Disney Legend Glynis Johns (Mrs. Banks in "Mary Poppins") Dies at 100

Brian

Original Poster
1704402362879.png

Legendary actress Glynis Johns, most known for her role as Mrs. Winifred Banks in the 1964 film "Mary Poppins" has died. She was 100.

Her manager Mitch Clem told Eyewitness News she died Thursday from natural causes.

About a decade before Johns took on the role of the suffragette mother in the classic "Mary Poppins," she was featured in another Disney movie, "The Sword and the Rose."

She was named a Disney legend in 1998 and had been the oldest living legend until her passing. She was also the oldest living Oscar nominee for acting.

She got her nomination for 1960's "The Sundowners." She also won a Tony award for "A Little Night Music," in which she famously sang the Stephen Sondheim song "Send in the Clowns."

In an interview with ABC7's George Pennacchio celebrating her 100th birthday, Johns looked back at the role.

"I got applause for that. I loved doing it. I felt it," she said.

Johns spent decades working in movies. Her final roles were in "While You Were Sleeping" and "Superstar."

The Walt Disney Co. is the parent company of this station.

TP2000

Too bad it and Rob Roy, also starring her, are not on Disney+

I just ordered a Rob Roy two nights ago at dinner, because the weather finally turned cold enough to warrant it.

I had forgotten that was also a Disney movie. Which brings me back to the mess that is Disney+. Burbank is sitting on a treasure trove of stuff in the vault that us Disney nerds would love to watch, and they refuse to release them or acknowledge them. And then they wonder why not enough people are subscribing to Disney+ (I'm not, so there's one!) and why Disney+ keeps losing hundreds of millions of dollars every 90 days. Fiscal year after fiscal year.

The offices on the Burbank studio lot are full of idiots, that's the only explanation.

P.S. Let me try to spell it this way... Dick Van Dike. It worked!

In related news, Dinah Shore Weekend is September 21st-23rd this year in Palm Springs.

Magenta Panther

Sorry to read about Glynis Johns. She was great in Mary Poppins - well, everyone was great in that film (and that includes DVD and his attempt at a Cockney accent. I didn't care about that as a kid, and I don't care about it now). She added a sparkle and a warmth that made Mrs. Banks endearing, instead of merely silly. I'm so happy she managed to stay with us so long. 100 years old - that in itself is a laudable feat.

Goodbye, Glynis. Bet there's some excellent kite-flying weather in heaven. Well done, Sister Suffragette!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom