Disney Magic - NYC

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
Hey Everyone!

So this morning we bit the bullet and FINALLY booked our first DISNEY CRUISE! How could we say no to crossing that off of my Disney Bucket List when it was leaving from NYC! We don't have to pay for air fare, transfers, hotels, parking...just the cruise! So we are SUPER excited - granted it is a year and half away.

Sooooo....who else booked the Magic heading out of NYC?

Those that have been on Disney Cruises before - what are some tips, hints or your favorite things to do? Also - any special Cruise line eats that are a must?

Last edited:

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
We have stated a facebook group page for those people Cruising on the Magic Departing on Oct 7th, 2016, below is the link if anyone wishes to join the Group :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/445961348918314/

Ohhhh....I have to look for one for people departing on Oct 15, 2016!! :)

I walked by the Magic docked on the Hudson River at 48th st two days ago. I tweeted about it! Have a great cruise!

I'll take pics but won't get on a cruise ship lol. :)

This will be our first cruise...you know aside from the Happiest Little Cruise to Sail! lol If any one of us are scared....we'll find out after we board!! haha!

belledream

CONGRATS!!! I'm leaving on the Magic from FL this year and was like arghh! why couldn't I have gone from NY?! (Granted, we are doing land & sea so it wouldn't have really helped, but still - like you said, how could you not?!)

Make sure you research what port excursions you want to partake in and catch all the Disney shows!

(It's hard to plan exactly what to do on the ship because much is based off of the Navigator schedule that you won't get til you get on board.)

You'll have a nice long cruise leaving from NY so you'll definitely have a good amount of time to do everything on the ship!

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
CONGRATS!!! I'm leaving on the Magic from FL this year and was like arghh! why couldn't I have gone from NY?! (Granted, we are doing land & sea so it wouldn't have really helped, but still - like you said, how could you not?!)

Make sure you research what port excursions you want to partake in and catch all the Disney shows!

(It's hard to plan exactly what to do on the ship because much is based off of the Navigator schedule that you won't get til you get on board.)

You'll have a nice long cruise leaving from NY so you'll definitely have a good amount of time to do everything on the ship!

OMG I am going to go in research overload! lol. I'm actually glad we have so many AT SEA days - it gives us time to really do lot's on the ship! We get one day at Disney World - so a few park hours will be a nice little perk! I looked up some excursions....and one at is a must will be the Sting Rays at Castaway Cay. I'm the only swimmer in the family - so maybe some bike riding will be included in there too!

In the meantime i'll be reading lot's of trip reports and reviews!!! lol

Have a blast on your Cruise!!!

belledream

OMG I am going to go in research overload! lol. I'm actually glad we have so many AT SEA days - it gives us time to really do lot's on the ship! We get one day at Disney World - so a few park hours will be a nice little perk! I looked up some excursions....and one at is a must will be the Sting Rays at Castaway Cay. I'm the only swimmer in the family - so maybe some bike riding will be included in there too!

In the meantime i'll be reading lot's of trip reports and reviews!!! lol

Have a blast on your Cruise!!!
We did the Stingray excursion in 2012! It was pretty cool and it's not entirely a 'swimming' thing. It can also be a 'wading' thing. :p Biking around CC might have been one of my favorite things the entire trip to be honest! Not sure why! It was really freeing.

Thank you! Happy planning! :)

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
We did the Stingray excursion in 2012! It was pretty cool and it's not entirely a 'swimming' thing. It can also be a 'wading' thing. :p Biking around CC might have been one of my favorite things the entire trip to be honest! Not sure why! It was really freeing.

Thank you! Happy planning! :)

That's perfect..."wading" is a doable for my husband...and two boys! By the time we go on this trip my oldest will have JUST turned 9 (5 days before we're set to cruise!) & my youngest will be 3 going on 4. So I am hoping that they'll be a bit more adventurous by then. The biking sounds so much fun!

belledream

That's perfect..."wading" is a doable for my husband...and two boys! By the time we go on this trip my oldest will have JUST turned 9 (5 days before we're set to cruise!) & my youngest will be 3 going on 4. So I am hoping that they'll be a bit more adventurous by then. The biking sounds so much fun!
Aww how perfect! Yup, you gather around an instructor and feed/pet them, then get a little time to wade or swim around an enclosed area of the water with the rays. It's cool!

wogwog

Welcome to my life. In central Florida with five cruise ports to sail from I sail multiple times a year. Best vacation ever. Disney is the best all around IMO with or without kids. You will find your favorite things to do by research but a few of my favorite things newbies do not always discover are Palo Brunch, Jack Jack's Diaper Dash, and the open house in the children's area even if you do not sail with kids. Be sure to ask when the Princess Gatherings will take place and watch from an upper deck in the Atrium even if you have no kids with you. If you have a Princes in the family be sure to get a ticket to take her. A show in itself.

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
@wogwog Palo is a MUST! My husband isn't sold on it YET...I still have over a year to convince him! lol

Yeah the open house for the Kids clubs are a must since we will have our two boys with us. They will be 9 and 3.5 at the time of sailing. I'm happy they get to be in the same club together.

I already want to see the Princess Gathering....but I'll probably be alone for that :) We also just heard they are opening a Bippoty Boppity Boutique on board the Magic - and on Pirate night they will be doing the Pirate League which will be perfect for my boys!

JeffnPa

We are booked to set sail Oct 22, 2016. Such a great location for us, we live in Pa and are taking the train to nyc the day before. We are celebrating two birthdays this cruise, my son turns 8 and mine (48) this will be our 2nd Disney cruise

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
We are booked to set sail Oct 22, 2016. Such a great location for us, we live in Pa and are taking the train to nyc the day before. We are celebrating two birthdays this cruise, my son turns 8 and mine (48) this will be our 2nd Disney cruise

We are doing the 10/15. We also have a bday! My older sons bday is 10/10 so this is gonna be one great Bday Gift!! We live in queens, so were literally a 15 min drive from Port. Since it's a Saturday i'll make sure my mom drops us off a bit early. Even though were a borough away - traffic sucks sometimes, so even if we hang around the pier for a bit before we can board I won't mind.

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
What is everybody planning on their Disney Day?

We do Disney every year....we probably won't make it out there from now till the Cruise so we will be SUPER excited to Spend one day at the parks and plan on making the MOST of that day. We hope to get off the ship as early as we can...and head to EPCOT first and do Test Track and Soarin' and of course SSE! We will TRY to make one stop at the World Showcase and visit Japan (My husband and kids favorite) After we will head to DHS - and I will be planning my FP for this park. Star Tours, Toys Story Midway Mania, and Tower of Terror, once were done there we will head to MK and stay there as late as we can. Once we get in the park we'll grab whatever Fast Passes we can...and leave as late as we can!! It will be a totally exhausting day, but we can totally do it! We've hit three parks in one day before...so we are up for the challenge.

What are some of your Must Do's?

Brian & Jill

my wife and I are thinking about doing one of the cruises that leave out of NYC. We were wondering if your park tickets are included in your cruise fare and are there any hotels close to the cruise terminal? Congrats on it being your first Disney cruise!!!! You guys will have so much fun!!!!!

Nastory4

We are doing the 10/15. We also have a bday! My older sons bday is 10/10 so this is gonna be one great Bday Gift!! We live in queens, so were literally a 15 min drive from Port. Since it's a Saturday i'll make sure my mom drops us off a bit early. Even though were a borough away - traffic sucks sometimes, so even if we hang around the pier for a bit before we can board I won't mind.
My family is going on the Cruise to Canada on Oct 2, 2016. Very excited. We have excursions booked for the 2 days at port; hope I made good decisions. We are bringing my Mother-in-law so I wanted to take a tour that allows portable wheelchairs but still fun for the kids. Have a great time!

Phonedave

my wife and I are thinking about doing one of the cruises that leave out of NYC. We were wondering if your park tickets are included in your cruise fare and are there any hotels close to the cruise terminal? Congrats on it being your first Disney cruise!!!! You guys will have so much fun!!!!!

Do you mean hotels near the NYC Port? There are plenty, but I would suggest looking across the river in NJ. Much cheaper than trying to stay in Manhattan, and a car service will have you to the port in no time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom