News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickp1983

Attachments

• Sleepy-Hollow-Refreshments-Sweet-and-Spicy-Chicken-Waffle-Sandwich-October-2016.jpg
    Sleepy-Hollow-Refreshments-Sweet-and-Spicy-Chicken-Waffle-Sandwich-October-2016.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 64

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interestingly, my sister-in-law is a COVID long-hauler whose symptoms abated after she received her first vaccine dose, and disappeared once she became fully vaccinated. Could be a coincidence, but even so, a great result after suffering for 5 months.

This has been reported by other long haulers. No scientific studies on it as far as I know, but anecdotally the vaccine does seem to help at least some long haulers.

GaBoy

They’ll hit one or the other by July 4.
Yeah. This expert feels that the 40% fully vaccinated is the magic number to see cases drop dramatically. I think his reasoning was it will drop the positivity rate down as it nears that 40%. So, it would just lead it a little.

orky8

Better folks out there than me to answer this but some experts predict the 5% 2 week average will come before the 70% first shot. I'm thinking end of June.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hit this next week. If not, then certainly the following week. This metric drops quickly. For the week starting 5/1, the number was 5.44% and for the week starting 5/8 it was 4.72%. This has been trending down in OC for weeks and will likely be lower, perhaps much lower, next week.

Roy G. Dis

What's the linkage between the OC positivity % (isn't this mostly residents?) and mask policies for guests (mostly non-residents?) at a theme park? Wasn't the latest change due to CDC (national) guidelines?

orky8

What's the linkage between the OC positivity % (isn't this mostly residents?) and mask policies for guests (mostly non-residents?) at a theme park? Wasn't the latest change due to CDC (national) guidelines?
The CDC just issues guidance. States and localities determine the actual rules, perhaps based on that guidance.

Now, there’s an interesting issue here in that Orange County has a mask mandate and three phases for removing that mandate, and the Florida Governor has said by executive order those mandates are forbidden in the state. Regardless of the legality of the Orange County mandate, Disney seems to be aligning with it. Currently Orange County is at Phase II. Phase III occurs when 70% vaccinated and/or rolling 14 day positivity below 5%. That second item, the positivity rate, I believe will occur with the next week or two, and which time theoretically Orange County will remove all mask mandates. Business can require masks along whatever policies they want, at least for now.

disneygeek90

The CDC just issues guidance. States and localities determine the actual rules, perhaps based on that guidance.

Now, there’s an interesting issue here in that Orange County has a mask mandate and three phases for removing that mandate, and the Florida Governor has said by executive order those mandates are forbidden in the state. Regardless of the legality of the Orange County mandate, Disney seems to be aligning with it. Currently Orange County is at Phase II. Phase III occurs when 70% vaccinated and/or rolling 14 day positivity below 5%. That second item, the positivity rate, I believe will occur with the next week or two, and which time theoretically Orange County will remove all mask mandates. Business can require masks along whatever policies they want, at least for now.
That works great if all WDW guests are OC residents, but they’re not. I don’t see the correlation and, if there is, it’s pretty much pointless.

orky8

That works great if all WDW guests are OC residents, but they’re not. I don’t see the correlation and, if there is, it’s pretty much pointless.
I didn’t opine on what WDW should do. I was just stating what Orange County’s regulations are and what metrics Orange County is using for determining phases, which governs (theoretically) WDW. I would note that the national positivity rate is lower, so perhaps WDW should use that for determining policy rather than Orange County’s? Most Covid 19 metrics are better on a national level as compared to Florida, so maybe WDW is being too conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom