Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman Dies at 95

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman, half of the Academy Award®-winning songwriting team of the Sherman Brothers (with his late brother, Disney Legend Robert B. Sherman), passed away Saturday, May 25, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, due to age-related illness. He was 95 years old. One of the most prolific composer-lyricists in the history of family entertainment, and a key member of Walt Disney’s inner circle of creative talents, Richard garnered nine Academy Award nominations (winning two Oscars® for his work on the 1964 classic Mary Poppins), won three GRAMMY® Awards, and received 24 gold and platinum albums over the course of his 65 year career. His career ran the gamut from the early days of rock n’ roll (with such hits as “You’re Sixteen”) and television to Broadway and Hollywood.

Generations of moviegoers and theme park guests have been introduced to the world of Disney through the Sherman brothers’ magnificent and timeless songs. Even today, the duo’s work remains the quintessential lyrical voice of Walt Disney. The Sherman brothers were perhaps best known for their work on Mary Poppins (1964), for which they won two Oscars: Best Score – Substantially Original and Best Original Song for “Chim Chim Cher-ee.” Another cherished song from the film, “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” became a pop hit, entering the Billboard Hot 100 in 1965, while the lullaby “Feed the Birds” became one of Walt’s favorite songs—ever.

“Richard Sherman was the embodiment of what it means to be a Disney Legend, creating along with his brother Robert the beloved classics that have become a cherished part of the soundtrack of our lives,” said Bob Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “From films like Mary Poppins and The Jungle Book to attractions like ‘it’s a small world,’ the music of the Sherman Brothers has captured the hearts of generations of audiences. We are forever grateful for the mark Richard left on the world, and we extend our deepest condolences to his family.”

Read the full post from The Walt Disney Company at the link below.

SplashJacket

Rest in peace to an all time legend in media history.

Even though his time has come to an end, his work will continue to enthrall, energize, and entertain. He was a master and his craft reflected that. It’s the end of an era, but I’m certain his work that brought so much joy to all of us will continue its journey lightening the world for generations to come and long after all of us are gone.

Last edited:

TP2000

There will never be another one like he and his brother. Thank goodness Walt had the smarts to use their talent and skill, and that subsequent Disney execs kept them on the payroll long after Walt.

I'll have to play a favorite Sherman Bros. song later this weekend (but which one of dozens to choose from?!?) and raise a glass to a life well lived!

brb1006

Highly recommend checking out "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story" from 2009 which can be viewed on Disney+. The section where Richard starts choking up when reading his father's message for the first time made when he was younger choked me up.

Last edited:

Earlie the Pearlie

So devastating.
So many amazing songs, over such a long life. As you can probably tell from my profile, I’m a huge fan of their work; but who isn’t?
I’m happy that he at least got to play Feed the Birds for Once Upon a Studio. I’m imagining him somewhere now, with his brother, as Walt berates him for taking so long and insists on hearing them play his favorite for him again.
May he rest in peace.

And Alan Menken better hold on for a long time.

brb1006

I'm so glad he lived long enough to work on the "Once Upon A Studio" short film which honored Disney's 100th Anniversary. That short is also the final time he ever worked on Disney Project since he recorded a new rendition of "Feed The Birds" when Mickey is talking to Walt.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1716820112175.png

Walt Disney1955

Read the full post from The Walt Disney Company at the link below.

I tried opening a thread on this on the WDW parks board but they deleted it. Is this seriously the only thread we have on Richard Sherman dying of all people? A Disney legend dies and we have a thread with 10 measly replies to it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I tried opening a thread on this on the WDW parks board but they deleted it. Is this seriously the only thread we have on Richard Sherman dying of all people? A Disney legend dies and we have a thread with 10 measly replies to it?
Have you tried using the forum's search function...

1716850258047.png

You'd then find that there's two threads (which, we really only need one). And one of them is in the WDW Parks Board already.

If you missed it, it could be because you had the OP on ignore.

1716850446108.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom