Disney Infinity: Your Reviews

WED99

My guess is that it's because playsets can only unlock what's already on the disc. The little playset piece doesn't actually contain the level, it just unlocks it on the disc. The only way to do new ones is a new disc, or DLC. I would be all for DLC but not everyone has their console online. You know parents would buy a playset not knowing you had to go online to download the new level, and be mad that they can't get it.
I thought about this when they announced how playsets work. It wouldn't be you hard to package a disc with the playset that you install onto the system.

gsrjedi

I think some of the problem is supporting the Wii version and maybe even the 3DS version. The Wii doesn't really do DLC, so it may have issues even if you use a disc to install DLC content, the 3DS version would obviously not work either. Though I guess that version is completely different anyways, so I don't know how playsets work on it.

Hopefully future games are priced a little cheaper. DI2 would need a starter pack SKU as well and if that's going to be $75 with 3 new figures, I don't want to pay $60 for a stand-alone game and be forced to pay extra to buy the new starter pack figures separately. I'd like it if future sequels can do like Rock Band and let me install content like my Toy Box unlocks and possibly playsets to the console for use in future games so I wouldn't have to swap discs. Lack of backwards compatibility in future consoles, plus potential Wii limitations, means I kinda think this game is almost a beta product in some ways.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think some of the problem is supporting the Wii version and maybe even the 3DS version. The Wii doesn't really do DLC, so it may have issues even if you use a disc to install DLC content, the 3DS version would obviously not work either. Though I guess that version is completely different anyways, so I don't know how playsets work on it.

This... that's why skylanders does discs. Plus, its another gimmic to sell more starter kits :)

In skylanders... compatibility is across the games, not the gaming platforms.

gsrjedi

I thought about this when they announced how playsets work. It wouldn't be you hard to package a disc with the playset that you install onto the system.
Part of this problem also is that instead of just selling a playset that's cross compatible, they've got to make versions for each system even though it's just the disc that changes. I could see parents getting confused if their kid had a Wii version & a friend had a different version, thinking they couldn't use their figures.

This... that's why skylanders does discs. Plus, its another gimmic to sell more starter kits :)

In skylanders... compatibility is across the games, not the gaming platforms.

One of my fears with this is having to buy $75 starter packs every time there's a new game.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We picked it up for Christmas presents figuring as popularity grows it may be more expensive later in the year. Purchased a number of characters and discs. Excited about the fact that it has a USB power supply vs battery like the Skylanders.

NowInc

No need to be bummed!! This is forwards compatible. Yes, the current disc is for this gen, but the base and the characters will be used on all future systems. It is only a usb plugin.

ACTUALLY..this has not been confirmed at all yet. In fact on his tumblr, Chad Liddell (Lead on the toybox team for Inifnity www.chadliddell.tumblr.com) was asked this EXACT question about it being for PS4 or XBoxOne and he clearly said that nothing has been announced. Now..this doesn't mean it WONT happen, but it also says its not confirmed.

gsrjedi

As a racing game fan, there's a lot of talk currently about using racing wheels on the next-gen systems. Microsoft has come out and said that no 360 accessories will work on the One, we don't know if the DI base qualifies. For the wheels, I guess the PS3 SDK won't work on the PS4 so the wheel manufacturers would have to update the firmware possibly. I'm not sure if any of that matters as far as the DI base goes, but there is a possibility there could be some issues.

Bparso87

Cool game got it for my son bc he loves skylanders and Disney so a perfect fit. My only issiue is the viewing on the toy box when u r building a little tough sometimes other then that and the money I will put into it it is a cool game.

dkosdros

Been seeing the commercials, reading the reviews and watching you tube videos of the game. Was hesitant at first thinking it would get boring and we would just be running around aimlessly with nothing to do. Went out last night to rent it and they didn't have it to rent. Was talking with the DW about if we should wait until the holidays and get it for our DD6. Well i couldn't wait any longer. We aren't going back to Disney World until Feb 2014 and I needed to get a Disney fix. Last weekend bought 4 vinylmations and then yesterday I ran to Best Buy with DD in hand and we bought it for our PS3. Picked up a booster pack with 2 discs in it and the game guide. $108 later we were walking out grinning ear to ear. Rushed home popped it in and unpacked everything. After about 20 minutes of updates and installing we were ready to play.

Gotta say this is the coolest game. Disney basically took all the best features from the best games and put them all into this one. Its an Role playing game, racing game, adventure, puzzle, mystery game, it has a kid like grand theft auto feel since you can do your missions or roam around exploring. Then it has the Minecraft, Sim city, Little Big Planet feel where you can create your own world. I was worried it was going to be to easy for myself but I found it easy at times and challenging at other times. The graphics are great, the game play is smooth. I was pretty impressed at times. For example I was playing as Cpt Jack Sparrow. I completed some missions and then bought a ship. I was out on the open ocean and the water went from calm to wavy the farther out I went. The waves seemed so real, with the roll they had and the water reflection. They really did a great job with the details of the game. I played for about 3 hours and completed what looks like only a small portion of the Pirates adventure. We still can do the Monsters and Incredibles adventures that came with the starter pack as well as create our own world in the toy box or visit or download others toy boxes. I kept thinking when playing the game why would I buy other characters when I am doing just fine with the one I am playing until I started coming across hidden treasure chests that had other characters on them and you needed them to open the chests to unlock more toys, gadgets, tools, etc... Sometimes you stumble across a vault that will have 3 characters on it and then you get a ton of stuff but you need to have all 3 characters on had to unlock it. So Disney figured out a way to make me want to buy the complete set so I can unlock all the cool stuff.

Overall my DD6 enjoys the game and said she can't wait to get out of school and come home and play it. She has never been a big gamer. Plays the wii from time to time, but never fully engrossed herself into a game and became attached the characters, worlds, and everything else. Some may say this is a bad thing and some may say its alright. Obviously you know my take on it. It gives our family our Disney fix, we have fun doing it, and we can't wait to see what they have planned for it.

A couple of interesting notes. I was able to link our Disney account that we use to book tickets, resort, etc.. to the game. I don't know how that will effect game play or traveling at all but it would be cool to incorporate something in the park to the game back at home. Like exclusive power discs only found in the parks and you get them after you complete the Pirates adventure thingy, or things similar to Sorcerer Mickeys. So you can continue the game in the parks in a sense and keep adding exclusive content. hey we can dream right?!!?

Another cool thing is they can keep adding and adding. They can add content from future movies like Frozen and anything else in the works, They can add content from previous ones like Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, or classics like Aladdin, or Snow White. So this was more of an investment for us. We see this game growing with us. It won't be the typical play the game, beat it, and you're done. I see many many years of game play and exploration.

They have announced they already have planned 3 waves. The first wave was the starter packs and characters and power discs that are out. They are expected to launch wave 2 which will release more play sets, characters, and power discs, and then wave 3 has already been planned to launch even more. I doubt they will stop there. We are already planning on building a nice shelving unit to store all the characters in and their power discs, they sell cases for the characters but they seem bulky and like they would be a pain to store, and they are plastic and i see them getting scratched or eventually getting broken, they sell cases to hold the power discs which my DW picked one up today so we don't lose them. Since they are small mostly clear plastic discs.

So hope you enjoyed my little review of it. If you have any questions ask away and well what are you waiting for... go buy yours now. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I had not thought of the potential link to Nextgen. I could see you earning stuff for say riding POTC at the theme parks. All this linked together.

NowInc

...I think I may have a problem...

XzjX4sT.jpg

NowInc

BTW for those who wonder why I buy figures and keep them in a box.

1.) The rare ones...I never open.

2.) you can still play them when they are in the box..the reader can scan through the cardboard :)

i have had a few people wonder why buy them if I dont play them...so just clearing that up :)

PraiseTheSun

I've just finished the Toy Story playset after playing through the Pirates and Incredibles a while back and I think I'm ready to put some thoughts down on paper.

By far the most enjoyable so far has been the Pirates playset. The ship mechanic works perfectly, it's a shame the world wasn't bigger, I really enjoyed sailing it. Toy Story in Space was a bit too repetitive for my liking - constant questing to and fro for the aliens did grate a bit but the final battle was fun. The jetpack from this playset is a huge plus and I'm sure there's plenty of fun to have in the Toy Box with it. The Incredibles set was ok, I enjoyed exploring the city and it felt like a truer sandbox than the others. I haven't touched the Monsters one yet, mainly because all I've heard is negative things but I saw the movie recently so my head has been turned toward it.

My major bug bear with all the playsets is the music. It's so similar in theme to the IP but how or why Disney couldn't use the soundtrack from the respective movies is beyond me. It just really led at me, particularly throughout the Pirates playset.

The Toy Box is a lot of fun, particularly with other players. Once I got back from WDW with my Toy Story playset my second controller broke because my lady fell asleep on it through jetlag so monies must be saved up for this experience again! Prior to this me and a friend spent aaaaages working on a race track with fireworks and what was the beginning of an awesome city. It's a shame the Toy Box fills up as quickly as it does, particularly if you're looking to build something dense and filled with set-pieces and buildings.

The spins I can live with. Yes it's frustrating and there are tricks to level up and earn spins but I much prefer natural progression than a grind. When me and a friend were playing Toy Box we did earn a few spins so it does happen slowly but surely. It's nice to see the developers not condemn those who do work out the way to spam levels, encouraging their discovery by experimenting.

My main concern with Infinity is its future, current-gen anyway. Disney Infinity 2 is indeed inevitable but I fear it's going to come sooner than anyone would like courtesy of next-gen consoles. Another concern I have is the lack of any 'Classic' Disney movies featuring, with the current hardware anyway. So far we've had more modern computer animated movies, live action or stop motion in either playset or character form. With the Agrabah Palace pack available through spins in the Toy Box I doubt we'll see Aladdin. The Stone Circle from Brave and Pride Rock possible rule out two more but we'll see of course. As mentioned I only refer to this through Disney Infinity's current guise, who knows what will happen in the future. Last and final concern lives in the Hall of Heroes. In its current state in the game all of the statue positions are filled up with just Phineas and Perry yet to be officially announced. There is some space for expansion behind where you drop in which could hopefully lead to a few spots where it would be nice to see some totally unannounced characters.

Rant over. I really do enjoy the game and it does fantastic fan service (bar the music.) I highly recommend to fans of Disney without kids. I often tell myself that all these characters I purchase are for the future wee ones. Sure Nathan, sure...

olinecoach61

We bought the starter pack for my daughter for Xmas. A week later and we are both addicted. I was very hesitant about the toy box idea but it is my favorite part. It feels like Legos and Disney combined. We. Have since picked up frozen two pack and rapunzel, this game is fun. The power disks can be annoying, we have two doubles already but the benefits of them are cool.

ExtinctJenn

We bought the starter pack for my daughter for Xmas. A week later and we are both addicted. I was very hesitant about the toy box idea but it is my favorite part. It feels like Legos and Disney combined. We. Have since picked up frozen two pack and rapunzel, this game is fun. The power disks can be annoying, we have two doubles already but the benefits of them are cool.
Two comments:

1) Prepare to spend loads of money! HAH!
2) Target actually has a special pack that comes with all of the series 2 power discs and the book to put them in (so you don't have to deal with duplicates). I'm waiting for payday and it's mine. LOL

erasure fan1

We just picked it up because target had the starter pack for $29.99. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay $75 for it. Maybe I am missing something (if I am please tell me, I haven't played a ton yet) but I just feel like if the characters don't have a playset, then they are really just a waste. I got Jack Skellington when it was released, before I had the game. Now I put him on the portal and aside from the downloadable toybox, he really doesn't have a lot to do. I get the "we want to keep our worlds consistent" but I think its garbage. I get you couldn't use lightning Mcqueen in pirates, but Skellington would work fine in pirates or monsters inc. The 3 playsets are pretty good but I just feel like it falls short and to spend another $30 for new ones is a real rip. The controls are a bit sloppy for my taste and the interface is not great but you get used to it. I really don't feel bad for $30 but I think I would have been a bit upset for full price. I guess the toybox aspect just isn't my cup of tee. Maybe it will grow on me, I started so now I need to get my achievements, maybe by then I will change my tune. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom