News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Pleakley

Most people have at least some sense of humor. I took it as a funny way to get the rule across on a ride where it’s not apparent that a mask should be worn.

The problem with this is he’s joking about a health and safety policy, and that’s totally inappropriate.

It also perpetuates an attitude among guests that the rules are silly and therefore optional. It just puts more pressure on their fellow cast members who are enforcing the rules.

I likely wouldn’t require masks on the PeopleMover were it up to me but as a guest I’d follow the rule without whining and as staff I wouldn’t undermine the rule.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm surprised that their insurers and risk managers would sign off on this.

Has there been any liability due to people catching COVID due to attending a particular location or event?

Even if one could prove they got sick at WDW, which seems unlikely, I imagine there would be no liability because going to a crowded theme park during a pandemic carries obvious risk.

Clamman73

Has there been any liability due to people catching COVID due to attending a particular location or event?

Even if one could prove they got sick at WDW, which seems unlikely, I imagine there would be no liability because going to a crowded theme park during a pandemic carries obvious risk.
As per Disney
“By visiting Walt Disney World Resort you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.”

Chi84

Premium Member
The problem with this is he’s joking about a health and safety policy, and that’s totally inappropriate.

It also perpetuates an attitude among guests that the rules are silly and therefore optional. It just puts more pressure on their fellow cast members who are enforcing the rules.

I likely wouldn’t require masks on the PeopleMover were it up to me but as a guest I’d follow the rule without whining and as staff I wouldn’t undermine the rule.
Honestly I think most people wouldn’t get all that worked up about it. Especially at WDW.

Chi84

Premium Member
My wife's a claims coverage counsel who counts on several healthcare clients, including a major insurer, herein Florida. She discusses at home the increase volume of health insurance claims from hospitals when compared to the pre-COVID era, almost all due to COVID.

There's still plenty of risk in crowded settings.
There may be a risk of getting COVID, but the risk Disney would be concerned about is the risk of liability. As long as they are acting with reasonable care toward their guests, they are safe. And following CDC guidelines is a good measure of whether they are acting reasonably.

Bob Harlem

A lot of the things he's done in the past year are costing the parks money.

The fact that FL had one of the highest COVID rates in the world was costing the parks money.

Masks probably were a little too - but not nearly the only factor and probably not the dominant one.
Universal Orlando just had their best performing quarter EVER. I don't think that did a damn thing.

"I'd like to highlight our theme parks, especially Orlando, which just reported the most profitable quarter in its history, despite having virtually no international guests due to Covid-related travel restraints," Chairman and CEO Brian Roberts said.

BuddyThomas

Trauma

Yes it’s inappropriate that how humor works.

Lilofan

It has to be exhausting trying to do their jobs in the face of constant immaturity, selfishness, and disrespect.
You just described the behavior of some guests, especially the drinking teams decked out in their T-shirts at Epcot Food and Wine and that's even pre-Covid. Like the fools that used to climb the Mexico pyramid while others looked on?

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Universal Orlando just had their best performing quarter EVER. I don't think that did a damn thing.

"I'd like to highlight our theme parks, especially Orlando, which just reported the most profitable quarter in its history, despite having virtually no international guests due to Covid-related travel restraints," Chairman and CEO Brian Roberts said.

You do understand that Universal could make less money and still have higher profits right? Higher profits does not necessarily equate to higher attendance - expense cuts factor into it as well and increased revenue per guest. Revenue is still lower than pre pandemic.

Lilofan

One reason is merchandise sales are probably going through the roof. There are some that complain going to the parks are expensive which it is. This group helping the parks perform amazingly will beg to differ.

DisneyCane

Yes it’s inappropriate that how humor works.

I would have laughed. Out loud.
100% agree. Also, the "serious" crowd on here would be surprised but I'd be willing to bet that treating the policy with humor like that leads to better compliance and fewer conflicts.

If I'm being required to pointlessly wear a mask on a moving ride that is briefly indoors, my thought would be comradery with the CM and being more accepting of wearing it because at least I would feel that the CM also knows it is silly and is only enforcing because he has to.

Another bet I will make is that despite some of the loud voices on here, if Disney announces that tomorrow masks are voluntary indoors, if you observe the crowd tomorrow, fewer than 10% of people will be wearing them.

Muffinpants

How many times has Disney been sued by a guest for COVID infection since the pandemic began? The risk to Disney is vanishingly small.

(Edit: I see several others beat me to this point, LOL)
You sign away any rights to sueing Disney over covid... So they have little to stand on.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
How many times has Disney been sued by a guest for COVID infection since the pandemic began? The risk to Disney is vanishingly small.

(Edit: I see several others beat me to this point, LOL)

How many time does a claim been filed against their insurance, or a demand letter been settled out of court? No one knows because no one would know, that stuff wouldn’t make it to the courts. Lawsuits aren’t the only reason they pay out claims.

Americans need to stop thinking beyond the lawsuit as the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom