News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

I've been reading this thread since its beginning and I would like to thank everyone for their contribution. We have finally reached the day where masks are no longer required at Disney World. It seems the discussion has moved on to making others feel better and wearing a mask while driving instead of paying $9.99 on a new cabin air filter. Again, it's been fun. Thanks for everything.
Disney sequels, anyone?

danv3

Honor system. They have to acknowledge they know the change in policy. Disney will not ask status or require proof.
I wonder why. It's not prohibited by Florida's new law to ask employees about vaccination status, it isn't a HIPAA issue (despite what you sometimes read), and it's been expressly permitted by the EEOC.

I know my employer asked for proof. Those who are vaccinated don't have to wear masks any more. Those who aren't must continue to mask up at all times.

Disney Glimpses

I wonder why. It's not prohibited by Florida's new law to ask employees about vaccination status, it isn't a HIPAA issue (despite what you sometimes read), and it's been expressly permitted by the EEOC.

I know my employer asked for proof. Those who are vaccinated don't have to wear masks any more. Those who aren't must continue to mask up at all times.
This isn't uncommon. Most large companies, including Disney, are asking employees to "self certify" that they are vaccinated to be eligible for certain things (no masks, returning to office, etc); typically done digitally or not in writing at all. In Disney's case, I believe they have to click a button on the portal; but no actual proof is required.

Many of these larger companies (Google, Adobe, for example) are steering clear of even advocating for vaccination; it's just not something they want to be involved in (most likely because they have tens of thousands of employees all with different health situations, beliefs/convictions, etc).

Last edited:

Tom P.

Because Disney does not want their employees masked, vaccinated or not. Same as with their guests. They want the parks to be back to normal, with as few reminders of Covid as possible. The official policies regarding unvaccinated guests masking are simply for legal cover and everyone knows it. Otherwise, they would not be letting little kids, who cannot possibly be vaccinated, run around unmasked.

Like or not, masks are done at Disney. If someone is uncomfortable with that, they shouldn't go, because it's not going to change.

Trauma

At this point with the increased capacity the hiring of staff and the removal of mask requirements I think it will be hard for Disney to put the genie back in the bottle.

As someone who is fully vaccinated I will be canceling my upcoming trip if masks mandates are enforced again.

DisneyCane

you don’t think the masks do anything to lower that 10%?
The question becomes what level of risk reduction is necessary. We could lower the risk of severe injury or death in a car accident by having everybody strapped into a five point harness and wearing a helmet but we have determined that the risk is low enough with a standard seat belt and no helmet. The additional risk reduction isn't worth the discomfort of those additional safety measures.

Now that there are vaccines that are 90% effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections and are even more effective at preventing severe illness or death, the discomfort and lower level of enjoyment of activities from wearing a mask isn't worth whatever the few percent of additional risk reduction is, at least to a large number of people.

TrainsOfDisney

Hey! Are things moving back in the direction where guests over 13 years o age are prohibited from wearing face coverings (for security and safety reasons) with the exemption caveat of "medical reasons" but those "medical reasons" are questioned and scrutinized to ensure they are legit?
Are you bothered by people choosing to wear face masks in public?

*before anyone says anything - of course I’m talking about the face masks we’ve all been wearing during covid and not costume style masks.

JohnD

Are you bothered by people choosing to wear face masks in public?

*before anyone says anything - of course I’m talking about the face masks we’ve all been wearing during covid and not costume style masks.

I’m personally not bothered by anyone choosing to continue wearing masks in public as long as the same people aren’t bothered by my not choosing to wear them.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m personally not bothered by anyone choosing to continue wearing masks in public as long as the same people aren’t bothered by my not choosing to wear them.
I’m not bothered by people choosing not to wear them if that is the policy in place.

I don’t think that should be the policy in places that allow vaccinated and unvaccinated people to gather in groups indoors.

JohnD

I’m not bothered by people choosing not to wear them if that is the policy in place.

I don’t think that should be the policy in places that allow vaccinated and unvaccinated people to gather in groups indoors.

The problem is you’re never going to get 100% compliance. Otherwise, everyone would be wearing masks forever. I could further engage you on the effectiveness of masks but that is another argument for elsewhere. As for me, I know I’ve been vaccinated and won’t be wearing masks, thank you. I should mention I’ll wear a mask if that is their policy as I’ve done previously.

Chi84

Premium Member
The problem is you’re never going to get 100% compliance. Otherwise, everyone would be wearing masks forever. I could further engage you on the effectiveness of masks but that is another argument for elsewhere. As for me, I know I’ve been vaccinated and won’t be wearing masks, thank you. I should mention I’ll wear a mask if that is their policy as I’ve done previously.
I don’t personally understand it, but there are people who say they are not uncomfortable wearing masks and that it does not lessen their enjoyment. People have posted that to them, being made to a mask in public is no different from having to wear pants. So there are people who may not care about wearing masks forever. From what I see and hear outside this forum, though, there probably aren’t too many of them. (Not talking about people who are uncomfortable but wear masks anyway because they believe it’s the right thing to do.)

Jenny72

It's very frustrating that so many people refer to "wearing masks forever." It's just not helpful. If you want to have a more rational conversation, it might be helpful to think about what "forever" really means here. Something like, "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks for almost another full year" or "Or "otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until the WHO declares that they are not necessary." Or "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until children can be vaccinated." It might help to have a clearer discussion if these hyperbolic statements were reconsidered.

I guarantee that very few people are envisioning mask wearing into the year 3000 and beyond.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's very frustrating that so many people refer to "wearing masks forever." It's just not helpful. If you want to have a more rational conversation, it might be helpful to think about what "forever" really means here. Something like, "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks for almost another full year" or "Or "otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until the WHO declares that they are not necessary." Or "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until children can be vaccinated." It might help to have a clearer discussion if these hyperbolic statements were reconsidered.

I guarantee that very few people are envisioning mask wearing into the year 3000 and beyond.
I agree. Or “we’d be wearing them past the time the CDC says they’re necessary.” I don’t think anyone really means “forever” in the literal sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom