Disney Infinity: Your Reviews

Matt7187

I just picked it up at Gamestop, and here is what I have gotten so far:
-Starter pack for PS3
-Mater and a pack of Power Discs for free (preorder bonus)
-Sidekick Pack
-Crystal Lightning McQueen and Powe disc pack (Toys r us exclusives)

And in my first pack, I got the rare Abu elephant!

Will post my actual game review later.

EDIT: Today, I picked up the Lone Ranger play set, and the capsule for power discs.

Last edited:

NowInc

Spent the first half of today store hopping to make sure I got the best deals and it was WELL worth it. I love it! Its been a ton of fun and I still have a ton more to do.

Heres my rundown:
Gamestop: Got my starter, free character, and booster
Target: Had a sale on the Cars and Lone ranger sets for $18 a piece (great deal!)..so picked them up
Toys R US: But one get one 50% off on everything infinity related..so used that to get the rest of the characters (including crysal mcQueen). They also have a buy one get the 2nd for $1 on booster packs. So 18 packs later..Im pretty much set.

Just a note: The Toys R Us gold booster packs are all pretty much the same. You will get Mikes car in every one (at least the 4 that I got and the 4 my gf got all had the same chips in it).

WED99

Spent the first half of today store hopping to make sure I got the best deals and it was WELL worth it. I love it! Its been a ton of fun and I still have a ton more to do.

Heres my rundown:
Gamestop: Got my starter, free character, and booster
Target: Had a sale on the Cars and Lone ranger sets for $18 a piece (great deal!)..so picked them up
Toys R US: But one get one 50% off on everything infinity related..so used that to get the rest of the characters (including crysal mcQueen). They also have a buy one get the 2nd for $1 on booster packs. So 18 packs later..Im pretty much set.

Just a note: The Toys R Us gold booster packs are all pretty much the same. You will get Mikes car in every one (at least the 4 that I got and the 4 my gf got all had the same chips in it).
Those are really good deals but jeeez, how much did you spend?! Every character!

WED99

Honestly since I knew that EVENTUALLY I would be getting them all anyway, I took advantage of the sales. End of the day I'd say around $150..but I'm set until october :)
My preorder of the Starter Pack, Lone Ranger playset and Cars playset cost me $150 :banghead:

ExtinctJenn

Pre-ordered: PS3 version and chose Mater as our free character

What we left the store with on release day: PS3 version, Mater, our free power disc pack, Mike and an extra power disc pack

Blind Power Discs: Bolt power up, Cinderella's Carriage, Apu Elephant (rare), Sugar Rush theme and Tangled theme

What we have purchased since: Villains pack (Walmart - 50% off) as well as the Toys R Us exclusive Crystal McQueen figure (Ebay) which happened to come with the rare Mike's Car power disc as well as the Fix-It Felix power up (DS7 has no idea bout those last 3 yet)

At first we were lucky in that we were one of the PS3 users who didn't have a ton of issues on day 1. Unfortunately by day 2 the lock-up issues started. We followed the directions, uninstalled the patch and disconnected from the network and all was fine. We installed patch 1.03 this morning and are back online and working fine.

My general thoughts are that this is going to become a money pit for us. Not only does DS7 love it but myself and DH do as well and to me that's the mark of a great game/franchise.

We began with a full day of playing in the Toybox and with the Disney created Toyboxes you could download. Since that time we slowly got DS to explore the playsets, specifically the Monsters U one, and are loving it. Here are my more specific thoughts:
  1. I really like that you can unlock things in the Toybox by doing random things and/or earning "spins."
  2. I love that unlocking things in the playsets thus far is not only relatively easy but frequent.
  3. The ability to switch characters on the fly is fantastic and seems very responsive.
  4. The fact that you can chose whether or not to be shown the path to your objective is great for folks who don't want that extra help (or do).
  5. The fact that you can stack up to 3 power discs is a great feature and allows for more options.
  6. The figures are absolutely beautifully done and something I'll enjoy having on a shelf in my living room.
  7. It's a fantastic game for the family to play together and I also noticed we each enjoy watching someone play, especially in the playsets.
  8. I wish the Toybox was a little more intuitive in that it seems difficult to quickly and easily switch between different items/blocks in build mode.
  9. Being able to use figures that are vehicles (i.e. Cars franchise) as vehicles is awesome.
  10. I've yet to try to do something and have it not let me which tells me the goal of making this like a child sitting with a stack of toys able to do whatever their imagination comes up with, has been met. Sure there are limitations but being able to do things like pick up an animal, then be picked up, while still holding that animal, and then have the person who picked me up get on a vehicle... it's hilarious and great fun.
  11. The blind packs, though at first I really disliked the idea, are fun to open and be surprised. I'm betting some "trading circles" will start up (maybe even here on our forums?) for folks who end up with duplicates.
  12. I wish you could purchase the playset pieces separately as we have Mater and McQueen as single figures now but to get the Cars playset we'd have to buy the McQueen & Holly pack (thus duplicating McQueen).
  13. Limiting coop in the playsets to only figures from that franchise makes sense and is a great way to get people to buy more figures (let's be honest, the goal for Disney/Avalanche is to make money).
  14. I would LOVE to see some special park-exclusive figures and/or power discs show up in the future, possibly as rewards for some of the new interactive games they've put into play like used to be done with VMK back in the day.
So there ya go! My "review" of sorts!

WED99

Got my copy yesterday and played it from 2 until 10 PM. I'm in love. The play sets are so well made, especially Cars and The Lone Ranger. I am eager to keep unlocking more toys in the toy box.

This is going to cost me a fortune but I think it's a nice hobby to have.

bsiev1977

Sorta bummed about this one.
Skipping this since ill be getting the new XBOX in November, and don't want to sink much more money into the current generation.

Sorta bummed about this one.
Skipping this since ill be getting the new XBOX in November, and don't want to sink much more money into the current generation.

No need to be bummed!! This is forwards compatible. Yes, the current disc is for this gen, but the base and the characters will be used on all future systems. It is only a usb plugin.

bsiev1977

If they release a version of the game for Xbox One then the reader and all the toys should be compatible.
That's what I meant. I don't think I've seen anything about version for the next gen.
Since it seems to be reviewing well, if it sells enough they'll port it over at some point.

gsrjedi

I'm guessing that when they eventually get around to them, Marvel & Star Wars could justify having their own Infinity games. They have enough characters and could probably come up with enough ideas to justify having multiple new play sets for each franchise.

Since this is a post for reviews, I'll post some thoughts since I've gotten a chance to play for a couple hours now. Playing on PS3 with the new patch with no major problems what-so-ever. I've put a couple hours into the Incredibles & Monsters U play sets so far & briefly popped into the Toy Box & POTC play set. While I'd hesitate to call the game great, I'm really enjoying it. The missions are easy & quick enough that you just run through a bunch and next thing you know, it's 2 hours later.

Furiated

I hope not. I want to play on next gen but I don't want yearly games. Why not just release playsets?

My guess is that it's because playsets can only unlock what's already on the disc. The little playset piece doesn't actually contain the level, it just unlocks it on the disc. The only way to do new ones is a new disc, or DLC. I would be all for DLC but not everyone has their console online. You know parents would buy a playset not knowing you had to go online to download the new level, and be mad that they can't get it.

ExtinctJenn

My guess is that it's because playsets can only unlock what's already on the disc. The little playset piece doesn't actually contain the level, it just unlocks it on the disc. The only way to do new ones is a new disc, or DLC. I would be all for DLC but not everyone has their console online. You know parents would buy a playset not knowing you had to go online to download the new level, and be mad that they can't get it.
I have to wonder though if they'd do DLC in some way in the future and/or offer the next versions that way vs. a whole new disc. I'd certainly prefer that as it seems having to switch discs to switch playsets could be the death of what is a fantastic game.

Furiated

I have to wonder though if they'd do DLC in some way in the future and/or offer the next versions that way vs. a whole new disc. I'd certainly prefer that as it seems having to switch discs to switch playsets could be the death of what is a fantastic game.

Yeah I'm curious to see what they do as well. I'd much prefer DLC. But I think Skylanders (which I know nothing about) has the same issue and I saw someone say that Skylanders has never done DLC, only disc releases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom