Disney in Late February

Chef Mickey

When does the Spring Break rush start? I typically go in January, but might give February to the first couple days in March a try this year.

Anything to watch for during these times?

Figured it should be reasonably slow, but I might be forgetting a Brazilian holiday or event since I'm usually not there.

Anyone like this time?

jamesgf

We usually plan to go in late January, this time we are heading down Feb 28th to March 6th, right before the spring break rush. I'm hoping the crowds are reasonable.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

When does the Spring Break rush start? I typically go in January, but might give February to the first couple days in March a try this year.

Anything to watch for during these times?

Figured it should be reasonably slow, but I might be forgetting a Brazilian holiday or event since I'm usually not there.

Anyone like this time?
You should be OK. Out of all my trips to WDW, at least 60% of them have been the last week of February into the first week of March. I found it to be an ideal time to go. There are additional people in the parks during that time mostly because the way up north frozen people get to go because they have a mid-winter vacation in the schools.

I found it to be pleasant crowd wise. Just enough to make the place seem alive and jumpin', but, not enough to be stepping all over people. I have seen some tour groups, but, not very many. Most of the attractions are open because spring break folks start to show up the following weeks. The weather has always been good when I was there. Cool in the morning, but, quickly warmed up. I, being one of those frozen northern people for many years, was quite happy and comfortable wearing shorts and T's. I can specifically remember having the car heater on in the morning and by noon running the AC. The kids always used the pools. I remember only one day that was chilly all day long in all of the trips. In all those trips I was rained on only once and that was a surprise. It happened after dark and came in totally unexpected and unseen. It was, however, a truly Florida type rain experience. Rain coming in sideways and in buckets. There was no need to run because after about one minute you just weren't going to get any wetter. That can happen anytime of the year in Florida.

When I can work it out, it still is my preferred time to visit and I no longer have any kids in school. I do have some grandkids in school, but, I currently live in North Carolina and am not anywhere near as frozen as I once was and they don't get that same school break. They are weak down here. If they get so much as 4 snow flakes the schools (and everything else for that matter) close down for a week anyway. So, they are always having to make up snow days.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Thanks for the input...I know January can be chilly, but figured Late Fenruary might already be pushing 60s during the day.

There are northerners with some break during February?

Upvote 0
One of my very favorite WDW trips was a solo I did Feb 28-March 6 of 2013. Great weather, crowds very reasonable and I was able to catch the very beginning of F&G.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

I can't speak for every part of the north, but, I know back when my kids were small and in school, in Vermont they always had the last week in February off into the first 3 days of March. I know that pretty much all of New England and New York did the same. That was when we went to WDW. The late morning through afternoon temperatures was usually in the mid to upper 70's.

Upvote 0

Raineman

You should be OK. Out of all my trips to WDW, at least 60% of them have been the last week of February into the first week of March. I found it to be an ideal time to go. There are additional people in the parks during that time mostly because the way up north frozen people get to go because they have a mid-winter vacation in the schools.

I found it to be pleasant crowd wise. Just enough to make the place seem alive and jumpin', but, not enough to be stepping all over people. I have seen some tour groups, but, not very many. Most of the attractions are open because spring break folks start to show up the following weeks. The weather has always been good when I was there. Cool in the morning, but, quickly warmed up. I, being one of those frozen northern people for many years, was quite happy and comfortable wearing shorts and T's. I can specifically remember having the car heater on in the morning and by noon running the AC. The kids always used the pools. I remember only one day that was chilly all day long in all of the trips. In all those trips I was rained on only once and that was a surprise. It happened after dark and came in totally unexpected and unseen. It was, however, a truly Florida type rain experience. Rain coming in sideways and in buckets. There was no need to run because after about one minute you just weren't going to get any wetter. That can happen anytime of the year in Florida.

When I can work it out, it still is my preferred time to visit and I no longer have any kids in school. I do have some grandkids in school, but, I currently live in North Carolina and am not anywhere near as frozen as I once was and they don't get that same school break. They are weak down here. If they get so much as 4 snow flakes the schools (and everything else for that matter) close down for a week anyway. So, they are always having to make up snow days.
Thanks for the info-my family and I will be at WDW from Feb 28-Mar 6, and I was curious about the weather and crowds. Does it get cool enough in the morning/evening to justify wearing a sweater/light jacket to the parks, or is it at a level where you can tough it out a bit (I'm Canadian, so cool weather doesn't affect me too much)? I'd rather not have to lug extra clothing around the parks all day.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Thanks for the info-my family and I will be at WDW from Feb 28-Mar 6, and I was curious about the weather and crowds. Does it get cool enough in the morning/evening to justify wearing a sweater/light jacket to the parks, or is it at a level where you can tough it out a bit (I'm Canadian, so cool weather doesn't affect me too much)? I'd rather not have to lug extra clothing around the parks all day.
It's a personal thing. I never found it necessary, but, check the local weather when you are there. It can stay cool all day, but, it usually doesn't. If the sun is shining, I wouldn't hesitate to forget about the light jacket, if not I would wear one. I hate extra baggage so I sometimes dealt with a little cool air for a couple of hours rather then drag extra clothing around. If you have a smart phone download the weather channel app. It breaks down the temperatures by the hour and you can tell whether or not it is needed. The one day that I had to use a jacket all day, it was clear, but, there was a strong north wind. Not having a jacket in that can be quite uncomfortable. Morning fluffy frost is not all that unusual that time of year, but, like I said, it normally dissipates very quickly.

Upvote 0

Raineman

It's a personal thing. I never found it necessary, but, check the local weather when you are there. It can stay cool all day, but, it usually doesn't. If the sun is shining, I wouldn't hesitate to forget about the light jacket, if not I would wear one. I hate extra baggage so I sometimes dealt with a little cool air for a couple of hours rather then drag extra clothing around. If you have a smart phone download the weather channel app. It breaks down the temperatures by the hour and you can tell whether or not it is needed. The one day that I had to use a jacket all day, it was clear, but, there was a strong north wind. Not having a jacket in that can be quite uncomfortable. Morning fluffy frost is not all that unusual that time of year, but, like I said, it normally dissipates very quickly.
Thanks. I spent a week and a half at the end of January last year in the Cape Coral-Fort Myers area, so I have definitely experienced some Florida winter-there were a couple of nights where the temperature approached the freezing mark.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

We are planning to go February 2017 during Mardi Gras break (Feb 22 - 28). Hoping for lower crowds since I've never been during Mardi Gras.
From what I have heard, most of the residents of New Orleans show up at WDW to avoid the Mardi Gras madness. Just what I've heard though, never have witnessed it. Of course, Mardi Gras isn't always during the same week each year.

Upvote 0

Lsumatt72

From what I have heard, most of the residents of New Orleans show up at WDW to avoid the Mardi Gras madness. Just what I've heard though, never have witnessed it. Of course, Mardi Gras isn't always during the same week each year.
I'm hoping since Mardi Gras falls after Columbus Day next year that a lot of the crowds will already be gone.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Does Epcot during the F&G get as busy as it does during F&W? We will be at Epcot just after F&G starts.
I've been several times in early May and crowds are very manageable. I think F&G is mostly an event seen as "Oh, the F&G Festival is going on," rather than people planning to go during it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom