Disney Live-Action* Remakes**

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
*It's not really live-action if its CGI.
**It's not really a remake when it's a prequel (Cruella) or a sequel (102 Dalmations) or a 'reimagining' (Maleficent)

Anyhoo... some data:

1690211337721.png

Keep in mind:
  • The Rotten Tomatoes 'tomatometer' score is just a thumbs up or down (recommend see or not see).
  • The critics score is combined RT and Metacritic critics ratings.
  • The audience score is combined RT and IMBD ratings. The IMDB score is harder to 'bomb' since they often get hundreds of thousands of reviewers.
  • We don't know how much the films made which went to Disney+ as an extra "premier" fee.
  • The "profit" is using the Hollywood 'rule of thumb' of adding in an extra 50% of the budget for advertising and assuming the theaters take a 50% cut of the Box Office by the time the movie leaves the theaters.

Of note: The box office returns and ratings for "live-action remakes" is higher than all of Disney Studios Live Action movies combined. So... it's no wonder Disney keeps coming back to this well.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Of note: The box office returns and ratings for "live-action remakes" is higher than all of Disney Studios Live Action movies combined. So... it's no wonder Disney keeps coming back to this well.
We all pretty well know that. It's why so many people are rooting for them to fail. As long as they're making money, Disney will keep pumping them out.

I will say I didn't remember Pete's dragon doing almost a billion. There's a whole lot of mediocre to bad in that list.

Ghost93

I did a spit take to that comment...

No no... Pete's Dragon did ~140 million.

That film hurt me. Physically.
I liked the remake of Pete's Dragon because it felt more like an original movie than a remake. It has almost nothing in common with the 1977 original other than there being a green dragon named Elliot and a boy named Pete.

Phroobar

I liked the remake of Pete's Dragon because it felt more like an original movie than a remake. It has almost nothing in common with the 1977 original other than there being a green dragon named Elliot and a boy named Pete.
The original Pete's Dragon was really hokey. The remake was an improvement.
"A dragon! A dragon! A swear I saw a dragon!"

Ghost93

The original Pete's Dragon was really hokey. The remake was an improvement.
"A dragon! A dragon! A swear I saw a dragon!"
I didn't grow up with the 1977 version of Pete's Dragon. I saw it in 2020 during the early days of COVID. I enjoyed it, but it was more of an ironic enjoyment as I thought it was kind of awful. The acting was SO over-the-top that it almost felt like a mocking parody of musicals from the 50s and 60s. But it did make me smile.

Casper Gutman

*It's not really live-action if its CGI.
**It's not really a remake when it's a prequel (Cruella) or a sequel (102 Dalmations) or a 'reimagining' (Maleficent)

Anyhoo... some data:

View attachment 718427

Keep in mind:
  • The Rotten Tomatoes 'tomatometer' score is just a thumbs up or down (recommend see or not see).
  • The critics score is combined RT and Metacritic critics ratings.
  • The audience score is combined RT and IMBD ratings. The IMDB score is harder to 'bomb' since they often get hundreds of thousands of reviewers.
  • We don't know how much the films made which went to Disney+ as an extra "premier" fee.
  • The "profit" is using the Hollywood 'rule of thumb' of adding in an extra 50% of the budget for advertising and assuming the theaters take a 50% cut of the Box Office by the time the movie leaves the theaters.

It's an excellent point that these aren't really "live action" remakes - they're just "much-less-imaginatively-animated" remakes. After Mermaid, I really want to see them start to flop.

mf1972

they blew $150 mil on pinocchio? that was hands down the worst of the live action remakes. i thought i heard they’re developing hercules. i always got a kick out the that one. for now, i’m looking forward to it.

DonaldDoleWhip

The Little Mermaid's RT score might still fluctuate, but seeing it fare worse than Beauty and the Beast with critics is proof of fatigue if I've ever seen it.

That movie was so lackluster, with the highlights literally being the trailer and the bona fide opera star.

Seriously, watching that trailer again, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by the disparity between a film's marketing and what we got.

TLM almost suffers from the opposite problem - it's better than what the trailers gave us, and I'm grateful they allowed us to uncover some pleasant surprises in the film.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
they blew $150 mil on pinocchio? that was hands down the worst of the live action remakes. i thought i heard they’re developing hercules. i always got a kick out the that one. for now, i’m looking forward to it.
It was indeed awful (says this shill).

They're gonna develop every popular animation feature, especially the musicals, since they also work as live theater productions.

Phroobar

I didn't grow up with the 1977 version of Pete's Dragon. I saw it in 2020 during the early days of COVID. I enjoyed it, but it was more of an ironic enjoyment as I thought it was kind of awful. The acting was SO over-the-top that it almost felt like a mocking parody of musicals from the 50s and 60s. But it did make me smile.
Pete's Dragon in '77 was kind of a big thing. Disneyland had the Electrical Parade float. A lot of Disney's live action stuff back then was over the top like the later Herbie movies. The Disney brand was very much a little kids brand. They tried to get away from that in the 80s.

erasure fan1

Everyone's doin' it!!

That's really not a big surprise. It's low hanging fruit for not just Disney, but every studio. Especially when other studios see that giant turds like Lion king and Aladdin made bank. The real question will be what the budget ends up. Will they need 250mil like Disney? Something tells me no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom