Disney/Iger response to Desantis battle?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
In keeping in context of this tread to avoid being blocked. I think Disney/Iger should keep quiet and work behind the scenes to get the parental right law reversed in Florida
I truly believe they are doing that. They're still the largest lobbying force in the state.

Disstevefan1

I truly believe they are doing that. They're still the largest lobbying force in the state.
Just my opinion, Disney/Iger should have kept quiet from the start and used their tremendous power behind the scenes.

I know, I know, I know, 1A rights but talk is cheap and in this case triggered a gov.

I also know, many will disagree with me. That’s OK. Differing opinions should always be heard and never blocked.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Iger and Co. should invite DeSantis and the legislature down to Orlando for a week-long conference so they can directly communicate their issues, instead of letting the press/twittersphere/rumor mill mistranslate, exaggerate, hysterically hyperbolize and in any other way misrepresent what they actually want to say to each other.

I think that once the parties got together, and the politicians personally experience the atmosphere and community around WDW, and the Disney side sees the pols and their families in the resort setting enjoying themselves, the sides will soften their positions to the point of a meaningful and mutually beneficial compromise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Regardless of where you are politically on this or anything else, it is really stupid for companies to play politics or make any statement. Just focus on running your business.

Disney's management has done a terrible job running Disney over the last 3-4 years. Sure, Covid didn't help, but their costs are out of control, the dividend is suspended still, and they have plenty of nonsense to clean up to become a respectable company again.

I didn't want Chapek, but I'm beginning to think Iger and the whole management team needs to go. They are all too old and running the company into the ground. The CFO should be fired over just the cost issues. The FCF Disney is producing is shameful for a company with this many high quality assets. This isn't Paramount.

As a shareholder, I'm frustrated. As a fan, I've been disappointed in many decisions over the last several years.

Disney is a leader. The fact they are struggling to run this business is purely because of incompetent management.

The fact they are participating in this fight underscore the incompetence.
You win this thread…by being the first to make an impossible suggestion that fits nothing about Disney corporate history 😎

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger and Co. should invite DeSantis and the legislature down to Orlando for a week-long conference so they can directly communicate their issues, instead of letting the press/twittersphere/rumor mill mistranslate, exaggerate, hysterically hyperbolize and in any other way misrepresent what they actually want to say to each other.

I think that once the parties got together, and the politicians personally experience the atmosphere and community around WDW, and the Disney side sees the pols and their families in the resort setting enjoying themselves, the sides will soften their positions to the point of a meaningful and mutually beneficial compromise.
That’s your idea from reading the tea leaves?

Yoi…nevermind 🤐

Ayla

LOL You think none of them have ever visited WDW before? 🤣 DeSantis was married at WDW and I am positive even FL politicians take their families to WDW. I can say with confidence the vast majority of them have visited at some point in their lives.

(There is no "mutually beneficial compromise" for Disney.)

pdude81

Futurama Squinting GIF

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

I could see this happening next time a blizzard hits Florida.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster

Sounds very "pie in the sky".
While a peaceful negotiation would be ideal now, I think it's gone too far for that.
It was rumored that there was a meeting with the governor's office back in March and they basically told Disney to "pound sand".

I really don't see the issue as the Florida political leaders not understanding Disney. That may be the case, but I don't think they really care either. They just see this out of control business whose corp leadership is in another state trying to dictate or defy the policies for the state, and they've gotten their egos bruised.

The only way I see them retreating now is by a judge declaring that Desantis and the Legislature over-stepped their legal authority.

mgf

The only way I see them retreating now is by a judge declaring that Desantis and the Legislature over-stepped their legal authority.

Desantis wants this to happen. It is his out and his victory. Not any of the stuff he claims to want to do to TWDC. He wants to lose in the courts. ALL of his actions indicate this is the goal. He doesn't want to catch the car.

AEfx

Desantis wants this to happen. It is his out and his victory. Not any of the stuff he claims to want to do to TWDC. He wants to lose in the courts. ALL of his actions indicate this is the goal. He doesn't want to catch the car.

To be honest, I don't even think he cares that far into it. By the time any court rules anything that matters, no matter what way any decision goes, he has already moved on and it doesn't affect him really either way. He's not going to run for governor of FL again, either.

Right now he's clearly running for the Republican nomination. That's different than running for the presidency itself. He is going to continue to play it tough with Disney because that's what his base likes (the 20-25% of the electorate who already despises Disney and will never vote anything but Republican). He is trying to demonstrate to them that "hey, I don't just have a big mouth on Twitter like my opponent - my barks actually have bite" (even if that bite doesn't actually end up sticking).

If he can convince that base that he is the better choice by going after who they don't already like, that's all he needs here. Whatever happens down the line isn't going to affect him in a general election, because general elections aren't about getting people on your side - they are just about getting the vote out. Especially in today's political environment, absolutely no one is going to change from red to blue and suddenly say, "You know what, after that Disney thing, I'm going to vote for Biden instead", any more than, say, anything that ever actually happens with Hunter Biden is going to convince anyone to vote for the republican nominee instead of Biden.

LittleBuford

Especially in today's political environment, absolutely no one is going to change from red to blue and suddenly say, "You know what, after that Disney thing, I'm going to vote for Biden instead", any more than, say, anything that ever actually happens with Hunter Biden is going to convince anyone to vote for the republican nominee instead of Biden.
A few people in the other thread (I believe @Vegas Disney Fan may have been one of them) have said that DeSantis has lost their support because of what he's doing to Disney. That doesn't mean they'll vote for Biden, but it does mean they'll hold their vote back from DeSantis.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Iger already said he tried to meet with DeSantis and didn’t get a response. DeSantis doesn’t want to meet with Iger. He wants photo ops and soundbites and red meat for his base.

Yep. If this were truly about Disney not "paying their fair share", then that is something that they could sit down and negotiate over.

Vegas Disney Fan

A few people in the other thread (I believe @Vegas Disney Fan may have been one of them) have said that DeSantis has lost their support because of what he's doing to Disney. That doesn't mean they'll vote for Biden, but it does mean they'll hold their vote back from DeSantis.

90% of the time this is true, last election being a rare exception where I actually voted for the other guy because I disliked “our” guy so much.

I’ve “wasted” many votes on 3rd party candidates over the years, I know they have no chance of winning but it sure feels nice walking out of the voting booth knowing I voted for the best candidate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
LOL You think none of them have ever visited WDW before? 🤣 DeSantis was married at WDW and I am positive even FL politicians take their families to WDW. I can say with confidence the vast majority of them have visited at some point in their lives.

(There is no "mutually beneficial compromise" for Disney.)
They've never all been there at the same time, with exclusive access to the MK, free food and drinks with live entertainment. And there's always a mutually beneficial compromise... you just have to find it.

lazyboy97o

They've never all been there at the same time, with exclusive access to the MK, free food and drinks with live entertainment. And there's always a mutually beneficial compromise... you just have to find it.
In order to compromise you first have to have a genuine, good faith disagreement. You also need mutual concessions. One side making concessions in response to a proxy concern isn’t compromise.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In order to compromise you first have to have a genuine, good faith disagreement. You also need mutual concessions. One side making concessions in response to a proxy concern isn’t compromise.
Don't knock it until they've tried it.

LittleBuford

They’re knee-deep in litigation. You think a day out in the Magic Kingdom is suddenly going to undo all that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom