Disney Insists on Train Stop

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney Insists on Train Stop
The largest taxpayer in Orange County wants a say in how the highspeed rail will work.
By JEAN HELLER

Dec 17, 2002

(ST. PETERSBURG TIMES/LAKELAND LEDGER) --

It should be a perfect match.

The state plans a bullet train that needs riders and money.

Walt Disney World ferries 2.2-million visitors a year to and from Orlando International Airport. Disney is willing to put all those people on the high-speed train.

But there's a catch.

It will happen, Disney officials say, only if the train travels nonstop between their complex and the airport, effectively bypassing Orange County's huge convention center and Disney's largest theme park competitors.

If the train stops to serve attractions along International Drive, including Universal Studios and Sea World, Disney has told state officials to forget about putting a station anywhere near Mickey's front door.

If Disney opts out, the high-speed train meant to link Orlando with the Tampa Bay area and eventually connect the state's five largest metropolitan areas, would bypass completely the largest single entertainment complex in the world and lose those 2.2million riders.

"They don't want people from their park to get on the train and go to other attractions, and the way they're going to do that is to make sure that the train doesn't go to other attractions," said Miami consultant William Dunn, a member of the state's High Speed Rail Authority board.

"I think they're going to succeed. I don't see anyone who's going to stop them."

Against all predictions, Florida voters approved a high-speed rail system as an amendment to the state Constitution in 2000. The mandate is to begin construction by November 2003.

The first leg -- estimated to cost about $1.3-billion -- would tether the Tampa Bay area and Orlando over the Interstate 4 corridor. While it will be enormously expensive to extend the Tampa end of the rail line over the water to Pinellas County, that is what the enabling legislation calls for.

The Tampa-St. Petersburg link was expected to be the most serious problem faced during design of the first leg. Then the route controversy developed in Orlando.

"It's the biggest game of poker in town right now," said Christine Kefauver, the Orange County Commission's director of transportation.

"You should connect the public airport to a public convention center and not bypass a public facility for the benefit of a private organization. It's just a really sticky situation."

Disney has never been shy about throwing its weight around.

As the largest property taxpayer in Orange County, Disney interests expect their voices to be heard on major local issues.

In this case, Disney officials say they are the ones listening.

"We're obsessed with getting feedback from our guests, and they tell us they want a direct connection to the airport," said Marilyn Waters, a Disney spokeswoman.

"Witness that now they come into the airport, get on a bus and go directly to their hotel (inside the Disney complex). To go with high-speed rail, we would be adding one stop at a rail station, where they would transfer to a bus. But for the good of the community, we're willing to advocate a two-tier system."

Disney favors having nonstop service along the Central Florida Greeneway to the south side of the airport. Local officials favor a route that stops at Disney, then continues up I-4 to the Bee Line Expressway, where another station would give access to the convention center and International Drive, and then to the north side of the airport.

C.C. "Doc" Dockery, the millionaire Lakeland businessman who used $2.7-million of his money to persuade voters to approve high-speed rail and who is a member of the rail authority board, said the route decision will be up to the vendor chosen to build, maintain and operate the system. And he expects that vendor to go with Disney's plan.

"Whoever it is will have to make a go of things without state subsidies," Dockery said. "If you've got a route that generates $25 million more in revenue than the alternative, the vendor is going to take it."

The controversy is a source of friction among those closest to the decision.

An exchange of e-mails last week between authority member Dunn and Tom Lewis, Disney vice president for transportation development, got downright testy.

Lewis accused Dunn of ignoring what's best for Orange County.

"Your interests seem to be solely focused on what's best for statewide high-speed rail," Lewis wrote. ". . . You are not thinking about, or apparently (are) concerned for what is best for this community. Let's be honest here. The issue is not about the convention center. That's just the patriotic symbol being used. The real issue is about one set of private interests vs. another."

Lewis also accused Dunn of "trying to grind some ax into Disney," and "taking shots at Disney."

Dunn fired back:

"You are correct, sir. My focus is on what's best for a statewide system. I rely on local government to tell me what is best for communities. . . . I have no ax to grind with Disney nor anyone else, but you will find that I am very resistive to manipulation by self-serving special interests. . . . If anyone has an ax to grind and a self-serving agenda, it's Disney."

Those who favor a rail stop that serves the convention center and other attractions have sought accommodation with Disney.

Kefauver says Orange County Chairman Richard Crotty offered the option of having every other train run nonstop between Disney and the airport. Disney turned it down.

Dunn has offered more.

"I've told them we can get them a train set all their own," he said.

"They can have naming rights. Call it the Disney Train. Put ears on it, I don't care. They passed."

MKCustodial

I like the whole train idea because it's gonna save us the trouble of renting cars. But Rob, do you think Disney is gonna get it their way? I mean, they were offered several great alternatives, like their own train, every other train being non-stop to WDW and the one I particularly like the most, the route going to WDW then going to International Drive, then back to the airport.

meanmice

I think that it's a great idea and it will save some hassle, but isn't Disney being a little unfair? Plus if you limit the stops to Disney then you will only have the 2.1 million riders (sorry if my number is off). Isn't it a waste at that point?

jmarc63

First I would like to answer passports question. WDW property is part in Orange county and part in Osceoloa county. The border of the two is at a point that if you were to take the Irlo Bronson Parkway also knowen as SR192 from Kissimee and at the point where 192 turns south to meet up with WDW's ,main entrance at World drive, If you draw that line straight east from that point that is where the county borders are. Most of the Resort faciliaties are in Orange county, except for the All Star resorts and Wide World of sports complex.

On to my comment on the thread

If anyone recalls since the late 1980's Disney has been rummored to have wanted to build a Monorail link from OIA to WDW. I am just wondering if this is a just posturing on Disneys part to get a propitary line from the airport to WDW, and they really don't want to be on the mainline of the high-speed link. It's a hard call for me to make at this time but who knows??

gjpjtj

I think we all can agree, a non-stop route from OIA to WDW, will be great! Lets hope Disney's strong arm tactics work!

Man I LOVE Disney!!!!:D :D

If I were in Disney's shoes, I would probably suggest that what they ought to do is something similar to the way the monorails run on the MK loop. Have a "Disney loop" non-stop from the airport to Disney and a local loop that makes all of the other stops.

Then build the route, and have the train direction in such a way that most people boarding at Disney to go elsewhere would have to take the "long way around". That in itself may make using the train to go elsewhere just as cumbersome as using any of the existing transportation, and disway people from using it to go somewhere other than the airport. But if people wanted to come from IOA to Disney for example, it would be a short ride and it may bring increased traffic into Disney.

This way everyone gets what they are looking for.

DisneyKrazed

I think this is a great thing for Disney. However, I do think its unfair to the other complexes in the area, mainly Universal. From Disneys point of view this is a great thing and it really is. But on the other hand, you must relize that the city's building this with there own money and to have one way transportation to a privite company is unfair.

CO-CFI

I was under the impression that one of the big reasons the monorail has not been expanded (besides the high cost) was that the land was a marsh area and the beams kept sinking into the ground. Now I am not an engineer, but won't the high speed train have the same problem? Or will it not be elevated? Just wondering.

prberk

One thing that everyone needs to KEEP in mind is the difference between high-speed rail and light rail (or any other system). High-speed rail (which is what the voters apparently approved to be built) is, in fact, high-speed and is NOT supposed to be for local use and frequent stops. It is a completely different design. It should really only stop after a significant travel distance (like between cities), then riders exit or transfer to local transportation (such as light rail, monorail, or traditional train).

This seems to support Disney's one-stop suggestion (whether or not that one stop is at Disney). Even Disney or I-Drive (or Universal) is really too close for a normal stop along high-speed rail (if the point of origin is the airport), but the high volume of visitors headed to the same hub or place would be a compelling argument for a stop in the area. Other local traffic should take over from there.

Great idea for The train. i dont have to ever use it b/c i drive from Jacksonville but this idea is awsome. the convience is great. Now if the train is going straight to disney is the Government paying for it or is disney. i think if disney had to I would Veto the idea.

jackzero

Sounds like disney is looking for a free ride...similar to what alot of sports teams have done when building their own facilities.

If disney/universal/ect.. is going to build commuter rail from a central area(MCO), the companies need to pony up most(75% min.) of the cash and maybe get a smaller tax abatement from the county or state. In exchange, they get most of the revenue from ridership.

SamatBCV

Originally posted by meanmice
I think that it's a great idea and it will save some hassle, but isn't Disney being a little unfair? Plus if you limit the stops to Disney then you will only have the 2.1 million riders (sorry if my number is off). Isn't it a waste at that point?

Sorry, but something here just made me chuckle. "you will only have the 2.1 million riders" :lol: Seems like a lot of riders to me.

Anyway, it all depends on how you look at it. From Disney's point of view, it makes sense to use some agressive tactics. The train won't get anywhere near the number of riders it would have if it doesn't go to Disney and therefore the vendor/state/county/city would lose revenue. Plus, while it may seem unfair, if I were King of Disney (who wouldn't want to be) I would think that to a large extent Disney made Orlando a tourist destination bringing in thousands of jobs and lots of money.

Since I am not King of Disney, I'd have to say that I do kinda think its unfair and if I were a local, I would not be happy about it. It's kinda weird for me to say that though since I would be one of the 2.1 million who would benefit from it and would love if they put in a direct route to Disney.

Wow, that's kinda rambling. :hammer:

Anyway, yes its kinda unfair, but I would like if it were direct to Disney.

Maerj

I think its a great idea! There should be a Disney MONORAIL train directly from the airport to the Resorts. They are the largest taxpayer in the state so a lot of their money will be paying for it anyway, right?

And it should be themed. I'd like to have a little animatronic Jiminy Cricket pop up and talk to the guests, or a Mickey/Donald/Goofy. And they could randomly talk to the guests on the way there. I'd ride that just to watch the show!

jmarc63

Originally posted by SamatBCV
.....I would think that to a large extent Disney made Orlando a tourist destination bringing in thousands of jobs and lots of money.

Thats true to an extent. Disney did make Orlando a tourist destination in the beginning. The became a pied piper if you will with all the other Attractions in the orlando area cashing in on the pontential to lure WDW visitors to there Attractions. But in the 30 years since WDW opened and with Sea World, USF/IOA and the others. Disney is not the king of Orlando anymore it seem. Tourists come to Orlando for other Attractions these days for other than WDW. Unfortunatly that is the way it has become like it or not, and if us members are a sampling of how othere feel about the delcine of WDW from how it was in the begining then they need to make some major improvements to the site or they will lose even more of the share of the Tourists that come to Orlando.

Maerj

Well, as far as posts debating the decline of WDW, I have found as many of you have, that the internet is a resource for people to moan, whine and complain about things they dearly love. WDW seems to be no exception. WDW is still the number one attraction in Florida, and the number one family tourist attraction in the world. Universal Studios is second and is a great park, but Disney is still the main draw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom