Disney MaxPass reviews

Travel Junkie

I never understood the need for magic bands. It wasn't going to take long (and we are already there) to have the technology to make them obsolete.

I never found the special edition MB's to be popular. I hardly see anyone wearing them in the parks.

disneygeek90

Whaaaat! Man, their is nothing new under the sun. I give up.
Almost every Limited edition one makes a special sound/light effect at park entrances. The Mickey Star Wars one released a few years ago works at every touch point in in DHS. The Pandora one released works at AK. The Beauty and the Beast one works at the entrance of all four parks, etc.

These cost $32.99/piece.

mickEblu

Almost every Limited edition one makes a special sound/light effect at park entrances. The Mickey Star Wars one released a few years ago works at every touch point in in DHS. The Pandora one released works at AK. The Beauty and the Beast one works at the entrance of all four parks, etc.

These cost $32.99/piece.

I get it. I'm not creative. Lol jk

D

Deleted member 107043

Would they even have to bury the costs?

I'm assuming that perhaps there's some sort of operational or set up costs for DLR. Assuming there are, and if I'm paying $500 a night for a room, I'm probably not going to flinch at paying a little extra for that room if a fancy trinket or downloadable app that unlocks my door, bills purchases to my room, makes dining reservations, and helps me bypass standby lines is included. I think what's annoying to most people, at least to me, is the sense that you're constantly being asked to fork over money.

Are folks using magic bands as room keys at WDW?

Yes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As have been said before, MagicBands are not and will not be coming to DLR anytime soon if ever. It just does not make sense for a park built around locals. DLR doesn't have a need for MBs, it just doesn't, especially not just for the FP feature. Also this idea of collectible MBs doesn't make sense for DLR. You are not going to have a majority of DL APs buy 3, 4, 5 different MBs just because. Sure you'll have some collect them, but a majority won't.

Plus MBs are old technology and not being deployed at any other Disney park, its locked to WDW. Mobile is the newer and future technology. Which is why Disney is using it at most parks going forward. Think of MBs as version 1.0 and the Mobile as version 2.0.

mickEblu

You are not going to have a majority of DL APs buy 3, 4, 5 different MBs just because. Sure you'll have some collect them, but a majority won't.

Really? You don't think the people spending 20$ on pins would spend $25 on a magic band that makes their life easier when at the parks? Also why do they have to buy multiple bands for them to be profitable for Disney? Keep in kind they're already producing these for WDW so it's not some unchartered territory. The more I think about it, the more I realize that DL is a much better market for collectable magic bands than WDW is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Really? You don't think the people spending 20$ on pins would spend $25 on a magic band that makes their life easier when at the parks? Also why do they have to buy multiple bands for them to be profitable for Disney? Keep in kind they're already producing these for WDW so it's not some unchartered territory. The more I think about it, the more I realize that DL is a much better market for collectable magic bands than WDW is.

I agree with this, although I'm a bit biased because I like anything that simplifies processes.

I also stubbornly believe that Disney can't possibly plan to rely on local AP traffic to drive growth at DLR forever. While there's nothing wrong with having a strong established customer base made up of locals, management must realize it hasn't fully tapped the 23 million visitors who kept Anaheim's 21,000 hotel rooms occupied last year pumping $8.1 billion into the local economy*. Seems like a pretty shortsighted business strategy to only focus on locals when you're the centerpiece of a vibrant and growing tourist hub that hasn't been fully maximized.

*Reference: http://visitanaheim.org/article/anaheim-breaks-visitor-volume-record-fourth-year-row

mickEblu

I agree with this, although I'm a bit biased because I like anything that simplifies processes.

I also stubbornly believe that Disney can't possibly plan to rely on local AP traffic to drive growth at DLR forever. While there's nothing wrong with having a strong established customer base made up of locals, management must realize it hasn't fully tapped the 23 million visitors who kept Anaheim's 21,000 hotel rooms occupied last year pumping $8.1 billion into the local economy*. Seems like a pretty shortsighted business strategy to only focus on locals when you're the centerpiece of a vibrant and growing tourist hub that hasn't been fully maximized.

*Reference: http://visitanaheim.org/article/anaheim-breaks-visitor-volume-record-fourth-year-row

I don't think they really have a choice. DLR being landlocked in Anaheim just isn't really set up to be a major vacation destination. Even with a third park. Aren't most of those hotel rooms booked because of Disneyland? I'm also assuming the Anaheim convention center has a lot do with those numbers and many of those folks are also attending Disneyland, even if just for a day?

D

Deleted member 107043

Aren't most of those hotel rooms booked because of Disneyland? I'm also assuming the Anaheim convention center has a lot do with those numbers and many of those folks are also attending Disneyland, even if just for a day?

Well sure, but my point is that with all of that tourist traffic, which grew by 8% last year, Disney would be remiss if it didn't cater to tourists by offering perks like Magic Bands or similar. According to the article I linked "there’s more than $2 billion in investment happening in the 1,100-acre district between Disneyland Resort, the Anaheim Convention Center and hotel construction". That kind of investment can't all be happening because of local APs and vloggers.

Daveeeeed

Currently it's an adjustment for the crowds and Fastpass lines for many of the bigger rides have an additional Cast a member telling people they need to have their Park Ticket out.

Cast Members are still getting used to it, but like I have said before it is for the better.

Last edited:

tirian

But why wouldn't they just start selling the collectible ones for $25 a pop for people who don't want to pull out their phones Or scan tickets? Especially since they have the infrastructure now.

Every single local would buy one (myself included).
You'd have to buy more than one, because the bands aren't colorfast and fade badly within a year. ;)

mickEblu

If Disney wants to spend money on the DLR, I'd rather them use it for attractions and restaurants, not wristbands one uses to enter the park and their hotel.

I'm viewing this as merchandise. This isn't some huge investment. (Unless I'm missing something here?) Their already producing them for WDW and have the infrastructure at the DLR parks now.

Californian Elitist

I'm viewing this as merchandise. This isn't some huge investment. (Unless I'm missing something here?) Their already producing them for WDW and have the infrastructure at the DLR parks now.

It costs money to install the stations, produce more Magic Bands, etc. No, thanks. I personally don't see the value of using money for bracelets that store information I already have in my purse and can easily pull out, and would be free of charge (for Disney). However much that would cost, use it towards a ride, a show, etc. Enhance something or put in something new.

mickEblu

It costs money to install the stations, produce more Magic Bands, etc. No, thanks. I personally don't see the value of using money for bracelets that store information I already have in my purse and can easily pull out, and would be free of charge (for Disney). However much that would cost, use it towards a ride, a show, etc. Enhance something or put in something new.

Can't they use the touch points they already installed for the phones? I guess I'm not understanding the investment concerns. They re already producing these. What's the difference of them producing magic bands or another gazillion mugs or pins?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Can't they use the touch points they already installed for the phones? I guess I'm not understanding the investment concerns. They re already producing these. What's the difference of them prodcuimt magic bands or another gazillion mugs or pins?

I'm not sure about the touch points.

I don't care about pins or mugs either. That's why I said put the money towards attractions and/or restaurants, and not merchandise. I don't have even the slightest interest in Magic Bands. You do and that's okay. We won't come to an agreement, that's all. Haha.

mickEblu

I'm not sure about the touch points.

I don't care about pins or mugs either. That's why I said put the money towards attractions and/or restaurants, and not merchandise. I don't have even the slightest interest in Magic Bands. You do and that's okay. We won't come to an agreement, that's all. Haha.

Haha I don't care either way. I'm just trying to understand if I'm missing something fundamental here. I don't think the merchandising budget has anything to do with the attractions budget but I could be wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom