Disney is Fighting Back

Pat X

Original Poster
Ok...I am going to post a few news articles on this thread that should give us all a little hope for now. Looks like Disney will fighting this! Check out these articles.....

A merger could be disasterous! Talks about how some institutional investors aren't so keen on this merger....exp. AOL/TIME WARNER was a big flop!
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040212/column_mergers_1.html

Disney Mounts a Counterattack!
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040212/1931001367_2.html

Disney is fine going it alone. "Chief Executive Michael Eisner indicated to investors that his company doesn't see a need to accept the cable giant's takeover offer."
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040212/1934001368_3.html

FigmentJedi

Why does Eisner think he can wield the NEWSPAPER OF JUSTICE and whack Comcast saying "Bad Comcast! Bad!"
I thought the NEWSPAPER OF JUSTICE was in the hands of Roy and Stan who've been whacking Eisner with it for almost 3 months now. But seriously, I think Comcast could do something good and turn things around if their ideas were used, but Disney would still be independent. :lookaroun we need a NEWSPAPER OF JUSTICE smilely.

tigsmom

Originally posted by General Grizz
Cross your fingers. Keep Eisner for NOW over Comcast, but bring in new management with Disney INDEPENDENT.

This is a necessity.

I wholeheartedly agree, Grizz. Disney should remain independent. (and bring back Roy.)

Pat X

Original Poster
I don't mean to overun this site with articles, but perhaps you'll find this info. useful...If this gets annoying, please let me know.

Anyways, here's another article from Forbes: A link is posted after this quote that ends the article:

"The basic data shows that Roberts [Comcast] is more of an acquirer than a manager, and his record of managing assets he knows well is far from magical."

http://www.forbes.com/management/2004/02/13/cx_da_0213topnews.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

cherrynegra

Well, I see two possiblities here. The investors might want Disney to consider Comcast's deal, (there are already lawsuits against Disney filed by investors to get them to consider it), they go along with the deal but with more money added to the pot. Eisner exits.

Or, this could help Eisner out in the sense that everyone is going to develop the whole raise the drawbridge mentality and fight. Whereas the deal won't go through and Disney remains independent. However, I see the shares dropping a bit in value again. Opposite effect of the shares rising on the news of takeover bid. And then Eisner stays untill 2006.

Or, I may not know anything that amounts to a hill of beans and Lord only knows where we'll be a year from now. :lol: Definitely makes you wonder what's around the bend.

Pat X

Original Poster
This next article just speculates on what Disney may do to fight off Comast...and that includes bidding for Comcast!

Would Disney bid for Comcast?
Some observers expect aggressive tactics from Eisner

By Jon Friedman, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 12:28 PM ET Feb. 13, 2004

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Wall Street has hit on a surefire way for Walt Disney to fight Comcast's stunning $66 billion hostile takeover offer: Turn the tables.

Investors have speculated that Disney might seek to find a "white knight" -- a suitor of its own choosing -- to thwart its foe and regain control of its own destiny.

"It's a possibility that investors need to consider because the white knight might be themselves," Angela Kohler, the global media analyst at Federated Investors in Pittsburgh.

"Disney is going to consider every option," Kohler said.

Disney Chairman Michael Eisner has said his company, whose assets include ESPN, ABC, movie divisions and a slew of theme parks, will carefully consider the Comcast bid.

More likely, Eisner will explore every possibility to keep independent the company he has led for two decades.

Eisner's desire to keep Disney independent is well-known. Immediately after America Online and Time Warner announced their plans to merge in January 2000 -- a deal that came on the heels of Viacom's move to buy CBS, introducing a wave of merger mania in the media business -- Eisner went on record as saying that Disney would remain independent.

Money managers suggest that Eisner is so eager to thwart Comcast that he would entertain extraordinary tactics -- perhaps even employing the "scorched earth" strategy of damaging valuable property that the other side would have hoped to seize.

"Is it possible that they would do a reverse on Comcast? Of course, it's possible," said Michael Holland, president of New York money management firm Holland & Co.

"The price that Disney would have to pay [to acquire Comcast] would be outrageously high," Holland said. "The shareholders would launch a massive revolt if they thought the management of Disney was doing something at the transparent expense of the shareholders.

edandjulie

Disney has been through this before

I think that everyone is forgetting that Disney has been through the hostile take over waters many times before. During the 80's Disney was also in trouble and was facing threat after threat from Wall Street to buy it up and hack it up into many pieces. They thwarted off all the attempts and still are independent. I don't think Comcast will be any different.

Pat X

Original Poster
I sure hope you are right. I am happy to see that one, Eisner appears willing to fight this and institutional investors aren't all gung-ho for this at all.

BTW, I see that you're from Bucks County? I used to live in Newtown! :p

cherrynegra

Re: Disney has been through this before

Originally posted by edandjulie
I think that everyone is forgetting that Disney has been through the hostile take over waters many times before. During the 80's Disney was also in trouble and was facing threat after threat from Wall Street to buy it up and hack it up into many pieces. They thwarted off all the attempts and still are independent. I don't think Comcast will be any different.

Yes, but isn't it ironic that during that takeover attempt in the '80s is when Eisner was brought in to save the company?? This just might be a repeat of '84 and I wonder who we'll get.

brisem

I hope that that Eisner squashes this attempted.

Once he does, maybe this is the wake up call for him. This will re-engergize him. He faced this before and won.

TnkrBelPixiDust

Okay this is what I think & Im sure that a lot of you agree with me and im sure that its been on here a million and one times. I think that #1 Eisner is just in it for the $$$MONEY$$$!!!!! I mean I really dont know to much about business but from what I have heard time & time again thats what Eisner is all about. The whole comcast thingy.. it's bad.. REALLY bad! My mom said that Comcast produces "Adult Films"! Does Disney really want to be affiliated with this? Who knows anymore. All we can do is hope and pray that Disney sticks to their guns and doesnt give in!

Pat X

Original Poster
I don't know if Comcast produces adult films, but they at least distribute them!

Regardless what you think of Eisner, I think we should be thankful that he is willing to fight to keep Disney independent and not just sell it off.

Maybe another "white knight" can be found to help. Many news articles have mentioned how Disney has retained various investment firms (Goldman Sachs) and takeover defense lawyers to help them beat back Comcast. It will be ironic if Eisner is the one that "Saves Disney" Not Roy or Stan.

Anyways, I realize a lot of you don't like Eisner, but if your goal is to keep Disney from being swallowed up, I think what you need to do is suck it up and support him through the March 3rd meeting, show that Shareholders support him, and then maybe after the enemy is beaten back, then look at replacing him, but in a way that is done behind closed doors so as to not attract any more take over bids...as Roy and Stans plan seems to have done....

I'm not a business expert by any means, those are just some of my thoughts. I just don't want to see the WDC eaten up. I can hardly think about anything else!!! Sorry for the long post!

:dazzle:

TnkrBelPixiDust

Originally posted by Pat X
I don't know if Comcast produces adult films, but they at least distribute them!
:veryconfu :veryconfu Sorry my bad :brick: . I must have misunderstood my mom... but I do know that they have something to do with adult films wether its distrubting them or not its still not somthing I think Disney should be apart of.

Pat X

Original Poster
Here's another interesting article showing that Disney is at least not going down without a fight! From today's (2/14) LA Times

Lawyer of 'Poison Pill' Fame Joins the Fray
By enlisting Martin Lipton, who crafted the merger defense, Disney shows it's ready to fight.

By Walter Hamilton, Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — The man who perfected the art of battling hostile takeovers faces one of his biggest challenges in helping Walt Disney Co. fend off Comcast Corp.

In hiring Martin Lipton, 72, Disney not only has recruited the country's preeminent mergers-and-acquisitions defense lawyer, but it also has sent the message that it will fight hard against Comcast's unsolicited bid.

"It's a clear signal to Comcast that, 'We're going for the big guy and we're going to fight,' " said John F. Olson, a partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in Washington who has known Lipton for years.

Lipton is best known for crafting the so-called "poison pill," an anti-takeover strategy that was popular in the debt-soaked merger binge of the late-1980s, when leveraged buyouts gave small and sometimes financially shaky companies the ability to pounce on more-established rivals.

Poison pills try to dissuade unwanted suitors by making mergers prohibitively expensive. For example, a pill could require a company to pay a "super" dividend, thus pushing up the price a potential acquirer would have to shell out.

The prominence of poison pills has receded in recent years, in part because many late-1990s deals were friendly and in part because poison pills were criticized as sheltering entrenched managements at the expense of shareholders. (Disney does not have a poison pill.)

Lipton, who co-founded his New York firm, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, has remained an gray eminence of the corporate world. His firm has been a key advisor to scores of companies and Lipton has become a consigliere of sorts to some top executives.

Friends and legal associates describe him as quietly effective, particularly when it comes to mergers and acquisitions. They say Lipton commands attention through a calm demeanor and the dint of intellect.

"He's not contentious in the way that many lawyers are, especially in the world of M&A," said Stephen Gillers, a law professor at New York University, where Lipton is chairman of the school's board of trustees.

Lipton did not return a phone call seeking comment Friday.

For Lipton, representing Disney may hold particular appeal.

Lipton took a rare public relations bruising during the furor at the New York Stock Exchange over former Chairman Richard Grasso's outsize pay package.

It was revealed that Lipton dispensed legal guidance to Grasso even though he was a formal advisor to the exchange. Some critics saw that as a conflict of interest.

The criticism was a slap for Lipton, whose reputation had been that of a defender of firms against corporate raiders.

Lipton is thought to be one of New York's best-paid lawyers, and his clients include some of Wall Street's top players.

Lipton's clientele includes Felix Rohatyn, the longtime investment banker who is advising Disney. Lipton also advised Sanford I. Weill, the former chief of Citigroup Inc., during that company's involvement in a stock-analyst furor.

almost50

Disney Board Rejects bid!!

Just read this on Yahoo Financial news:

The Board of Directors of The Walt Disney Company today unanimously rejected the proposal by Comcast Corporation to acquire Disney by trading .78 of a share of Comcast for each share of Disney. The Board noted that .78 of a share of Comcast is selling in the market for $3.60 less than the market price of a share of Disney. This deficit of value in the Comcast proposal has existed from the very first day after Comcast announced it, when the deficit was $3.24 per Disney share or a total of $6.6 billion.

The Board stated, "We are committed to creating shareholder value now and in the future and will carefully consider any legitimate proposal that would accomplish that objective. In any proposal by Comcast, or any other company, the Board will consider and assess the value to be received in exchange for the shares of Disney, and also the appropriate premium to reflect the full value of Disney. The Board has confidence in the business, financial and creative direction of Disney under the leadership of Michael Eisner and his management team. Furthermore, the Board expects the company's current structure and strategy will maximize shareholder value. The interests of Disney shareholders, which represent the fundamental priority of the Board, would not be served by accepting any acquisition proposal that does not reflect fully Disney's intrinsic value and earnings prospects."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom