News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdude81

Are you an infectious disease physician with a masters in public health, or PhD in Biology with a focus on Virology? If not you’re going to need to to provide some proof to that statement. I will continue to trust the CDC, so far the only “experts” calling for masks are physicians who make a living being talking heads on TV. The scientific consensus remains the vaccines work.

To use an analogy, imagine the pandemic is a flood. Wearing a surgical mask is akin to having a bucket. If your house is flooding there is a chance that if you went into the basement and started dumping the water into your backyard you could prevent the water from getting to the main floor of your house, but your going to get wet, and you most certainly are not going to prevent your basement from flooding. The vaccine is a sump pump, it has a great chance of preventing any flooding, but it’s not 100%. Assuming it continues to function (all studies thus far have shown it does) asking a vaccinated person to mask is like insisting a person with a sump pump go down to their basement with a bucket and watch to see if any water comes in. It’s probably useless, annoying, and unlikely to prevent your house from flooding if the pump fails.
And if you plugged or wrapped the leaky pipe with a shirt it would slow the flow of water. Not stop it, but create a better seal than nothing and slow down the leak while you tried to clear the flood.

Touchdown

What you are suggesting is that even with 100% of the country vaccinated, we would still require mitigation techniques.

I would start getting used to the idea of normality while COVID is spreading rampant, because that’s what is going to happen once we’re sure hospitalizations are truly decoupled from cases. Odds are, we’re all getting this thing one way or another.
If count mass vaccinations as a mitigation I completely agree with you. If you mean anything else no, that’s not what the evidence is showing as evidenced by what our public health experts are saying. According to them, the only places vaccinated people need to mask is a hospital and public transport that’s it.

Disney Glimpses

If count mass vaccinations as a mitigation I completely agree with you. If you mean anything else no, that’s not what the evidence is showing as evidenced by what our public health experts are saying. According to them, the only places vaccinated people need to mask is a hospital and public transport that’s it.
You’re saying that vaccination isn’t fool proof. If everyone were vaccinated today, Delta would still be spreading. Then what?

Touchdown

And if you plugged or wrapped the leaky pipe with a shirt it would slow the flow of water. Not stop it, but create a better seal than nothing and slow down the leak while you tried to clear the flood.
If that’s what’s causing the flood, but I was more implying natural forces (rain) which can’t be turned off.

Touchdown

You’re saying that vaccination isn’t fool proof. If everyone were vaccinated today, Delta would still be spreading. Then what?
Of course they aren’t foolproof! Nothing is (except death and taxes.) They are good enough that if the entire world got one, this would be over, and in the meantime if you have one your chances of getting the disease are significantly reduced, and your chances of having a bad outcome (hospitalization/death) are so rare it does not warrant any extra protection. That’s why the CDC is not recommending we mask at this time, unless you are in a place with Covid+ individuals (hospital) or held tightly together for long periods of time in a poorly ventilated space (public transport.)

Otterhead

When you’re vaccinated, it’s not a deadly virus.
You're correct that the purpose of the vaccine is to reduce or eliminate symptoms for 95% of people.

But remember: the vaccine does not eradicate the disease. It doesn't prevent you from getting it, testing positive, and carrying it without any symptoms. The parks are full of kids who cannot get the vaccine (yet!). With new variations that are far more transmissible than the older one we had a year ago, yes, it could become extremely important for vaccinated people to wear masks again to avoid giving kids Covid.

Otterhead

There’s more to life than avoiding a SARS-CoV-2 infection at all costs.
There's more to life than... death?

It seems to me that if your choices are (a) play roulette with your health or (b) make the absolute minimum of effort by putting a small piece of cloth over your nose & mouth while in crowds, one of those things is far more preferable, and it's bizarre to me that some people here are so terrified and angered by it.

Touchdown

You're correct that the purpose of the vaccine is to reduce or eliminate symptoms for 95% of people.

But remember: the vaccine does not eradicate the disease. It doesn't prevent you from getting it, testing positive, and carrying it without any symptoms. The parks are full of kids who cannot get the vaccine (yet!). With new variations that are far more transmissible than the older one we had a year ago, yes, it could become extremely important for vaccinated people to wear masks again to avoid giving kids Covid.
Thankfully so far in this pandemic children seem protected as well hence why I’m ok with the policy even without them getting the shot. Besides that’ll change by the end of the year.

pdude81

If that’s what’s causing the flood, but I was more implying natural forces (rain) which can’t be turned off.
Sure. But if rain like a leaky roof then it'd be a point of entry that has a similar method. Every situation would be different. Now if you're talking about an environmental flood like a levee break or a tsunamai, then I can't agree with the premise just because there is nothing you could do to save your basement from that much water, pump or not.

Touchdown

Sure. But if rain like a leaky roof then it'd be a point of entry that has a similar method. Every situation would be different. Now if you're talking about an environmental flood like a levee break or a tsunamai, then I can't agree with the premise just because there is nothing you could do to save your basement from that much water, pump or not.
That would be an example of vaccine breakthrough, rare and unavoidable.

CTC

There's more to life than... death?

It seems to me that if your choices are (a) play roulette with your health or (b) make the absolute minimum of effort by putting a small piece of cloth over your nose & mouth while in crowds, one of those things is far more preferable, and it's bizarre to me that some people here are so terrified and angered by it.
Could you imagine if this country had to fight WWII again? From what I have seen since March 2020, I am not sure we would be able to do it.

Masks should be the minimum thing that we do until the numbers are low , not coming back up and when a good antiviral is available (molnupiravir?). The anit-viral will work for the anti-vax crowd.

CarolinaSoprano

Wasn’t mayor Demmings request made over a week ago? You would think of Disney was going to require masks again they would have announced it by now. Why wait weeks later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom