Disney IS Hireing. Currenty rates of pay enclosed.

pluto77

OmegaKnight said:
Full time CM's can work a maximum of 40 hours a week while part timers can work a maximum of 24 hours a week. I work 5 days a week and am full time so on average, my shifts are between 7-8 hours long. No one ever gets their full allotment of hours per week, except with those with the most seniority (i.e., those who have been with the company the longest.)
There were a lot of exceptions at Casey's. I knew two part time CMs that were getting almost 40 hours for a couple months. One of them was always trying to move up to full-time, they never let him move up, but they still gave him 5 days a week with almost 40 hours. CPs must be different, but as a CP I probably had 6 days most of the time (which didn't make any sense because sometimes they were only 6 hour shifts, but then they would have to pay be overtime for the 6th day) and during the month of May I had 60-70 hours a week. I also had a lot of 10 hour days even during the slow time of year. I knew this one full time CM that always wanted 70 hours and that's what they gave him (one week they only gave him like 50 he was taking shifts from all the CPs that didn't want to work :lol: he was freaking out that he only had 50 hours though).

You're right though, that's what's supposed to happen. We were actually surprised because they told us CPs that we would be getting 35-45 hours every weeks, but there were tons of weeks where we were over 45, and a few when we were under 35. It was weird sometimes, sometimes I had like 30 hours, and yet there was always one 12 hour day, I guess they didn't mind paying overtime. Sorry, I kind of drifted off topic, I just wanted to say that when I was a CP at Casey's those rules didn't seem to apply most of the time.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The rate of pay and seniority of CMs fluctuates so vastly that often Disney doesn't see a difference in paying a lower-end CM overtime, or atleast doesn't think it's a big deal.

For example, and the sake of rounder numbers, a CP makes $6 an hour. Disney then throws an event and has an area no one is "trained" in, and just needs CMs to act as human guidemaps. They try to fill it with CP's and even with overtime they get paid $6-9, while if they put it up for extra hours hotline, it'd end up being flat time at $12 for a senior attractions host, $14 overtime for an o/t host, or even $18 overtime for an attractions host.

Double-time is what Disney tries to avoid, but during peak periods, like Christmas-New Years, they often forgo their usual rules to avoid it and give CM's entire 8-12 hour shifts of double time. Two ways to get double-time: Working a shift less than 8 hours apart (Closing at 1am, being back at 7am the same day) or working an overtime shift over your regular-time hours, 8hrs for a part timer, 10hours for a full time. So, with a 6th day overtime shift of 10 hours, a part-timer makes 2 hours of double time and 6 hours of overtime.

So, as you walk down mainstreet, the smiling CM's are making anywhere from $6 to $20 just to stand there - try to figure out which one is smiling brighter and why.

coasterphil

You guys act so surprised by the wages, but its inline with every other park in the country. Just because its Disney doesn't mean they are going to get paid any more.

General Grizz

CPers make about $6.20 these days, and the program greatly increasing. Good for those Cast Members who serve the job well, but overall, well, there's some trouble at the various attractions (when many students decide not to show up to work or fail to do the job well). This doesn't represent the entire community, but a large portion.

Several members of the cast have attributed the increased demand in CP, international, and seasonal roles (which, like outsourcing, doesn't require an increase in wages as new hires are constantly brought back each term) are in place to reduce the amount spent on full timers. CP, international, and seasonal roles are all great, and I support each one -- they just shouldn't be set out to displace other roles. Question is: is this really the motive? I don't know, but it wouldn't be that surprising.

"You don't go to Disney to make a living anymore," said one ex full-timer. Economical? Yeah, but it hasn't been nice to some really great Cast Members. The company's pretty unstable, but this is much worse in the creative departments (as we've seen in animation and WDI).

In short, those working for Disney and keeping the spirit alive deserve - and have received - our support. :)

dreamflightjake

Pay stinks but alot of fun!

I am from Louisiana but moved to Florida for two years to work for Disney, which is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I had free room and board, I lived with my bro-in-law Jamie, which some of you may know as the bagpipe player in Off Kilter. The pay really does stink but I had the greatest time of my life. I was so happy with my job, and actually looked forward to going to work. I cannot say that about any other job I've ever had. I worked at The Haunted Mansion and Kilimanjaro Safaris and loved both. I got to meet quite a bit of celebrities and got to mess and joke with people all day. Truly a dream job and in the long run, the money wasn't that important, the experience and fun I had was enough of a compensation for me.

maconMouse

I too was very surprised by the starting pay wages. However, I'm curious to know how CMs who do an outstanding job get rewarded and/or how soon they get pay raises.

I got back recently from a trip to WDW, and emailed Guest Communications some names and comments on certain cast members who really made my trip extra magical and went beyond the call of duty. I was pleasantly surprised to get a personal phone call back from them thanking me for recognizing them, and assuring me their managers would be notified of their outstanding performance. Do comments like these go toward improving those CM's pay? I hope so.

WDWKat26

maconMouse said:
I too was very surprised by the starting pay wages. However, I'm curious to know how CMs who do an outstanding job get rewarded and/or how soon they get pay raises.

I got back recently from a trip to WDW, and emailed Guest Communications some names and comments on certain cast members who really made my trip extra magical and went beyond the call of duty. I was pleasantly surprised to get a personal phone call back from them thanking me for recognizing them, and assuring me their managers would be notified of their outstanding performance. Do comments like these go toward improving those CM's pay? I hope so.

Unfortunately, their pay will not increase. But I know the letter will be put into the Cast Member's File for future reference. You did what more guests need to do when they have a positive experience, a lot of times a cast member will go out of their way and not get recognized for it. But the CM will also get a Guest Service Fanatic form which is always good to get!

wannabeBelle

dreamflightjake said:
I am from Louisiana but moved to Florida for two years to work for Disney, which is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I had free room and board, I lived with my bro-in-law Jamie, which some of you may know as the bagpipe player in Off Kilter. The pay really does stink but I had the greatest time of my life. I was so happy with my job, and actually looked forward to going to work. I cannot say that about any other job I've ever had. I worked at The Haunted Mansion and Kilimanjaro Safaris and loved both. I got to meet quite a bit of celebrities and got to mess and joke with people all day. Truly a dream job and in the long run, the money wasn't that important, the experience and fun I had was enough of a compensation for me.
That is great that you got to work for Disney and yes, your brother in law is wonderful guy!! Belle

Sapphire

WDWKat26 said:
But the CM will also get a Guest Service Fanatic form which is always good to get!

I personally never thought the Guest Service Fanatic cards were that great. Basically it's a 3x5 card that says what you did, and who issued the card. It used to go on you record (for some reason I dont think they do anymore...I can recall people getting fired after turning in a Fanatic card before record cards were kept track by computer. If a persons record card was neglected, which is easy to do in large depts., when the record card was accessed ,because of notating the Fanatic card, and if there were too many lates or call in's, for example, that went unnoticed, they would turn around and fire them. As a result, people stopped turning in the cards) But I digress...

When you recieve the card you can place it in a box. Everyone in your park who recieves one turns them into the same boxes where at the end of the month they are all dumped together and 5 are drawn out. Those 5 win prizes. The prizes used to be really good. From TV's to DVD players, to weekend stays at one of the hotels plus dinner. Last I knew, they were giving away pin sets, a watch, and $50 Disney dollars. Quite a drop on quality there. Plus if you add up ALL the CM's who work in each park and only FIVE really get any recognition...IMHO a guest service fanatic card really isnt such a great thing to get.

Aaaaaaaaaand STEP off the soap box :lookaroun :eek:

WDWKat26

Sapphire said:
Aaaaaaaaaand STEP off the soap box :lookaroun :eek:

:lol: no stay on!

I somewhat agree with you on the whole GSF card, but when I got my first one I was happy, especially since it seems like they're given out like candy on halloween in Entertainment and I only have one :(

hthbellhop

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
Hthbellhop, I really want to do the college program next year, how does it all work? how can you apply...and what is the living situation like? Any information on all this would be greatly appreciated. Ive had my eyes on American Vybe for a while.... :rolleyes:

Check out wdwcollegeprogram.com
That should answer a lot of questions for you :)

Sapphire

WDWKat26 said:
:lol: no stay on!

I somewhat agree with you on the whole GSF card, but when I got my first one I was happy, especially since it seems like they're given out like candy on halloween in Entertainment and I only have one :(

Yeah, it seemed to me as if handing out GSF cards became a mindless action. Managers would walk up and casually hand a card to CM's..."here ya go" and then walk away. "Uh....thanks??" Or even worse, leave them tacked to a bulletin board. GSM cards may seem like a good idea when discussed in a meeting but they have become a thoughtless, ungratifying method of showing appreciation.

Please dont get me wrong...I LOVE "Disney"....I love the brand. I love the films, the parks and resorts...That's why I wanted to work there, to be apart of that. I started in '94, and things changed dramatically over my time there. Changes in policies, methods and management. I know that I dont need to explain all that, because Im sure, in most cases, I'd be "preaching to the choir"...and Im also sure that it has been discussed at length on various threads. Plus, if you have been with the Company for less than 7 -8 years or so, then you may not feel as strongly about the differences as say someone who was there in "the good ol days".

The Disney experience as a Guest is like no other! I spent last weekend at DLR, and was WOW-ed. I had to get away from the company to fully appreciate it again. Although I will choose not to work there again, I will definitely be a Guest.

*WOW after that, I'll have to bronze that soap box*
Instead of giving my two cents... here... take this dollar and keep the change :D

its_my_friday

The GSF do actually go on people's record cards. However, I am unaware of how they affect it. I know that it is somewhat more helpful for merchandise CM's, but I'm not sure how it would affect others. They have really become less used and sometimes I think managers forget about them. CM's can actually give them to each other, which is a lesser known fact. They just have to be signed off by a manager.

Zanitta

When working at the disney store in the UK there was a policy that if you got X amount of letters from a guest you got a pin for your name badge or shirt, then depending on how many you aquired would depend which pin you got, every time you reached a certain point you got a different pin. They were difficult to get though as people rarely write letters in, don't they do anyting like that in the parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom