their favorite characters in a brand-new way, immersed in some of the greatest Disney stories and songs ever created. Imagine a live Peter Pan and Wendy flying over the heads of the children seated in the audience. A beautiful, backlit nighttime sky with thousands of stars and a bright full moon surrounds them. Think of seeing the Black Pearl come to life on stage before your very eyes, so real you could touch it. Pouring off its deck are a dozen pirates singing, "Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.” These stories are seamlessly interwoven to take Guests to other fantasy worlds that embrace the wonderful fairytales for which Disney is famous. This is a show that has the beauty of "The Lion King" on Broadway, but will be unique to the Walt Disney World® Resort; a once-in-a-lifetime experience, only to be seen at our property.

The nighttime show's duration will be approximately 1 hour, 45 minutes.

Regular admission to Disney-MGM Studios does not include admission to the nighttime show (the nighttime show is extra). However, regular admission to the park is not required to gain access to the theater (that is, Guests can enter the theater directly through a special entrance outside the park).

Mecha Figment

first of all the only plausable place to put this, is in the light motor action stage area. MGM really doesn't have any room for expansion. unless it is going into the indy stage, Which is possible because it can be accesed easily through the back stage entrance to the left of the main enterance.

DisneyMusician2

I'd much rather see it on the LMA Stage. I could do without that show in the future, and although there has been some recent negative response to Indy, I always enjoy seeing it when I am there.

DisneyMusician2

It sounds like a Fantasmic 2!! But why would it be a nighttime show if it were indoors??

They want to treat it more like a Broadway production, something you would do after dinner when you're all shopping and ride-going out. It is good business to keep you in the park and getting you to spend some more $. I bet the theatre will even exit through a small gift shop. But I still think it would be cool!

dreamscometrue

I think that sounds interesting, but why not have it included in the admission price? Do you think it's because it would be pricey like La Nouba? Also, does Disney typically send out surveys like this before building an attraction?

DisneyMusician2

I've never actually heard of a survey quite like this one....but it is interesting to see what the reactions will be BEFORE you dump a lot of cash into a large-scale project like this one.

DisneyDellsDude

They want to treat it more like a Broadway production, something you would do after dinner when you're all shopping and ride-going out. It is good business to keep you in the park and getting you to spend some more $. I bet the theatre will even exit through a small gift shop. But I still think it would be cool!
Yeah, I see now. Do you think Fantasmic will be affected a lot?

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
MGM really dont' have any room for expansion. unless it is goign into the indy stage, Which is possible because it can be accesed easily through the back stage entrance to the left of the main enterance.

MGM has PLENTY of expansion room. If you look at an airial photo...huge amounts of room are till to be used. Plus, there are buildings there now that aren't really being used to the full potential that they once were. When was the last time you actually saw something being filmed there? It's been years since it's really been used as a "working studio" as it was once was advertised.
Plus if the tram ride gets any shorter - they might as well do away with it. Look at all the room those props take up.

Just my two cents.:wave:

DisneyMusician2

I don't know. I would imagine both shows would run on opposite nights. I can't see them getting rid of Fantasmic, it still draws very well. I'm envisioning a M,W,F and a T,Th,Sa kind of shedule if a show like this were to go into MGM.

nibblesandbits

Remember, this is an extra pay event. From what it sounds like to me, it will be more along the lines of something like La Nouba. An additional thing to pay for, if you want to see it, but will not interfere with the rest of the park's daily operations. (Meaning Fantasmic will not be affected.)

What it sounds like is Disney is planning on bringing "Broadway" to them and performing "Broadway" style shows on site...instead of in New York or at a theater they don't own. Of course, my idea is just speculation...but that's what it sounds like to me.

Mecha Figment

MGM has PLENTY of expansion room. If you look at an airial photo...huge amounts of room are till to be used. Plus, there are buildings there now that aren't really being used to the full potential that they once were. When was the last time you actually saw something being filmed there? It's been years since it's really been used as a "working studio" as it was once was advertised.
Plus if the tram ride gets any shorter - they might as well do away with it. Look at all the room those props take up.

Just my two cents.:wave:

I personaly worked mgm for 6 months. and i can tell you most of what you see in satelite pictures doesn't do it justice. there are service stations studios and corparate offices scattered all through out the ares back stage. for a stage of this size it would have to utilize a preexisting space or else it would wind up righ tnext to a public road.

Jerm

This would not be Fantasmic! 2, this would be a special show. Anyone remember when Coperfield was going to have his place that would be a sit down show/eatery???? This sounds like a way to do another show and get more money off of it.

I don't like the idea of it at all....espically cause of the Black Perl!!!! Can we please get off that before it becomes the next stitch?

J

teebin

This sounds like something that should be built at DTD and not MGM. Plus, I can imagine that not a few park attendees would be miffed that a show at MGM is not included in the admission price.

Lynx04

It says it would be a new indoor theater, not the location of a current attraction. I feel that maybe Downtown Disney would be a better location for this. The park doesn't seem like the location to have a nightly show event in the way of a Play or Musical. I am interested in hearing more about the idea to see how they plan on caring this out.

Vernonpush

Remember, this is an extra pay event. From what it sounds like to me, it will be more along the lines of something like La Nouba. An additional thing to pay for, if you want to see it, but will not interfere with the rest of the park's daily operations. (Meaning Fantasmic will not be affected.)

What it sounds like is Disney is planning on bringing "Broadway" to them and performing "Broadway" style shows on site...instead of in New York or at a theater they don't own. Of course, my idea is just speculation...but that's what it sounds like to me.

That's the feeling I got. A "Broadway type show". They could have their touring companies doing The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Aida, there. They could also have new shows have their "tryouts" there before they hit Broadway (I'm sure it would be cheaper to produce/tryout a show for a Disney loving audience there than in NYC).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom